Poll: Your opinion on School Uniforms.

Rossco64

Apr 14, 2009
Okay before we start could I just ask any perverts to, um, leave. I'm not judging it's just that you will probably be disappointed, and I uh think that it would be best, for all parties involved in this topic, that this possible misunderstanding be brought up now. I would turn around or close my eyes, so as to avoid embarrassment for any perverts, but I'm not going to because, y'know the whole pervert thing... Yeah.

Well with that out the way what is escapist's views on school uniforms. Do you live somewhere that has them but you think shouldn't? Do you live somewhere that doesn't have them but think should? Did you wear them at school?

Personally, being from Scotland, I had to wear a uniform to both my Primary and High schools. While my Primary School uniform was a fairly basic jumper polo shirt combo it had a bad ass Silver Griffin for a crest while other schools has trees, and fields for their's, making it the greatest primary school uniform in Scotland =P.

I liked my High school uniform as well. It was a shirt, tie, blazer combo, and was actually surprisingly versatile when it came to the styles you could wear it in. Personally I went with a Spike Spiegel (Cowboy Bebop) look for my last couple of years.

My opinion on uniforms in general is that they are a good thing. It's a lot harder for someone to be bullied for the clothes they wear when everyone is wearing the same thing (though, I admit it's not impossible), some teach how to tie a tie (hey it's a skill!) and unlike what a certain Simpsons episode would have you believe their is still room for individuality.

Quaxar

Sep 21, 2009
Yes for wizard schools, no for me personally.

I enjoy my personal clothes far too much to give them up for some silly uniform look. Besides, how would I have ever been able to wear my favourite kilt to school with such a system in place!

Fractral

Tentacle God
Feb 28, 2012
No, and I go to a school that requires them, even now that I'm in the sixth form. It is hot in summer, cold in winter, costs and arm and a leg, and looks horrible. It is an absolute pain to have to wear, and if you have it the way the teachers say you should it is uncomfortable as hell.

klown

Jun 6, 2012
I went to a few different schools with a uniform. I found if the school is willing to pay for the uniform for the students, then it's okay. If they aren't paid for and are expensive, then it's not really a good idea.

repeating integers

Mar 17, 2010
I'm in 6th form now, which only has a dress code. Used to have a uniform however. Considering the amount of fashion-based teasing that went on even on the non-uniform days, I'd say this was a very good thing indeed.

aba1

Mar 18, 2010
I had a uniform in highschool and I hated it though I won't lie I didn't enjoy the girls kilts. The thing I hate about uniforms is that your clothes are part of what defines you to the people around you. If you wear uniform it is like lying about your interests style and personality. I am one the people who thinks people need to be a lot less judgmental though, everyone is so quick to point a finger but so afraid to address their own problems. If people were less judgmental uniforms would be pointless.

Tayh

Apr 6, 2009
Ah hah. No way.
I find the mere idea of a forced school uniform to be preposterous.
<- Lives in Denmark and did/does not have to wear a school uniform.

Khinjarsi

Mar 14, 2011
The problem I faced with uniform was the cost. At one of my secondary schools it was a blazer, ties, shirts, most of which were colour and badge specific to that school. In my last year at secondary (Year 11) we had a completely different uniform from the years below, which is all well and good but I always thought that the cost for the year was ridiculous.

I guess my opinion is yes it's a good thing for creating one thing that is the same across students, but no when there are silly prices, whether for one year group or for the initial purchase.

ohnoitsabear

Feb 15, 2011
I have never had to wear a uniform in school, and, frankly, I don't really see the point to them (with maybe a few exceptions). It's not that they're some great evil that needs to be eradicated from the world, they just don't seem to serve much of a purpose, at least from my perspective.

Although I firmly believe that if a school is going to make you wear a uniform, it better be really cheap, or the school should pay for it. Making people pay for an expensive uniform is just bullshit.

Glaciatedhands

Dec 6, 2012
I went to a school that required uniforms and I generally liked the idea.
A. I looked smart as hell
B. It stopped bullying based off of opinions (Which at my school was still pretty bad)
C. If there was a problem with the students harassing people on the streets after or during school hours, it was easier for the members of the public to say "It was this school"
D. Many nearby stores gave us discounts because of the school uniform which is nice.

Jamieson 90

Mar 29, 2010
Live in the UK here so school uniforms are pretty much required for every school although I'm sure there are some exceptions, and with that said I generally liked them for a number of reasons.

1. They made me look smart and I do believe it did help on a subconscious level to get me in the right frame of mind for school.

2. It saved me a lot of time in the morning as I didn't have to look for a new outfit to wear, I honestly couldn't have seen my self doing that every morning considering how lazy I was as a teen, I'd of probably looked like a right scruff.

3. Generally cheaper than my normal clothes so not too bad if they got damaged; i.e. paint in art, acid in science etc etc.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Yes (when to shool that require them) despite it was annoying at times (the time to get changed after school).

Look at it this way, most jobs require you to wear a uniform so it may as well get you in the mindset to wear one at an early age.

Granted I don't if that does mean anything compare to those who grew up not wearing one from school that did not require uniform at all.

Moderated

May 12, 2012
Glaciatedhands said:
B. It stopped bullying based off of opinions (Which at my school was still pretty bad)
C. If there was a problem with the students harassing people on the streets after or during school hours, it was easier for the members of the public to say "It was this school"
D. Many nearby stores gave us discounts because of the school uniform which is nice.
Glaciatedhands said:
Glaciatedhands said:
was still pretty bad
So it didn't stop it at all. Anyway, I don't think I've ever seen bullying because of the way you dress. It's always personality or interests or your body.

Glaciatedhands

Dec 6, 2012
Moderated said:
Glaciatedhands said:
Glaciatedhands said:
Glaciatedhands said:
was still pretty bad
So it didn't stop it at all. Anyway, I don't think I've ever seen bullying because of the way you dress. It's always personality or interests or your body.
Firstly, My apologies on my derpy typing. It reduced it since we had days where you wore your own clothes and on those days... well... lets just say you shouldn't bring in your £100 jeans. What also I picked up is that many people wore band shirts and football shirts which then caused problems with fans of the opposing bands/teams and all hell broke loose.

Lethos

Dec 9, 2010
I'm in the UK where every school I have seen has a uniform. The exception is Sixth Form Colleges (ages 17 & 18) which allow you to wear your own clothes, and Sixth Form Years at schools where you wear a suit.

I hated wearing a uniform when I was at school, but now that I'm at University I can look back at them and sort of appreciate the sense of formality they gave to the class room. I'm not convinced that they stop bullying based on clothing because when I was at school it simply changed from bullying someone based on what they wear to bullying someone based on how they wore the uniform. I do think they perform a valuable function though, and that's installing a sense of belong-ship(?) in the children to their school. Then when you reach Sixth Form College and can wear your own clothes or wear a suit, that serves as a transgressional phase to real life.

thesilentman

What this
Jun 14, 2012
I quite like them. I've never gone to a school that has them, but I like the classy look and the fact that it's hard for people to judge on what I wear.

Saviordd1

Jan 2, 2011
My high school requires a school uniform, the shirts are expensive and the khakis are annoying.

You try waiting for a bus in fucking khakis in the middle of a new england winter at 5:45 in the morning, you lose all sensation down there.

And I mean ALL sensation.

Also it makes us look like idiots and people lose a sense of identity, but considering our principal is going for "Best comic book villain impersonator" maybe that was the intention.

Arakasi

Jun 14, 2011
I've been to one school with an extremely strict uniform policy, and another with none.
I can certainly say that the latter is preferable, at least in the later ages of schooling.

Powereaver

Apr 25, 2010
I did go to schools that required a uniform.. and i understand the reasoning behind a uniform... it makes it a LOT easier to keep track of their kids.. as much as my teenage me goes.. THEY WERE SO ANNOYING TO WEAR .. (well the formal uniform at least).. if i couldve stayed in my Sports Uniform 365 days a year.. that wouldve been so much better!