Poll: Your opinion on School Uniforms.

The Funslinger

Corporate Splooge
Sep 12, 2010
In both my primary and secondary schools, there were mixed people in terms of financial origin. So maybe the uniforms helped limit some of the bullying, though bullying based on other factors still existed. We did have none uniform days, and nobody was bullied for clothes that wasn't already bullied for other reasons, anyway.

Given the choice as a kid, I'd have picked uniform, though it's really only been in the last two or three years my sense of style has developed. That said, nobody in my secondary school had a sense of style, unless you counted blindly following the most prevalent trends.

In any case, as has been mentioned, at least it solved my issue of having to pick clothes for the day.

Able Seacat

Jun 18, 2012
I had to wear a uniform in school but I quite liked it. It was just black shoes, black trousers, a white polo t-shirt and a jumper which was royal blue with our emblem of a phoenix.

Abomination

Dec 17, 2012
I enjoyed having uniforms, then again the uniform at my school was functional and mostly a mix of navy blue and greys - rather neutral appearance wise.

Anything that prevents or dis-encourages bullying based on appearances is good in my books. Not that I ever suffered it but bore witness to it frequently, especially among females when I have observed schools without uniforms.

Rinshan Kaihou

Dec 3, 2009
Maybe it's because I've watched so much anime, but it's actually weird to think that most schools do not require uniforms. I also like them. Maybe they exaggerate how they look on girls.... Hmmmmm.

Ed130 The Vanguard

(Insert witty quote here)
Sep 10, 2008
My high shchool was a a little different. For the first 3 years there you had to wear a uniform but once you reached 6th form (or Year 12 as it called now) you could wear mufti.

The idea was that 17/18 year olds were more mature and should be treated like adults.

Anti Nudist Cupcake

Mar 23, 2010
Went to schools with and without uniforms.

It's nice to be able to wear comfortable clothing but a uniform is almost like a badge of membership that shows you belong.

So I'm indifferent on this subject I'm afraid.

laggyteabag

Scrolling through forums, instead of playing games
Legacy
Oct 25, 2009
UK
From Primary School, all the way up to high school I had to wear uniform; and I hated it, but after a while it didn't bother me. When I went into year 10 at my college I no longer had to wear uniform, at least until my new head teacher came in and changed everything. At first it wasn't too bad, he implemented a dress code so that you couldn't reveal too much (No short-short, no short skirts, and bizarrely no visible shoulders but m'kay) but this didn't really affect me, being a guy im not exactly known to be wearing short-shorts or short-skirts for that matter, and I've never really been a tank-top kinda guy.

Then in Year 11 it all went tits-up. He introduced a school uniform for year 10's and 11's, but not 12 and up, so if i wanted to stay at the school (which I did) I needed to buy a WHOLE NEW SET of uniform to wear for not even an entire year. This change frustrated a LOT of parents, but the plans went ahead anyway, as his justification for it was "Well, its not a uniform for the Year 11's, its a 'dress code'" (What he really meant by 'dress code' was, "You just dont have to wear school branded uniform, but you still have to wear this, this and this. So it was effectively the school uniform, bar the school logos). He also gave a lot of BS reasons for implementing the change such as -
It will improve students learning
It will improve our neighbours respect for the school and its pupils
It will allow our students to look more formal (probably the only legit reason)

TL;DR All in all, I hate it.

EDIT: Uniform is also paper thin, so when its cold, everybody gets cold and complains
EDIT 2: The dress code also stated that clothing could NOT be skin-tight, and hair had to be of a natural colour, and not too long

Nexxis

Jan 16, 2012
I'm pretty indifferent towards school uniforms. I attended a school that required uniforms many years ago from kindergarten to 3rd grade. I never had a problem with them.

Agayek

Ravenous Gormandizer
Oct 23, 2008
I had to wear a uniform in primary school, then just had a fairly loose dress code in high school.

Really didn't like the uniform. It was never comfortable, no matter what I did. I don't mind dress codes, but having an actual uniform is just silly.

Miles Maldonado

Oct 11, 2011
As long as it's reasonable stuff that isn't expensive or is issued by the school itself, making everyone look the same would make them focus on schoolwork instead of wearing what's "in".

Because a hormonal teenager doesn't need food for those thoughts, I'll be perfectly honest.

Shock and Awe

Winter is Coming
Sep 6, 2008
Nyet. Partially because I'd rather dress in what is actually comfortable and partially I've heard they tend to be on the expensive side.

FFP2

Dec 24, 2012
I'm all for school uniforms but unfortuantely some slutty high schoolers tend to exploit it. Hike their skirts up so high that you can see everything but complain that nobody respects them.

Knusper

Sep 10, 2010
I'm in the sixth form in the UK, which requires a suit but no specific uniform. I like it because of reasons already listed but you also have the opportunity to wear something that fits you (both physically and stylistically), and not the silly wide blazers they make children wear even if they are way too big for them.

EeveeElectro

Cats.
Aug 3, 2008
I'm quite glad I had uniform looking back on it, there's no way I would have enough outfits to last me 5 days and I would have looked scruffy.
I don't think it changed a thing about bullying. all the cliques hung out together regardless and people will get bullied for things other than their clothes. A lot of people tried customising their uniforms and pushing what they could get away with until they got told off. A lot of girls (saw one get off the bus the other week so I see they still do it) used to wear the tightest, shortest skirts which barely covered their arses. Some others would wear badges and jewelry.

Even if everyone went to my school in matching potato sacks, there would still be bullies.

I think it usually looks better and smarter too.

generals3

Mar 25, 2009
Never had to wear a uniform and i don't think i'd like it. And tbh, i have never seen lots of bullying due to clothing either, sure some times you may have had some teasing but i've never seen someone cry because he/she was bullied for his/her clothing.

I think uniforms solve an non-existent issue.

JSDodd

Jul 29, 2010
My brother and father are both teachers. When this topic comes up they both say that schools with uniforms have one less thing for kids to be cliquey about. It's harder for rich kids to pick on poor kids and it stops parents from having to spend huge sums of money on ensuring their kids have the newest "trendiest" clothes.

On a more cynical note it also prepares kids for a work environment: most jobs require a person to wear a uniform of some description (even if it's just "dress smart and wear black/dark blue")

That One Guy

Nov 14, 2012
My current school has a pretty strict dress code. I've never really minded, I only wish that they looked cooler (black trousers, white shirt, school tie and black blazer with the school crest isn't even that distinct from other schools, though the girls do wear a nice shade of green). What annoys me is how you are only allowed to wear schools scarves and coats, that you have to buy, on school property.
I also couldn't be bothered to have to pick out clothes everyday.

Bigsmith

Mar 16, 2009
Every school I went to required a uniform, and I support Uniforms.

Why?

-Looked smart
-Made me stand out (was at the Grammar School with very few students)
-Made it a lot easier to get ready in the morning.

I feel that it prevents bullying, but only if it's to do with cloths. People are still bullied for stereotypical reasons I can assure you as I was on the receiving end of it mostly.