Poll: Your Weapon of Choice?

Blunderboy

Apr 26, 2011
Generally I'll tend towards an assault rifle but one with a semi automatic mode and a high accuracy.
So generally an m14 or similar.

Trippy Turtle

Elite Member
May 10, 2010
I would go with semi automatic things, but as thats not an option probably the shotgun depending on the game. In Halo I would choose the sniper, in CoD I would go knifing.
Of course, my weapon of choice is generally the environment where possible. Either running people over, knocking them off cliffs or simply rolling the ever present red barrels towards them until they kill themselves.

Longstreet

Jun 16, 2012
Depends on the game.

And my mood really,

BF 3 depend heavily on my mood (since each class has its perks) But sniper rifle usually.
L4D2 Shotgun and melee (preferably a katana)
Skyrim right now i am using a bow and arrow.

When i was still playing swat4 i ALWAYS carried a GAL sub machine gun (one of the few people using it)

Gypsyssilver

Nov 23, 2012
Honestly, it depends on the game I'm playing and the kind of enemies I'm going up against.

In general I'd rather play with a sniper rifle. There's something really satisfying about bringing the pain from where your opponent can't even see you much less reach you. I hate melee - I prefer having the time to think about my next move instead of having to change plans on the fly.

I'd only use another weapon if I had no choice, or if it was against the kind of enemy where it would be suicide/stupid to use any other kind of weapon (like trying to use a pistol against a enemy who needs a rocket launcher to bring him down etc).

Cette

Legacy
Dec 16, 2011
Country
US
Give me a shotgun that either fires slugs or patterns like it's got a decent choke on it and I am in medium range head explody heaven.

If that's not an option then a medium power high accuracy semi auto rifle without a scope.

NinjaDeathSlap

Leaf on the wind
Feb 20, 2011
There really is no feeling quite so satisfying as a meaty pump-action shotgun, that when fired makes a sound like Thor sneezing.

Techno Squidgy

Nov 23, 2010
Pistols mostly. There's something oh so satisfying about taking out a guy using a machine gun or sniper rifle with a pistol.

Though in Battlefield 3 my mainstay is the assault rifle (L85A2 to be specific) as it is effective at most of the ranges you'll end up fighting someone. Sneaking about behind enemy lines with a sniper and a suppressed pistol is a nice change of pace that I indulge in every once in a while.

MammothBlade

It's not that I LIKE you b-baka!
Oct 12, 2011
Really love pistols - except 44 magnum or deagles, pistols which defeat the point of being pistols. Just a solid pistol, preferably a revolver, offering me maximum mobility in close quarters. Machine pistols too, if they have a cyberpunk feel to them.

I also like tactical shotguns - accurate and powerful at a reasonable range. All the better if they have a tight spread. Also love sawn-off shotguns. A gun you can rely on, rain or shine, to cause fatalities. A combination of my two favourite weapon types in one.

I'm not an exceptionally good shooter. I know that. I just want weapons which do the job if I aim and pull the trigger.

crimson sickle2

Sep 30, 2009
Melee, it's fast and does about the same damage as a sniper rifle in most games. My love for it only increased when I heard that in CoD, in a mode called "Gun game," a kill with a knife will give zero points, but it will reduce the enemies score.

Fijiman

I am THE PANTS!
Legacy
Dec 1, 2011
While shotguns are fun to use and it's hard to beat the fun of running around with an LMG or rocket launcher, It's even harder to beat any type of assault rifle. They're handy at most ranges and come in many forms, from the single shot to the full auto.

Although, nothing beats the armored mech suit it terms of fun.

Oct 2, 2012
KingsGambit said:
Smiley Face said:
I like to use short range weapons. You put Spray and Pray down for the SMG, but all it comes down to is that, provided you're at close enough range before the fight starts, you'll beat out most any other weapon - and unlike the shotgun, if you miss, or if there are multiple targets, you can still take them down.
I only put that by way of an one-liner, but in fairness SMGs are generally high RoF, high recoil. low accuracy and +/- pistol-ish level damage, so their effectiveness is down to getting the most shots onto a target in as short a time as possible. I've always found it a hard playstyle to get to grips with as I can't manage burst fire, reloading or ammo management properly to be effective. The best use I've found for them is when you have enemies bottlenecked in a corridor or doorway; it's cool to just pull the trigger and seconds later, move past a pile of dead enemies...no other weapon can do that quite so well.

I also don't know how you all manage with the semi-auto ARs. They're such weird weapons I can't work out how best to use them. If I only get one shot, I'd prefer it to come from a sniper rifle barrel at range, or up close with a shotgun where it can still do good damage, even with a glancing hit to the leg. I kinda manage alright with the M308 in Payday but that's because I use it as a sniper.

Beffudled Sheep said:
Edit: There were two more games I forgot!
The first is Hitman (any of them will do). The gunplay is usually clunky (still fun for massacres :D) so I stick to my sexy, sexy Silverballers (pistols) and my fiberwire and a knife.

The other is Mass effect 3. I usually prefer the Paladin or Phalanx pistol, the Black Widow or Widow sniper or the Geth Plasma Shotgun. And when I do go with the assault rifle I usually pick the Revenant or Typhoon.
I tried the Revenant more than once, what with it being the soldier's evolved weapon in ME2, but I can't use it right. The accuracy is just terrible in the middle range where an AR ought to be best. Geth Pulse Rifle was better I think. Same low damage, high RoF but better accuracy.

I'm with you on the silverballers. Loved those (without the full-auto nonsense). Shame Absolution was so atrocious. :-\
I gave the revenant the scope and stability damper mods and it fixed the accuracy and recoil problems for the most part. But yeah when it comes to assault rifles in ME3 I'm starting to go the Geth Pulse Rifle route. Thing shoots in a perfect line and if you give it incendiary ammo it causes lots of explosions, especially with a ammo capacity mod.

I enjoyed Absolution :( I wish there was more actual assassinations in it though. Have you played it through on Purist difficulty?

Shrack

Feb 25, 2013
I have always liked accurate assualt rifles. Putting a lot of firepower on a target quickly (instahit) is a good way to take it down. With some games you can even stun the enemy so they don't shoot back. Next to that sniper weapons. Kill them before they even see you.

veggypoo

Feb 22, 2013
I use the M417 semi-auto sniper without a scope as a shottie in bf3. Tends to mowe down squads pretty easy. Other than that usually any assault riffle in an FPS. I usually just run into the action without a plan and just get as many baddies down as possible before i die and let my teammates clean up the mess i made.

Wintermoot

Aug 20, 2009
I kick arse for ta lord

pistols are the way to go. They are fast and accurate.
I also like shotguns and the best example why I like them is with Bulletstorm. Nothing beats shooting a baddy so hard that he flies back and gets impaled on a giant cactus.

Poetic Nova

Pulvis Et Umbra Sumus
Jan 24, 2012
Love to use them all, depending on the character, except launchers and any other explosive weapons.

MiskWisk

Mar 17, 2012
If a big explosion doesn't accompany it, I'm rarely satisfied with my weapon. Although this philosophy has come back to bite me many a time.

Vankraken

Mar 30, 2010
Depends on the setting of the game.
In Medieval/Fantasy: Crossbows and Flails (tie)
Modern Era: Light Machine Guns and Semi-Auto Battle Rifles (another tie)
Future Era: Gauss Technology

When it comes to guns in a game, the most important aspect is the feel and sound of the weapon. I want a weapon that has some force behind it and a visceral impact of pulling the trigger (recoil, weapon impact, powerful audio feedback). Basically not modern warfare weapons which sound and feel like your shooting BBs. Killzone really did weapon feel correctly with the guns feeling like they had mass, sounded like they had power behind them, and the camera movement as you pull out your weapon, reloaded, threw grenades.