Poll: YuGiOh or Magic:The Gathering, which is better?

Grey_Focks

Jan 12, 2010
OutrageousEmu said:
Fine, at this point comparrisons between the two would require examining so many distinct elelements that it would be near impossible to say one is more complex than the other.

But you still do have to back up what the hell zeroth turn kill even means, because at this point all I'm picturing is you punching a guy and then claiming you win.
Well ,that is always an option, but not the one I had in mind :p. Keep in mind, there are multiple formats in magic that limit which sets you are allowed to use cards from when building your deck. Standard is basically the past 2 years of sets, Extended is 4, Legacy is every set with a banned/restricted list, and Vintage is everything with a restricted list. There are others, but those are the most basic ones.

This deck in question is only legal in Vintage, maybe legacy, I'd need to check banned lists. To make it simple, I'll just post a video :D

<youtube=iMUTQO-mnIg>

And, fittingly enough for magic, there are even counters to THIS strategy, such as a mana-less counter spell like Force of will, or cards that you can start with on the field such as leyline of sanctity.

Mr Thin

Apr 4, 2010
I find it difficult to take YuGiOh seriously.

I mean, I enjoyed the show, and I don't think there's anything wrong with it, it just seems... immature, compared to MTG.

The artwork, for one thing, on MTG cards is amazing. Each image on each card is a work of art worthy of hanging on a wall in the living room.

I never bothered learning how to play YuGiOh (I had MTG), but it didn't seem to be as satisfying an experience.

DaJoW

Aug 17, 2010
Meeelvin said:
To be honest i have never played mtg but from waht i hear in this thread having decks that can win in 0 turn or insanely fast is simply stupid.
Those are top-of-the-line decks, built purely to win tournaments. The Turn 0 win deck cannot be played in a tournament (except Vintage, where it wouldn't win anyway). Since YGO is apparently faster, well...

Yugioh metagame changes with every new pack. Overpowered cards are getting banned because they would cause horrible balance problems. Yugioh has quite a few dominant strategies(10-20 decks) and far more interesting yet not so powerful strategies. Generally tournaments are played with those 10-20 decks that are very consistent and can defend against most decks. Some or control some or burning life points, some focus on otk(one turn win not first turn), many on swarming through special summoning or focusing on a single powerful monster)
The same with Magic. Virtually all tournaments are played in Standard, where only the last 7 expansions are allowed, thus there is no one deck which reigns supreme year after year. Focusing on one powerful creature hardly ever happens due to the usually large amount of creature-removal though. One of the top decks atm is based on putting lands into play, bet there are no YGO decks like that :p

On the other hand, quite few Magic cards get banned nowadays because there are hardly any game-breaking cards released.

Games take quite a few turns to end. Even in Otk(one turn win) decks it takes a lot of luck to get the monster very early 3/4 turn
Same in Magic, though there you usually need to build up a combo, and you usually cannot attack until the opponent has had a chance to stop you.

Grey_Focks

Jan 12, 2010
OutrageousEmu said:
.....where the hell did you people learn to count? That is not turn zero, that is turn one. If you are acting, that is your turn. Like I said, 13 combos that do that. You can't just point out a technicality in the Magic rulebook that the first turn doesn't count as a turn and say that means its a zero turn kill.
...you know, you are making it very hard for me to keep this civil. It is not turn one, it IS turn zero, because neither player has actually even started their turn yet. Literally both players have only drawn and kept their hands, that is it. It's not a technicality that the first turn isn't a turn, that literally makes no sense, a recurring theme in your posts. Again, that combo takes place literally after each players have decided who plays first and that they are keeping their hands. The opposing player literally dies before anyone's turn has even started, since you are doing ALL of that before their turn starts.

Asuka Soryu

Jun 11, 2010
Sales wise? Yu-Gi-Oh! wins hands down.

But if we're going by wich is better to play, then no one can truely awnser that. That's something you need to decide.

Pick all the pros and cons of each game then see wich one stands above the other at the end of it.

I love YGO, but it can be annoying at times.

I've played MtG but it didn't really appeal to me and I only know one person who plays it.

If you want to play YGO and want to play the game without spending money, go to www.duelingnetwork.com

There you just register, then build a deck and play against other people in your web broswer.

One downside, is it's mostly manual. Shuffling and drawing are automatic.

linkvegeta

Dec 18, 2010
James Nixon said:
Feel like getting into a card game and can't decide between these two. Played quite a bit of YuGiOh on the PSP and played Duels of the Planeswalker on the PC and enjoyed both. Can't afford to buy cards for both so I'm wondering which is more fun in the longterm.
Honestly, yu-gi-oh used to be better but now they added ridiculous cards that threw off the balance of the game, so I would have to say magic.

BlindMessiah94

The 94th Blind Messiah
Nov 12, 2009
There are a lot of yugioh fanboys on this thread that seem to think magic is slower paced or not as strategic for some strange reason.

Yu Gi Oh is a simpler game that has rules that limit deck building. In magic the rules are very open ended and complicated, but allow for far more freedom in deck building.

I've played both, and yu gi oh wears off it's novelty fairly quickly. Magic continually drags me back in however. I like knowing I have so many different decks with different ways to win (winning via lifegain, or decking your opponent, or poison counters). It keeps the game fresh and interesting knowing I have so many options of flavour when making decks. In yu gi oh I always felt every deck was a variation of just playing a bunch of creatures. It got boring for me after a while, but to each their own.

Magic just offers more in my opinion. It's far from perfect though, but it's the best out there at the moment imo.

Asuka Soryu

Jun 11, 2010
cursedseishi said:
Yu-Gi-Oh is better if you want something simple to learn and hop into.
Magic The Gathering is better if you want something a little more smarter, and have the patience for you.

Both games work in terms of assaulting the player indirectly or directly via "lifepoints", but that's about it when it comes to compatibility.
Buahahaha! Yu-Gi-Oh!'s only simple if you play against casual people.

Are rulings will drive you bat s**t insane.

xD So many people have trouble understanding priority, or getting used to missing the timing or what cards can and cannot be used durring the phases of the damage step.

My friend prefferes MtG because the rulings of YGO have screwed him over and bugged the hell out of him.

Sacha Koohgoli

Jun 13, 2011
I play Yugioh myself, but you have to watch out with that game. The cards get crazy expensive fast if you want to play competitively, and since all cards are legal (I mean there is no time limit to when they are banned, although some cards are banned for being too powerful), you'll have to stay on top of the game and remember the combos.
On the plus side, it's fun to create a themed deck in Yugioh, since there are so many cards out there that you can use. It's a fun game, but people look at you odd if you say you play, due to the god-awful anime that is associated with the series.

PS: I play a Horus Lockdown deck and an XYZ deck. Niether of them are good in competitive tournaments, but they're a helluva fun to play against friends

Isaiah-Raven Craig

Mar 26, 2011
Magic imo, because there is more strategy involved with the management of mana. Also, Magic has a more straightforward theme, wheras Yu-Gi-Oh seems to be all over the place in this aspect.