Poll: Zero Punctuation - Review or Comedy?

stone0042

Apr 10, 2009
MaxTheReaper said:
It's definitely not a review.

He intentionally plays up the horrible aspects of the game for comedy.

Reviews generally look at both positive and negative aspects.
I'd have to disagree, I still see it as a review. Yes, he only plays on the negative points, but he also generally gives an opinion and helps people decide wether or not to buy the game. That's my definition of a review.

Valine

Sep 26, 2009
It's comedy dressed up as a review - always failing the review and sometimes failing the comedy.

ahiddenfigure

Hunter of Monsters
Sep 14, 2009
As far as his "style" goes, I think Yahtzee said it best himself in his Arkham Asylum [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/zero-punctuation/926-Batman-Arkham-Asylum] review.

Yahtzee said:
Consider me a praiser by exception, and that everything I don't mention is perfectly fine.
I just think ZP's appeal is that it's not afraid to point out a game's weak points. Have you ever played a ZP-reviewed game and actually said "OMG YES!" out loud when Yahtzee mentions a horrible gameplay mechanic or dumb plot device that you got annoyed at too? I know have.

EDIT: Okay, not literally saying "OMG (ohmger)", but you get the idea.

Nouw

Mar 18, 2009
A critical opinion based video of his. Comedy is mashed into the critical part of it.

lozfoe444

Aug 26, 2009
The way I see it, it's comedy. When he butchered Sonic Unleashed, a game I hold so close to my heart that I may require surgery, I still laughed because it was so damn funny!

Zipline Upshaw

Sep 29, 2009
Most of the time, I'll just watch for the comedic value, but when I need another opinion on a game and there's a ZP review for it I'll usually take his advice as well.

rex922

Sep 30, 2009
a little bit of both
he adds comedy bits to a game review but usually plays up the bad bits of the game

WhiteTigerShiro

Sep 26, 2008
It has to be either black or white? I find it amusingly poetic that people see a sitcom-based review and instantly assume it means they can't also take it seriously.

Nova5

Interceptor
Sep 5, 2009
Yahtzee tends to bring up the serious issues with games that would normally piss me off/prevent me from purchasing a title most other reviewers don't bother bringing up.

That, and the visual metaphors are just fucking hilarious.

zutolor

Apr 16, 2009
He rates every thing Bad (Shut up I know that he likes Portal, Thief, etc) so you can't relay on him for reviews (but if he likes a game, go to the store and bye them) so comedy will probably be better for ZP

WhiteTigerShiro

Sep 26, 2008
zutolor said:
He rates every thing Bad (Shut up I know that he likes Portal, Thief, etc) so you can't relay on him for reviews (but if he likes a game, go to the store and bye them) so comedy will probably be better for ZP
Completely wrong. He rants about the annoying bits of the games because he learned early-on in the series (with Psychonauts to be specific) that people aren't as amused when he spends the whole time talking about why he likes a game. He's given a thumbs-up to quite a number of the games he's reviewed despite having spent 5 minutes ranting about the downsides.

Jandau

Smug Platypus
Dec 19, 2008
Both. It's comedic, there's no doubt about that. However, the points he raises are usually valid (if a bit nitpicky) and it's up to the viewer to determine if those points would bother him as much. For instance, I liked Overlord 2, but Yahtzee gave it a thorough trashing. The points he brought up were valid, but I didn't mind those things.

Also, as some others have pointed out, people have started mistaking "sucking up" for "objective view" when it comes to game reviewing...