Poorly Reviewed Games You Enjoyed

Bigbomb94

Sep 3, 2011
I'm guessing the 360 version of Defiance since as of right now is getting a 56 on metacritic. No bugs can stop me from enjoying the game (even though most of them were patched).

likalaruku

Nov 29, 2008
Serious Sam 2, which I will argue is still the best game in that franchise. It's nothing like other FPSs; it's cartoonish & silly & bright & colorful.

I have a weird thing where I actually find something that is over-the-top offensive strangely alluring (I blame Japan), so despite the fact that I should be highly offended by it seeing as I'm a chick & all, I got a good laugh out of Duke Nukem Forever.

I also have an even stranger fondness for abysmal wrecks, be it no-budget indie horror films with shit actors & a terrible script, or laughing for half an hour at the biggest failures in video game history. Well, I actually get a much bigger sadistic kick out of watching miserable or angry people play them, like I was Satan sucking up the essence of misery as if it was chocolate. I also looooove sarcastic reviews where the actor pretends like the game is awesome.

Angry Joe reviews Thor: The Movie: The Game.
NoNameGuy reviews Big Rigs: Over the Road Racing.
Kikoskia reviews Crazy Bus.
Peanutbuttergamer reviews Hey You, Pikachu.
JonTron reviews Aquaman: Battle for Atlantis.

Lastly, the other kind of wrecks; the ones with hilarious non-game-crashing glitches & impossible physics. I can tell you right now that I suspect that people who share my love of this are the ones demanding new FIFA, wrestling, Skate, & probably Madden every year; the most hilarious things happen.

Sonntam

Nov 2, 2012
Alpha Protocol (as many already mentioned) and Of Orcs and Men.

I can't blame anyone for giving low ratings to Orcs and Men, though. The game felt very lacking in meat, skipping side-quests would be similar to skipping main storyline since there is simply so little to the main storyline.

However I'm a sucker for orcs. And gameplay was surprisingly fun.

It feels weird, however, being like the only fan of the game. And even though the game obviously needs a sequel since the story wasn't entirely wrapped up in this game, I sort of doubt there will be an Of Orcs and Men 2. Which is a shame. (Would be even more of a shame if I wasn't the only person hoping for a sequel... so in the end probably it's for the best.)

NightmareExpress

Dec 31, 2012
Deadly Premonition / Alpha Protocol / Binary Domain

Those are some of the more recent ones in my mind.
They lack a layer of polish, but make up for it with some substance.
Also, a lot of foreign-made games that aren't already super popular from 20 years back.
They seem to get some undeserved flack.

uchytjes

Mar 19, 2011
momijirabbit said:
The Urbz: Sims in the City
Only Sims game I find playable and enjoyable.
You, sir, just made me remember that game. That game was ridiculously fun for no specific reason.

OT: Oh damn... the feelings of sadness over that game have come back... I refer to none other than one of my favorite games of all time: Steambot Chronicles. Nothing can accurately measure how much I enjoyed that game. It was sooooo damn good and it was gonna get a sequel too! They even released a trailer for it! I had a look on Metacritic and it got a 74! A 74! THE GAME HAD A GIANT BATTLE IN A DESERT BETWEEN TWO GIANT DESERT BATTLESHIPS THAT LAUNCHED ROBOTS AT EACH OTHER. YOU WERE ONE OF THOSE ROBOTS. LOOK AT IT (6:45):EVERY SINGLE TIME I REMEMBER THIS GAME I END UP CURSING THE GAMES INDUSTRY FOR NOT MAKING ANOTHER.

Its just INFURIATING that a game like that wasn't more popular. YOU COULD PLAY AN ACCORDION AND HELP INVENT THE ELECTRIC GUITAR AND HELP MAKE THE WORLD'S FIRST FLYING ROBOT. A F!@#ING FLYING ROBOT.

Theo Rob

Jun 30, 2010
pretty much the dynasty warriors series and any of its relatives: ive always loved hack n slashers
anarchy reigns
new vegas
ill add more if i remember

Dirge Eterna

Apr 13, 2013
It only got 2 out of 5 stars but I love and still play Star Wars Rebellion. I am a sucker for huge fleet battles in the SW universe. I also liked SW Galactic battlegrounds and Empire at war.

Arina Love

GOT MOE?
Apr 8, 2010
This gen J-RPGs especially "moe" J-RPGs NISa is localizing, i even enjoyed original Hyperdimension Neptunia!

and Alpha Protocol, i think it's much better rout for RPG to go than Mass Effect gone stating with 2.

VeryOddGamer

Feb 26, 2012
Wow, ninja'd in the second post.
So, I'll go with the aforementioned Alpha Protocol and New Vegas, really damn good.

ScrabbitRabbit

Elite Member
Mar 27, 2012
I quite like Ace of Spades. It has some major issues, I just have fun with it, is all. The community is pretty friendly, too.

I also absolutely loved Sonic Unleashed. Even the Werehog was pretty fun. Like a light and fluffy God of War.

Was New Vegas really poorly reviewed? Then that, too.

Fractral

Tentacle God
Feb 28, 2012
Was Warriors Orochi 3 badly received? I think it got mediocre reviews, so I'm gonna say that. Such an awesome game. The sheer amount of stuff is phenomonal. That said, I haven't played a dynasty warriors title since DW3, so it probably wasn't as different as it seemed to me.

Chocolate Mousse

May 23, 2011
*looks around nervously*

I enjoyed playing Duke Nukem Forever. i don't know if that was maybe because of how long I waited for it and fuck all if it was reviewed poorly and played bad, but I really did have fun.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
Atlantis 2: Beyond Atlantis.

It's insane, it's hard, and it's inexplicable. And most of all, it relies on a game-wide pixel hunt. Yes, you have to pixel-hunt EVERY SCREEN IN THE GAME with an item that LAGS THE SCREEN. And what happens when you do is unexplainable.

The critics don't like it... at all.

But...

"I COULD help you... if you found my salmon..."

...it's too wonderfully surreal and pretty to pass up.

TP Potatosalad

Sep 22, 2010
Advent Rising: got pretty poor reviews but I loved the story and soundtrack so I enjoyed it despite a lot of legitimate complaints.

Alcamonic

Jan 6, 2010
Binary Domain: I thought the setting and story was great. Teammate AI was shady at times/not that helpful, but so was the first Mass Effect's. Overall, I rate it a lot higher than the average "5/10 shit Mass effect clone derp".

XMark

Jan 25, 2010
I think the Syndicate FPS was unfairly criticized simply because people who had played the original game and XCom were complaining against what seemed to be a growing trend of FPS-ification of old game series.

Then X-Com: Enemy Unknown became a surprise hit, and the XCom FPS seems to have been delayed or possibly canceled, and it seems that this supposed FPS-ification has been averted.

But I digress, I was talking about Syndicate. I love games in which the gameplay elements, art design, and story all match with each other, and Syndicate pulls this off perfectly. You're an agent working for a giant corporation in a world where corporations have absolute power over everything and a hostile takeover is a literal military invasion. The contrast between a bright and futuristic world and the extreme violence and disregard for the value of human life is portrayed quite effectively. I loved the design choice where every HUD element is meant to be an actual thing that your character sees as part of a retina-projected augmented reality system. The game is a lot like Half-Life 2 in its presentation, in that there's a fairly deep backstory that's presented mostly through the level design and gameplay instead of being told to you directly.

On top of that, the gameplay is varied enough to keep it interesting. I especially liked the one part where you're dumped into a low-tech area where you have to fight non-chipped rebels and do without the ability to make them kill themselves.

Lerola

Feb 23, 2013
Bioshock 2.
Yeah yeah, I know it is not as big as the father Bioshock, and Yahtzee and almost everyone else hates it, but I still enjoyed it and was actually happy with the ending. Also, it brought the combination between guns and plasmids and, in my opinion, closed rapture better than it would have been closed just with the Bioshock 1 ending.