Portal 2 Controversy?

JET1971

Apr 7, 2011
gbemery said:
I am also curious as to what the reaction of this forum would be if it had been a jab at gays, lesbians or transgenders? Would most of the results still be "Oh he is just over reacting." Or would it be more "I can't believe it how insensitive."?
Same response for me. overeacting and trying to gain some kinda brownie points for whatever at his adopted daughters expense.

Podunk

Dec 18, 2008
Not sure if anyone else pointed this out, but later in the game Glados says that there's absolutely nothing wrong with being adopted.

Ghengis John

Dec 16, 2007
Bags159 said:
Finally, being black, jewish, or adopted isn't a condition.

Maybe you should look into your own herp derp bullshit before you accuse others of it.
Doesn't work out that way, sorry. Glados says "Oh that's right. You're adopted." She is by no stretch making an ironic statement ala "smarty pants". When she says "adopted" she means "you are a foundling". She goes on to say "your birth parents are here." As though meeting them is the dream of every adopted person. Tell me how she has been particularly witty about it.

Yeah, no he isn't "protecting his daughter". If he forbids her from playing the game he's "protecting his daughter". Taking a quote out of context and running to the media so they can butcher the story is not "protecting his daughter". If she was being bullied at all for being adopted I can't imagine this story being on the local news will help her case at all.

My parents did one hell of a job parenting me but I don't remember them needing to ever run off to the local news outlet to get the job done.

I'm glad he's taking an active role in parenting by policing what his kids do. However, going to the media about such a small thing taken out of context is not reasonable.
Hey, I'm glad we can agree he doesn't need to go to the media about it.

thirion1850

Aug 13, 2008
... Really? LOL. Christ, mate, calm your self. Valve isn't targeting you or anyone adopted. Unless.. wait.. It's a... CONSPIRACY?! OH MAH GAAAAAAAAAAAAAWD

Bags159

Mar 11, 2011
Ghengis John said:
Bags159 said:

Maybe you should look into your own herp derp bullshit before you accuse others of it.
Doesn't work out that way, sorry. Glados says "Oh that's right. You're adopted." She is by no stretch making an ironic statement ala "smarty pants". When she says "adopted" she means "you are a foundling". She goes on to say "your birth parents are here." As though meeting them is the dream of every adopted person. Tell me how she has been particularly witty about it.
Okay? You're proving my point; she's trying to demean you. She's trying to get under Chell's skin. I don't recall ever saying that Glados and Wheatley are witty about it.

Glados: I have a surprise. No parents!
Glados: The birth parents you have tried to contact no longer love you.

Wheatley: You're a fatty fat adopted faty.
Glados: You are adopted and that's terrible, but work with me.
Glados: She's not even fat! Look at her! And what's wrong with being adopted?
Wheatley: It's bad because you've um, got no parents. Actually some of my best friends are adopted, come to think of it.

Paraphrased, but that's all I remember about adoption. You either have Wheatley and Glados attempting to insult you or Glados sticking up for you pointing out there's nothing wrong with being adopted.

PoweD

Mar 26, 2009
Sniper Team 4 said:
Quick, someone tell me how to post those Star Trek pictures of "The Face Palm" thing! I've always wanted to do that. Or the Pony one.
Here you go...

Honestly.I don't get whats wrong about this complaint?Glados clearly is saying that as an offencive term, I would get offended for that.

Ghengis John

Dec 16, 2007
Bags159 said:
Ghengis John said:
Bags159 said:

Okay? You're proving my point; she's trying to demean you. She's trying to get under Chell's skin.
And being adopted is therefor demeaning? Way to prove my point.

Bags159

Mar 11, 2011
Ghengis John said:
Bags159 said:
Ghengis John said:
Bags159 said:

Okay? You're proving my point; she's trying to demean you. She's trying to get under Chell's skin.
And being adopted is therefor demeaning? Way to prove my point.
Being adopted is not demeaning. Being black is not demeaning. Being jewish is not demeaning.
All three can be used as an insult. All three can be used as a fact. It depends on context.

Way to ignore half my post though.

PoweD said:
Sniper Team 4 said:
Quick, someone tell me how to post those Star Trek pictures of "The Face Palm" thing! I've always wanted to do that. Or the Pony one.
Here you go...

Honestly.I don't get whats wrong about this complaint?Glados clearly is saying that as an offencive term, I would get offended for that.
Should fat people be up in arms over the fat comments? What about people with brain damage? It's ridiculous.

It is a video game; it's supposed to be entertaining and immersive. Glados is trying to hurt Chell's feelings. She is going to say things that she believes will be offending to Chell, given the context.

Ghengis John

Dec 16, 2007
Bags159 said:
Being adopted is not demeaning. Being black is not demeaning. Being jewish is not demeaning.

All three can be used as an insult. All three can be used as not an insult, but as a fact. It depends on context.

There was only one relevant nugget. Besides, you didn't acknowledge when I said we could both agree he didn't have to go to the media. And I'll give you this bags, if the intent was to show that Glados is something of a child in her vindictive personality then they succeeded.

Bags159

Mar 11, 2011
Ghengis John said:
Bags159 said:

All three can be used as an insult. All three can be used as not an insult, but as a fact. It depends on context.

There was only one relevant nugget. Besides, you didn't acknowledge when I said we could both agree he didn't have to go to the media. And I'll give you this bags, if the intent was to show that Glados is something of a child then they succeeded.
Their intent was to show GLados is a robot; as a robot she does not understand the complexities of insults. Hence, the best things she can come up with are your slow test times, your weight, and adoption. She does not realize that someone as fit as Chell will not be offended by weight jokes; she believes simply because Chell is a woman, she will be offended by them. Same thing with adoption; no sane person is going to be offended when accused of being adopted. Being adopted says nothing about your character. However, Glados is a computer and does not understand this. She believes that calling you a fat, adopted kid is demeaning.

I'm frankly surprised that Portal 2 has an E rating though. I never thought about it, but I assumed it would be at least T.

Ghengis John

Dec 16, 2007
Bags159 said:
Their intent was to show GLados as a robot; as a robot she does not understand the complexities of insults. Hence, the best things she can come up with are your slow test times, your weight, and adoption. She does not realize that someone as fit as Chell will not be offended by weight jokes; she believes simply because Chell is a woman, she will be offended by them. Same thing with adoption; no sane person is going to be overly offended of being accused of being adopted. Being adopted says nothing about your character. However, Glados is a computer and does not understand this. She believes that calling you a fat, adopted kid is demeaning.
Can you comprehend how that would be offensive to somebody? Are you adopted? I'm not saying you don't make a valid point btw. What I am saying is, it's not like I can't understand why the man's up in arms.

Bags159

Mar 11, 2011
Ghengis John said:
Bags159 said:
Their intent was to show GLados as a robot; as a robot she does not understand the complexities of insults. Hence, the best things she can come up with are your slow test times, your weight, and adoption. She does not realize that someone as fit as Chell will not be offended by weight jokes; she believes simply because Chell is a woman, she will be offended by them. Same thing with adoption; no sane person is going to be overly offended of being accused of being adopted. Being adopted says nothing about your character. However, Glados is a computer and does not understand this. She believes that calling you a fat, adopted kid is demeaning.
Can you comprehend how that would be offensive to somebody? Are you adopted? I'm not saying you don't make a valid point btw. What I am saying is, it's not like I can't understand why the man's up in arms.
Of course it looks bad when you take one line out of context. That's my whole argument. Glados admits there is nothing wrong with being adopted in that same test chamber.

Well, I must be off; midterms tomorrow.

JET1971

Apr 7, 2011
Did anyone notice something in the video? like her being Chinese and the rest of the family all being blonde hair and blue eyed? I should think after 10 years she has realized that she was adopted. And the dad stating that she never brought the subject up, and her actions and the way she looked in the video says to me that her being 10 years old, she knows and is comfortable with being adopted and doesnt have anything to say about it.

hell she was playing the game still with the camera there and wasnt all "im ready to cry". as i said before her dad is the problem and is a pile of shit.

Zacharious-khan

Mar 29, 2011
why didn't they play the quote 2 seconds later, where GLaDOS says there is nothing wrong with chell for being adopted and that if over-sensitive parents want to complain about it they may direct their complaints to the back end of a push-me-pull-you. I'm pretty sure that second part happened

Tanis

The Last Albino
Aug 30, 2010
Heh...not sure if 'dad' is stupid or troll.

But, hey, free publicity for a game that's not about killing cops and hookers?

Win!