Portal 2 Delayed to 2011

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Portal 2 Delayed to 2011

Portal 2 has been pushed back to 2011, which may have something to do with the cancellation of Valve's E3 event - which, by the way, Valve would like to remind you will be Portal themed so stop creating silly rumors.

My oh my, what is this? A Valve game has been delayed from its intended release? The sky must be blood-red, the seas must be boiling, for the apocalypse is surely upon us! What's next? Will Blizzard fail to lock down a release date for Diablo III? Will Nintendo announce a new title featuring Mario? Will Hideo Kojima's next game be a confusing, philosophical mess?! This is a strange and bizarre new world we find ourselves in!

Erm, I got a bit distracted there. Sorry about that.

The following just showed up as a missive from Valve, confirming that Portal 2 would not be released this year as had been intended. Like you're surprised.

[blockquote]VALVE ANNOUNCES MAKING GAMES IS HARD

June 9, 2010 -- Aperture Science, doing business as Aperture Laboratories LLC, in partnership with Valve today announced the successful completion of an ethics-review-panel-supervised release date restructuring process. Portal 2, the sequel to the ground-breaking title that earned over 30 Game of the Year awards despite missing its original ship date, is now targeted for a 2011 release.

Representatives from both companies acknowledged that public safety concerns factored into the decision. They went on to say that even though Portal 2 will arrive slightly later than planned, all life on earth won't instantaneously stop as every molecule in your body explodes at the speed of light, which is what would happen should a rip ever appear in the fabric of Valve Time.

"Also, the game will be even better," they added, missing an historic opportunity to create the first product delay press release to mention that a product is being delayed to make it worse.

To ask questions about how close we all came to dying, or to ask futile questions about the previously announced E3 ***PORTAL-2-THEMED-FOR-GOD'S SAKE*** surprise or, less futilely, to schedule an appointment to attend a Portal 2 screening at the Valve booth during E3, please contact Valve's delegate to the EU's Valve Time Studies Group, Doug Lombardi.[/blockquote]

Those guys really do have the best press releases, don't they?

Other than confirming that Portal 2 would be delayed like Portal 1, the announcement stressed that the Valve E3 Surprise was Portal-related. That's right, folks: No Duke Nukem Forever [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/101197-Rumor-Valves-E3-Surprise-is-Source-2-Maybe-Half-Life-3]. Just Portal.

Wow, it's almost like they'd like people to stop creating unfounded rumors or something.

LavaLampBamboo

King of Okay
Jun 27, 2008
ARGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH.

You know what, Valve, I'm getting bored of this! Please, Gabe Newell, I will give you my first born son if you just put out a new Half Life game. I MEAN THIS.

*sobs into Half Life 2 t-shirt*

w@rew0lf

Banned User
Jan 11, 2009
No surprises there. They may make good games, but they sure take their time about it.

npath

Apr 2, 2010
Sometimes I get the suspicion that some studios actually do delay games to make them worse.

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
So after the developmental aberration of Left 4 Dead 2, we're back on Valve Time.

Good times man, good times.
What's the betting I'll hit 30 before Glados comes back again...

Apr 28, 2008
Who in the hell spread the rumor about Duke Nukem Forever?
Honestly, the game is dead. Lets all move on.

Anyway, I expect Valve to be demonstrating a real-live portal gun.

Frequen-Z

Resident Batman fanatic.
Apr 22, 2009
If the announcement is not Source 2 and not HL2:EP3 then I am not interested. For a company that takes so much pride in their community, they sure don't seem to be fucking listening to what they want.

manythings

Nov 7, 2009
w@rew0lf said:
No surprises there. They may make good games, but they sure take their time about it.
Yes they do which is why half-life is great and movie tie-in games are not.

slimeonline

is wondering how long this can b
Mar 22, 2010
Surprise, surprise

Should write the article now for portal 2 delayed until late 2011!!!

Corven

Forever Gonzo
Sep 10, 2008
My pre-order!!
That's what I get for thinking they've changed after keeping their l4d2 release date.

SnipErlite

Aug 16, 2009
Heh. Valve is awesome.

I don't mind waiting to be honest. It's gonna be really cool.

Tharwen

Ep. VI: Return of the turret
May 7, 2009
Aww... I checked yesterday and it said 2010.

Still, I thought it was too early at the time. I'm also disappointed about there being no Half Life or Source at E3.

Assassin Xaero

Jul 23, 2008
I honestly would rather see a game delayed then see it released full of bugs and glitches... Oh, and I'm still betting their "surprise" to replace this at E3 is still going to be L4D3... >_>

oliveira8

Feb 2, 2009
Assassin Xaero said:
I honestly would rather see a game delayed then see it released full of bugs and glitches... Oh, and I'm still betting their "surprise" to replace this at E3 is still going to be L4D3... >_>
They just said the surprise is Portal related...In big bold letters too.