Portal 2 is "Absolutely the Best" Game Valve Has Ever Made

OmniscientOstrich

Jan 6, 2011
Quesa said:
Wow, the Valve guy is even higher on the Valve game than the THQ guy was on the THQ game; it must be spectacular!
To be fair, Valve's track record makes them easily more worthy to be proud than THQ. Have high expectations for this one and from what I've seen so far I don't think I'll be dissapointed :).

DiMono

Mar 18, 2010
Andy Chalk said:
"We never could have guessed that it would have taken off the way it has," he added. "We didn't invent the game with this in mind. We just wanted to create a good game, with good environments and a cool world, and go from there."
And that is why it worked.

Soviet Steve

May 23, 2009
Time for some personal opinion:
I bought Portal and didn't really enjoy it to the point where I never bothered finishing it, and I have absolutely no motivation to buy Portal 2.

I'm glad to see Valve is confident though, hopefully if this is successful people will stop saying that the cake is a lie all the bloody time.

Wolfram23

Mar 23, 2004
Over hype game

Disappoint fans.

Just saying. I'm sure it'll be a fine game... but best Valve game ever?

Legion

Were it so easy
Oct 2, 2008
Woodsey said:
Anyway, my copy is pre-ordered and pre-loaded, and I replayed Portal yesterday to warm myself up. Looking forward to it.
Unfortunately my PC probably can't handle it, so I am stuck with the 360 version. I intend to re-play Portal the morning of it's release (thankfully I am off of work that day) while I am waiting for it to arrive.

Patrick_and_the_ricks said:
The first game was great due to it being a small little bonus in The Orange Box. A full sequel to Portal just doesn't really make sense when Valve gets bombarded with fan and hate mail daily asking for HL3.
That isn't what made it great, it is what made it an unsurprising hit, as it wasn't made to be as huge as it was. It would be borderline insanity for Valve to ignore this reaction to such a small game and not expand it.

As for the fans asking for Half Life Episode 3, it's pretty obvious that they are going to just bring out Half Life 3 instead, there is no way in hell they have taken this long for a three hour expansion pack.

Mikeyfell

Elite Member
Aug 24, 2010
Wait, didn't we hear something eerily similar about Dragon Age 2 less than a month ago?

The Wykydtron

"Emotions are very important!"
Sep 23, 2010
If any dev except Valve (or to a lesser extent Bioware) made this statement i'd be breaking out Edgeworth and telling them to stop bragging until they can prove it (AKA after the game has come out).

But the fact that they're doing this colours me half skeptical half hyped... Don't ask how

subtlefuge

Lord Cromulent
May 21, 2010
Wolfram01 said:
Over hype game

Disappoint fans.

Just saying. I'm sure it'll be a fine game... but best Valve game ever?
I don't see why not. Hype doesn't always ruin the experience (see: The Dark Knight).

Portal was fantastic, we expect Portal 2 to be better. If Portal 2 is astronomically better, then it will surpass everyone's expectations.

fates_puppet13

Dec 20, 2010
that bold claim has made me uneasy that valve might have lost their edge
hopefully though vavle will meet the high expectations people have from the original

sg137iu

Oct 20, 2008
I'm still skeptical about Portal 2. All of the reasons why I enjoyed the first one don't appear to be evident in what I've seen from the second one. I enjoyed figuring things out in Portal (a game that actually makes you learn sometime by playing it) and I feel like Portal 2 wants to hold your hand, guide you around and have you tell it how pretty it looks and how clever it is. I very well may be wrong, in fact I hope I am. I've just been burned by too many hyped games in the last few years.

As for Half-Life Episode 3, maybe I'm being a hopeful optimist here but perhaps there's some really crazy stuff at the end of it and they're going to try releasing Half-Life 3 shortly after (within a year, I mean)? Episode 1 and 2 were sort of self contained (had their own mini story arc). It would be nice if Ep 3 leads into Half-Life 3 with more of a cliffhanger ending. Just saying...

Owlslayer

Nov 26, 2009
Well, i was pretty sure it was gonna be a great game, but now someone from Valve says it's gonna be awesome?
Well, count me hyped.
But still, i hope to god it won't be over-hyped. I really want it to be GOTY-material.

Electrogecko

Apr 15, 2010
Andy Chalk said:
He also claimed that the hugely enthusiastic response to Portal caught Valve off-guard. "We never could have guessed that it would have taken off the way it has," he added. "We didn't invent the game with this in mind. We just wanted to create a good game, with good environments and a cool world, and go from there."
Yea well, when people get their hands on such an amazing 3d puzzler after being starved of the genre since they last played a Zelda game, the response is going to be such. IMO, Portal is so far beyond any other game I've played on 360 that it's almost pathetic, especially considering the game was a -4 hour long part of a bundle that started it's life as a tech demo. Honestly, is there anyone out there who disliked the game or is not frothing at the mouth for the sequel?

Oh, and Gabe Newell said in his video conference with the highschool class a while back something similar...that he was more confident in Portal 2 than he's been for any other game by Valve.

GamingAwesome1

May 22, 2009
Nyeeaahhh...the extreme hype is more likely to make me suspicious than excited.

Not that I'm not looking forward to Portal 2, but "best Valve game ever"? I would recommend the Valve guys take a look a dear old Peter Molyneux and why his games tend to get poorly received despite being fairly decent in their own right.

Can I have English words in the captcha please? "ffself Tammoja"? What the hell?

Ekit

Oct 19, 2009
Valve's continuous attempts to hype up Portal 2 to the equivalent of the second coming of Christ just makes me more sceptical.
I wish they would just shut up about Portal 2 already.

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
I can believe that.

Not a huge Valve fanboy, like most of the site, but I can see P2 being their best work.

Amondren

Oct 15, 2009
CheckD3 said:
I feel like while the game will be good because it's Valve, the game won't match the original because of expectations. When the first Portal came out, no one expected a super game.

Expectations can make a quietly released game the Game of the Year, and make an over hyped game turned into a good game that didn't live up to the high expectations that everyone expected of the game
^agreed. I rather liked Portal 1 but I'm hoping Portal 2 will be as good I'm not sure it will be the best game ever to be created.

C2Ultima

Future sovereign of Oz
Nov 6, 2010
I'll take a leaf out of Yahtzee's book and just assume that Portal 2 will be terrible. That way, it might come as a pleasnt surprise when it turns out to be the opposite.