Portal 2 Preorders Get More Bots For the Buck

Burgertime

Intellivision Collector
Mar 10, 2010
I'll be picking up Portal 2 regardless, but I'm really sick and tired of DLC exclusives. The worst ones being multiplayer exclusives. If the game ends up having multiplayer that's online only, then why the **** did I pre-order it in the first place?! I have zero interest in online multiplayer, and it ticks me of when the only 2 player mode is online (looking at you War for Cybertron).

Would much rather have a companion cube figurine. A collector's edition with a mini portal gun replica (much like how there are mini lightsaber replicas), a talking Aperture Science Sentry Gun figure. Something that's collectible and worth pre-ordering the game for. Not a piece of 1's and 0's that may or may not end up available to people later.

Apr 28, 2008
The_root_of_all_evil said:
Why would you not order it off of Steam though? I mean...you think that Valve are going to not treat you better in buying direct?
Because some of us have crappy internets.

Plus, nothing beats the new-game smell.

Korolev

No Time Like the Present
Jul 4, 2008
Alright. I was going to pre-order it anyway, just to show my support. Companies like pre-orders because it gives them advance feed-back into how well a game has sold, which allows them to plan their finance and R&D in advance. If you are going to buy it anyway, why not pre-order? I accept that in this day and age of digital delivery, pre-ordering for PC games is completely pointless, due to the fact that there is no limit how how many digital copies they can sell, so the consumer is never in any danger of "missing out" on a copy.

Due to this, they have to give some other incentive for pre-orders, because the old advantage of pre-ordering no longer exists.

In reality, I fail to see why people are angry - custom bot skins do not affect how the game is played, and would add very little to the game. Pre-ordering does not cost anything extra, helps Valve (which is a company I am fond of) and gives you a little throw-away bonus.

There are some bad examples of pre-ordering in video games (BFBC1 was an example), but in general, if you care enough about the pre-order bonus to complain about it, then you probably care enough about the series to pre-order it. And if you don't, you don't. So why are you complaining?

Save your anger for stuff that matters - like social problems or matters of injustice.

Gunner_Guardian

Jul 15, 2009
I expect the same preorder deal to be on steam.

Remember that "exclusive" gamestop baseball bat in L4D2? Ya I got that even though I only preordered it on steam :p

Mr.Geoson

Apr 1, 2010
Guys Steam will have the same bonus, this is just like L4D2 with the baseball bat, Gamestop said it was only them but it wasn't, steam had the same thing. So obviously this is what they are doing.

Delusibeta

Reachin' out...
Mar 7, 2010
Jaded Scribe said:
I also love how the Valve fanboys are ignoring the fact that Valve developed these extras for GameStop, while not offering the same to their customers on Steam.

I love Valve, and I think they're a great company, but this isn't all on GameStop.
Yet. I would imagine that Valve will replicate the L4D2 pre-order bonus available from anyone worth their salt, Steam included. It's just that GameStop's been first to post about it. (Something cosmetic... Black robots?)

And, if L4D2 is anything to go by, this is one exclusive that won't be sold later on.

Jaded Scribe

Mar 29, 2010
SirBryghtside said:
Jaded Scribe said:
I also love how the Valve fanboys are ignoring the fact that Valve developed these extras for GameStop, while not offering the same to their customers on Steam.

I love Valve, and I think they're a great company, but this isn't all on GameStop.
Only on GameStop? Is there any English equivalent?
"This isn't all on Gamestop."

"This" applying to the blame and outrage Valve fanboys are heaping upon GameStop.
"isn't" a contraction forming a negative statement.
"all" again, applying to the blame and outrage Valve fanboys are heaping upon GameStop.
"on" where said blame and outrage is being placed.
"GameStop" a noun.

All together, it means that the noun supplied is not the only place where blame/outrage should be placed. I.e. it's not completely their fault.

More examples with similar construction:
"The problems with the current economy aren't all on Obama."
"The New York Jets utter failure last Sunday wasn't all on the Quarterback."

This type is quite common in the region I live, but I guess it might not be as common elsewhere in the US, or in other English-speaking countries.

Jaded Scribe

Mar 29, 2010
Delusibeta said:
Jaded Scribe said:

Yet. I would imagine that Valve will replicate the L4D2 pre-order bonus available from anyone worth their salt, Steam included. It's just that GameStop's been first to post about it. (Something cosmetic... Black robots?)

And, if L4D2 is anything to go by, this is one exclusive that won't be sold later on.
This is possible. Though GameStop also pays a lot of money for exclusives, and it would be good business in many ways for Valve to give them a true exclusive.

BlumiereBleck

Dec 11, 2008
Wow..... thats kind of evil. "You don't get co op unless you preorder SO HAHA to all the guys who cant preorder!"

SomebodyNowhere

Dec 9, 2009
I can't imagine NOT just getting the game off Steam. Why would I buy a retail copy of a game that will basically just be a disc that redirects me to Steam? It just seems so unnecessary.

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
I bet there'll be 100x more, and better, skin mods in the first week of release...

ninjajoeman

Mar 13, 2009
Last Bullet said:
I guess it depends on what kind of "custom" we're talking here... And whether or not it's also available from Steam. What was the pre-order thing for L4D2?
a baseball bat

mayney93

Aug 3, 2009
portal gave me motion sickness, portal 2 will give me more, yeah, i'll preorder to make myself ill

drgnzach

Mar 11, 2010
Well considering that the PC Source Engine is completely open source and pretty much anyone with experience with making textures and models can customize any and all components of the game (I myself have a customized weighted storage cube the origanal). I think that the pre-ordering is more geared toward the XBOX and PlayStation versions.
TL;DR:
LOL at Console users

Delusibeta

Reachin' out...
Mar 7, 2010
Jaded Scribe said:
Delusibeta said:
Jaded Scribe said:

This is possible. Though GameStop also pays a lot of money for exclusives, and it would be good business in many ways for Valve to give them a true exclusive.
Ehh... I doubt it, to be honest. I realise it's multiformat, but I can't see why Valve would cut off their nose to spite their face in the PC market. And with Steam getting the exclusive, it would render any special deal with GameStop moot. As I said before, I'm expecting a similar scenario as Left 4 Dead 2.

Also, for your information, the UK equivalent to GameStop is GAME (who owns GameStation to boot) and Skullkid should read the first post again.

SnipErlite

Aug 16, 2009
Ehhh I'll still get it on Steam. I like Steam.

Also

THIS LOOKS FUCKING AWESOME. I need this game....

Jaded Scribe

Mar 29, 2010
Delusibeta said:
Jaded Scribe said:
Delusibeta said:
Jaded Scribe said:

Ehh... I doubt it, to be honest. I realise it's multiformat, but I can't see why Valve would cut off their nose to spite their face in the PC market. And with Steam getting the exclusive, it would render any special deal with GameStop moot. As I said before, I'm expecting a similar scenario as Left 4 Dead 2.

Also, for your information, the UK equivalent to GameStop is GAME (who owns GameStation to boot) and Skullkid should read the first post again.
I don't think they're cutting off their nose to spite their face. Offering a nice extra for those that buy their games at GameStop is a good thing. It entices those who don't use Steam for their games (for whatever reason that may be. Not using Steam is hardly a crime.)

Whatever exclusives GameStop offers, it in no way prevents Valve from offering different exclusives for their Steam clients. I just don't think that their contract with GameStop will allow wiggle room for offering the same content. That's all.