Portal 2 "Probably" Valve's Single-Player Swan Song

TilMorrow

Diabolical Party Member
Jul 7, 2010
CardinalPiggles said:
NNNNNNNNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
Let me continue that for ya
*breaths in* OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO-*choke* Fly went in my mouth.

OT: I've played Synergy. *Dramatic Close up* Its a dark place in single player co-op missions, very dark...

Mad1Cow

Jan 8, 2011
They may just be integrating a social system into Half-Life and other games...like what steam already does...I'd be alright with them doing multiplayer games like Left 4 Dead HOWEVER it's not the solo way forward. Playing a game by yourself is the best way to get immersed and lost in it's environment. Take Amnesia, if you play it with someone else, the horror is more or less removed...it becomes a, WATCH OUT FOR THAT JUMPY BIT YOU TWIT!!!

Really I think they're just gonna look into doing a sorta facebook social game tie in. NOT purely like farmville but integrating elements of the such. They already have useless dlc, I can see them leaning towards it...

xhable

Oct 17, 2008
But when it comes to gaming I'm a sociopath... I dislike gaming on-line because I don't like the time pressure. I like to take things at my own pace and work out puzzles, interact with ncps and generally be chilled out.

I love portal, but if it becomes something like co-op only then I'll have to convince my girlfriend to play!.. and nobody wants that!

Mister Benoit

Sep 19, 2008
CardinalPiggles said:
NNNNNNNNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

dont do this valve, single player games made you famous! jumping on the single player/ multi player bandwagon doesnt mean twice as much sales, it means less time devoted to each portion.
Hats made them more famous.... and more money =p

Adzma

Sep 20, 2009
So are we talking Call of Half-Life, Half-Life of Duty or some other abomination?

Kenjitsuka

Sep 10, 2009
CardinalPiggles said:
NNNNNNNNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

dont do this valve, single player games made you famous! jumping on the single player/ multi player bandwagon doesnt mean twice as much sales, it means less time devoted to each portion.
Ditto!!!
And hurry up with Episode 3 already :(

fenrizz

Feb 7, 2009
And here I was, getting all psyched up for more Portal awesomeness in the years to come.

Apparantly not.

Thanks for nothing Valve

banksy122

Nov 12, 2009
To the people saying what about Half life episode 3/half life 3. All the writer said was portal 2 might be the last single player of its kind, meaning Valve puzzle games. Nothing to do with the half life games.

puffenstuff

Jan 31, 2008
I think valve mucked up here. Either they made an ambiguous statement without thinking about what type of a headline it would make, "HALF-LIFE 3 TO REQUIRE INTERACTION WITH HOMOPHOBIC 12 YEAR OLDS" or they have suddenly gotten very out of touch with gamers. Are they experimenting with ground up moon-rocks or mercury or something?

Hungry Donner

Henchman
Mar 19, 2009
I'm hoping this means that cooperative play will be a consideration when developing the single player campaign. While single player is still by far my favorite game type I have no problem with coop consideration here.

Now if it means future games will diminish the single player experience in favor of multiplayer . . . well then Valve won't be getting much currency from me.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
SmashLovesTitanQuest said:
Woodsey said:
Sober Thal said:
cough cough

Yeah. I'm loving Valve more and more now. Thanks for caring so much. /sarcasm

EDIT: I want to type really nasty words here... really nasty.
Caring so much about what?

Half-Life 2 had a fucking multiplayer component (so did Half-Life I believe), quit your whining.

OT: This could mean anything from, "all games will include co-op and/or multiplayer", to, "Steam will have increased community functions to help share your singlplayer experiences".

People need to stop pissing their pants over a single sentence, that hasn't even been said to us by Valve in the first place.
Im starting to think you would still defend Valve if it was revealed there games are powered by baby seal blood and Gabe eats the brains. Blatant fanboyism.
Making assumptions on the future of the company's games from an indirect quotation. Blatant fuck-face stupidity.

Multiplayer has always been present at Valve.

bam13302

Dec 8, 2009
my guess, the next hl will be co-op where one player plays Gordon Freeman, and the other plays Alex Vance
that could end badly though
assuming they say anything about the next one
the Borealis was extremely disappointing in portal 2
i wish you could have explored the ship some
also, how did aperture get the Borealis back?

ZeroMachine

Oct 11, 2008
... What? Oh, that's just lovely.

Fuck you, Valve. Fuck you.

R.I.P. Quality Half Life games...

Beltom

Professional Lurker
Sep 8, 2008
bam13302 said:
my guess, the next hl will be co-op where one player plays Gordon Freeman, and the other plays Alex Vance
that could end badly though
assuming they say anything about the next one
the Borealis was extremely disappointing in portal 2
i wish you could have explored the ship some
also, how did aperture get the Borealis back?
Regarding your spoiler, that's because:
It wasn't the Borealis, it was its drydock, the place it disappeared from, that you visited
OT: As others have said, this statement is too vague to draw much from. An official announcement would likely clear up some of the concerns.