Portal 2 Review

awesome_ninja

Mar 2, 2011
It took me 12 hours for SP, and about 10 hours for coop because well.... my so called "partner" wasn't so cooperative and tend to kill me rather often....
Back on topic, 4/5 for Portal 2? WHAAAAAAAAT.... and DA 5/5??
I think something is REALLY wrong here. THe puzzles might be easu sure, but wait until us, the PC gamers get our hands on the SDK! We will make your thumbs suffer!
That brings me to the point that loading screens are only 3 seconds long, so if you call that long, go visit a doc....

Ophiuchus

8 miles high and falling fast
Mar 31, 2008
I just finished this game. Only got it on Thursday so that's not bad going, although I admit I had to look up solutions on YouTube a couple of times. No point punishing myself when I get stuck in a game that I'm mostly playing for the story. So, yeah.

I actually agree with this review and the score. It wasn't a 5/5 game for me. It wasn't bad, not at all, but I didn't think it was as good as the first one... which was, unquestionably, a 5/5 game. I can't put my finger on why, though. Wheatley made me laugh. GLaDOS is as brilliant as ever. I like the fact that it's easier than the first one. There's nothing really wrong with it. I guess the only thing lacking is the novelty - when I played the first one, it was completely new. I hadn't played anything like it before, either in terms of the gameplay or the quality of writing. Now... I guess I'm accustomed to it.

That said, I don't like the fact that it includes multiplayer. I won't mark it down for that because I haven't played it yet and possibly never will. But, seriously, who the hell would play Portal - which I'd probably rank as the best single-player experience in gaming history - and think "y'know, what this game needs is additional people to intrude on the experience!"? I really can't wait for the industry to get over this 'every game must have multiplayer, whether it needs it or not' trend.

That said: it's worth buying just for the ending, which made me shout "what the fuck?!" louder than any game ever before. As for the song: I actually think it's better than Still Alive, although I'm sure I'll be in the minority with that one.

xdiesp

Oct 21, 2007
Many reviewers who didn't ever check the updated P1 ending, weren't so fazed by the sequel's start after all. I probably wouldn't have been either, it was good to see Chell saved at first... I can accept she was stolen back afterwards, better than 30 seconds later.

Gogmagog

May 1, 2011
I am very much looking forwards to the ZP review of Portal 2. I do wonder if Yahtzee is afraid for his eyeballs since he said he will jam forks in his eyes if he praises it the same as Portal 1.

TheMann

Jul 13, 2010
Ya know, I'm going to have to say that this review had some massive failures. As a courtesy, because not everyone can run out and buy a game on release day I will, unlike Russ, use the spoiler button for real spoilers that aren't already in the review.

1. Russ says: "Portal 2 takes place approximately where the first game left off." and then says "You probably know that the game takes place far into the future from Portal..."

My response: "Huh? Is that a contradiction or is it just me?" Also, he says that it's in a "post-apocalyptic world" before going on to mention that it's never explained why the Aperture laboratories are in decay. Firstly, if the world is post-apocalyptic, that would explain it right there. Secondly, of course Aperture would be in decay regardless. In Portal it's made painfully clear that GLaDOS killed off the staff with neurotoxin. A hundred years without maintenance tends to do that. Thirdly, there no real evidence that the world suffered an apocalypse, just that Aperture has decayed a lot, but that's just a nit pick.

2. Holy spoilers, Batman! The new game mechanics are meant to be figured out, which is part of the puzzle. Also, he tells us exactly where each act takes us. That ruins a bit of story don't you think? In addition to this much of the story is revealed
at around 1:09 when you can clearly see yourself carrying GLaDOS in the potato with Wheatley in charge. Thanks for ruining all that, asshat! (Russ, don't take that personally, I just really like the word 'asshat', it's part of my residual immaturity. [small]Heh, heh, "asshat."[/small]) Also, as pointed out by others, the Excursion Funnel isn't introduced until act 3. A lot of the footage mentioned as act 1 stuff is actually in act 3.

3. I don't think the puzzles were easier at all, in fact some of them were fiendishly hard due to all the new game mechanics and varying environments,
especially in act 2.

4. He barely mentions the absolutely brilliant writing and voice acting that, in of itself should've been enough for that extra star. Ellen McLain, Stephen Merchant and J.K. Simmons are fantastic.
The absurdity of GLaDOS, an AI supercomputer, being forced to run on an a science project style potato battery was great, also absurdly funny was pretty much everything Cave Johnson says. In Portal during the final battle with GLaDOS, after she tells you how unlikable you are, she mentions in passing "It also says here that you were adopted, so that's funny too." In Portal 2, GLaDOS milks this for all it's worth, constantly taunting Chell about her lack of birth parents. I found most of the game hysterical.

5. "SCIENCE!" Stop that.

Wow, I practically wrote a review myself. I guess that's what I get for having too much time on my hands.

jovack22

Jan 26, 2011
His voice is obnoxious. It sounds as if he's trying too hard to sound like a morning-radio talk show host.

The running joke, "SCIENCE!", was not funny at all.

Invisibly Imperfect

Aug 7, 2010
I dun give said:
Seriously? Was spoiling the acts 1, 2 and 3 really needed? I mean, I was expecting a boss fight, a first, second and third act, but there was no point in spoiling what these acts entailed. Now I'm going to have this niggling thought in my head telling me whats coming next. It's like saying the whole "Atlas is Fontaine" thing everyone spoiled. At least he didn't spoil the co-op.

And too bad you didn't enjoy the game, I can't wait to play it.
...Thanks for spoiling that...