Portal 2 Review

Buleet

Feb 21, 2010
I really dont agree with the review.
The puzzels were a LOT more challenging for me then the first portal and the number thing that annoyed me is that valve DOES explain why you are in a new room.The comic.You even find ratmans "mural" very early on.so it isn't "retconned".

Still its your opinion.

Wuggy

Jan 14, 2010
Halo Fanboy said:
The levels just plain aren't as challenging, but the new toys and characters manage to distract enough from the cracks in the paint to keep the whole ride breezing along. It astounds in some ways and disappoints in others, which, while not perfect, is good enough for science.
Considering how easy the first Portal was, this is pretty sad news.
And it's also not true. They are somewhat equal on the difficulty scale, but they're more complex. The learning curve to simple to complex is longer though since game is longer. So you might get a feeling that there's way more easy puzzles, which in it's own part is true but there's also way more of the harder puzzles.

drakythe

Feb 10, 2011
Personally I'm waiting for the speed-runner backlash, since this one will not be as easy to speed run through. Took me about 8 hours the first time (on the PS3) and I could see cutting that down, but because some of the puzzles require some slow timing mechanics, I don't see P2 as having a speed run culture that bloomed around the original. Maybe thats just me though.

And while I did enjoy the game, it felt thin after 8 hours. I was ready for it to be over, I really just wanted the story resolution.

Falseprophet

Jan 13, 2009
SilverUchiha said:
When Portal was released, it wasn't made specifically by the Valve guys, but just some college students (or something like that, if I recall). Valve merely dressed it up and shipped it out. I think that's why I've often heard it regarded as an "pseudo-Indie" sequel.
It's more like, Valve liked the indie game Narbacular Drop and basically hired those guys to make it better, bringing in great writers as well. It's like how Robert Rodriguez made El Mariachi on his own for peanuts, then Columbia gave him a few million to make Desperado, which is technically a sequel, but more like how Rodriguez would have made Mariachi in the first place if he had the money.

And frankly, just like Extra Credits said the game industry needs more of this: the big studios should find more talented indie guys, throw some money at them (but not enough to make the shareholders nervous) and let them work on riskier ideas than the usual safe AAA formulas. Original Portal is proof of concept.

Alex Berry said:
RedEyesBlackGamer said:
dtthelegend said:
whats with the "SCIENCE!" thing?
Dr. Insano, most likely. He helped turn SCIENCE! into a meme.
Let's not forget about Thomas Dolby.
Russ deafened me, with SCIENCE!

D_987

Jun 15, 2008
I can't say I agree with the difficulty comment that a few people seem worried by, the puzzles in this game are much more complex and difficult than in the first game.

wolfchylde

Nov 19, 2010
Okay I'm still somewhere in Act1 and I have to say that the puzzles are NOT easier by any stretch, SOME puzzles will be a breeze for players of the original, but some require you to actually THINK before you start flying through the rooms.

I like games that make me think.

Aprilgold

Apr 1, 2011
Guys, the puzzles are sightlier easier, but there are a few toughies that almost match up to the original games difficulty later throughout the chapter.
Also, the final boss is WAY more fun then it was the first time around, total, get this game if you loved portal or want to be introduced to something new.

Sartan0

Apr 5, 2010
I am picking this up on steam. I kinda knew I would be anyway. At least I am sure to be done with it before the Witcher 2 comes out and it should be a good time. Sadly my wife hates steam for losing her Plants vs. Zombie save games so many times so I will have to find someone else to play co-op with.

For those complaining about how long it is: If the whole time you are playing it you are 300% more entertained then a game that can be played out in three times the length I think you are even on that one. If not a bit ahead due to awesome moments. But hey, how much fun you get per hour is very subjective. I hope to be entertained more over the shorter time of the game. If Valve got that right I will sing their praises.

Awexsome

Were it so easy
Mar 25, 2009
Maybe I'll pick it up but without a very good PC all of my experience with Valve games have been shit. I swear they're a great PC developer but they haven't made one good console title.

Judging from the people saying multiple times faster load times on the PC it looks like this is no different. Valve just can't make good console games. They can make OK ones. L4D was ok. But I haven't played one good Valve game on my 360.

MmmFiber

Apr 19, 2009
D_987 said:
I can't say I agree with the difficulty comment that a few people seem worried by, the puzzles in this game are much more complex and difficult than in the first game.
They are more complex. But at times I would think the puzzles might be more challenging if I hadn't played the first game. So, on that part, I kind of agree with Russ.

I probably like the story more than he seems to. It didn't delve deep enough into the back story for me, but I enjoyed the dialogue for the most part. At the end is the only part I didn't like because the characters got a little annoying.

4 stars seems reasonable. I might have given a 4.5, but 4 still means it's a good, solid game. The bar was just probably set a little high for being a sequel to a beloved game. And Russ comes off a bit too disappointed in tone for such a good game, not that I blame him. Valve had no chance to live up to the charm of the original. It's still really funny, however the "magic" isn't at the same level.

The ending song was, again, epic.

PS: I'm in Space!

Jumpingbean3

May 3, 2009
Iron Lightning said:
So they made the puzzles easier, eh, that statement alone has pretty well curbed my enthusiasm for this new installment.
"Easier" is a matter of perspective. You may personally find it harder than the original. Plus being difficult wasn't what made Portal great it was simply how clever and humorous it was.

Jumpingbean3

May 3, 2009
Quellist said:
Looking forward to the gibs flying when Yahtzee reviews this...
What is it with people recently assuming Yahtzee's going to hate everything (that is what you were implying right?)