Post some useless trivia.

Itsthatguy

Jan 22, 2011
andriod said:
Legless Zombie said:
50 to 85% of the oxygen in the atmosphere is produced by plants in the ocean called phytoplankton.
sorry, phytoplankton are animals with cytoplasm in their cell
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phytoplankton
No, phytoplankton means what he thinks it means.
And by the way ALL cells have cytoplasm.

OT: Birds have a respiratory system consisting of two lungs separated by the lungs. Air is brought into the lungs from one sack, and exits via the other, allowing fresh air to be continuously passed through the lungs.

Harlemura

Ace Defective
May 1, 2009
"Crazy Earl" in Borderlands is voiced by the president of Gearbox.
As of Sonic Colors, Sonic the Hedgehog and has the same voice actor as Chris Redfield of Resident Evil fame.

I only really know voice actor facts...

ScarlettRage

May 13, 2009
The Puffer Fish is nearly inedible, with a poison called tetrodotoxin running through most of its body.

E.Blackadder

Apr 26, 2011
The whole of WW2 may if been avoided if Hitler passed art college, or was killed by a shell like the rest of his squad.
The tuatara has a 3rd eye, not visible to us humans.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Did you know a squid have three hearts?

I know this because a red bean told me so-

Alfador_VII

Nov 2, 2009
Polar Bears are black (you can see this on the nose), with colourless fur.

They only look white, because the hollow fibres of the fur reflect light.

Tyro The Fox

Jul 28, 2010
A large percentage of the human race will attempt to lick their own elbow after being told that they can't just to make sure.

Feet is not an accurate measure of penis size. In actual fact, the distance between the thumb and index finger when in the shape of a gun is much more accurate.

Typing in the Konami Code (up, up, down, down, left, right, left, right, B, A) into certain websites will yield special Easter eggs hidden away in the code. A special site was set up to try and keep track of them all: http://konamicodesites.com/

The most effective method of clearing ones nostril is a technique called 'The Snot Rocket'. Simply close one nostril and blow hard through the other.

Its more beneficial to pick your nose than clean your ears of earwax. The ear wax is not meant to be removed or anything as it maintains levels by itself. Furthermore, damage can because by pushing earbuds in too far. Picking you nose is perfectly fine though. Its only gunge with germs in.

Moths are not attracted to light in the dark. What they actually do is, during the day of course, use the Sun to navigate in a straight line. They tune their flight in relation to where the Sun is and get around that way. At night, we humans turn on our artificial lights, acting as small suns for the moth to use as navigation. This results in a moth that flies around and around a light source but to the moth its going in a straight direction.

The new Yogi-bear is the most frightening CGI monster ever created.

Honey in tea is surprisingly nice.

Nintendo have been in business for around 100 years ago. It made money by selling other little knick-knacks like playing cards.

The reason Pokemon do not die was a moral choice made by the creator of Pokemon: Satoshi Tajiri. He thought that the game would be too bloody and violent, so made them faint as a more kid-friendly alternative.

GTModified

Feb 21, 2010
thats more of a fact than interesting trivia id have said, also to add to that, caster is the adjustment of a wheel on a horizontal plane, measured in toe out or toe in

9thRequiem

Sep 21, 2010
When the Celsius scale was first created, the creator put boiling at 0 degrees and freezing at 100. It wasn't changed around until after his death.

TheKruzdawg

Apr 28, 2010
Jaythulhu said:
There are 22 La's in the first verse of the original Smurfs theme song.

[Edit]

Also, US Vice-President Spiro Agnew's name (he served under Nixox, '69 - '73) is an anagram for Grow A Penis.
That makes me sad to know that... someone close to me had that nickname in college because he was the VP of a club. I'm hoping I forget this soon :\

redisforever

Oct 5, 2009
StraightToHeck said:
loc978 said:
For Valve fans:
Black Mesa was the name of a US Army rocketry test range in Utah.
On a note related to that, the Black Hand (of Dark Brotherhood fame) was the name of the Serbian group that assasinated Archduke Francis Ferdinand of Austria, thus leading to the start of WWI
Also of C&C Renegade fame.

burhanr said:
In 1903, a stone phallus weighing 2.2 tons was unearthed in rural Ohio.
So that's where I left it! Kidding...possibly.

OT: Brisbane, Australia was originally founded as a prison for those who committed crimes after being sent to Australia for committing crimes in Britain.

Captcha: war calling
You know, that's the first captcha I got that made any sort of sense!

Winthrop

Apr 7, 2010
romanator0 said:
Human's can't lick their elbows.
It depends on how you take that. With a bent arm you cannot but if you stick out your arm straight and use the other to pull it to your body you can.

OT:Corn fields are hotter than the surrounding area because of the heat and insulation from the corn and contrary to popular belief Las Vegas does not allow prostitution while much of Nevada still does.

funguy2121

Oct 20, 2009
thick doona said:
Hi guys, I'd love to see some useless trivia!

Did you know that there is no mathematical function to gain the exact square root of all real numbers?
Look, I don't know where you came from, kid from Jerry Macquire, but you're awfully bossy today!

IcarusPherae

Oct 1, 2009
Chamale said:
Adrian Neyland said:
Fact
-Sharks are immune to cancer
-Blind chameleons will change color to match their surroundings
-Dolphins are the only animal apart from humans that can experience sexual pleasure
-A swan is the only bird with a penis
All of those are wrong. Sharks can occasionally get cancer, but it's rare because they tend to die violently before becoming old enough. Chameleons don't change colour to match their surroundings, various primates and other animals experience sexual please, and many species of birds have penises.

Here's a bit of trivia that's also a useful bit of fire safety information:

sharks have no bones only cartilage, cartilage cannot become cancerous

not a single bird has a penis what they have instead is cloaca swelling in which the cloaca swells outward appearing very much like a penis, but is nonetheless only the cloaca

and also a large portion of sweat is actually urine

(biology is a fun major for useless facts!!!)

Dingo John

Mar 26, 2011
There is a discussion of whether the city of Troy were actually conquered the way we learned it (Horse of Troy) or if it was actually an earthquake that broke down the walls and allowed the Archaians into the city. The god of earthquakes was Poseidon, and he was often portrayed as a horse.

It could all have been rewritten, with the great horse being a statue to honor the god that allowed the greeks to win.

instantbenz

Pixel Pusher
Mar 25, 2009
Tea tree oil is poisonous to hedgehogs. Also if a hedgehog dislikes the taste of something they foam at the mouth and spit up on themselves.

Egg-tempra paint is to be stored in a container with the least amount of surface to air ratio as possible.

brinvixen

Mar 3, 2011
Even though people say that they want a panini, they actually want a panino, as "panino" is the proper singular form for the sandwich. "Panini" is the plural. Although in my case, I always want panini, because having one panino is wasting panini!

SplashyAxis

May 1, 2010
Hens can change their sex from female to male. Hens only ever use one of their ovaries (I'm certain it's the left one). If their active ovary becomes damaged, a hen could potentially release a very high amount of testosterone and turn its other ovary into a testicle, along with a complete change in behaviour, displaying the characteristics of cockrels. It happens in 1 of every 10,000 hens.

Moonlight Butterfly

Be the Leaf
Mar 16, 2011
Cats curve thier tail into a question mark shape as a greeting.

Rhubarb leaves are poisonous and shouldn't be grown if you have animals that might eat them.