Postal 2 - Ambitious Garbage

El Comandante

Jul 31, 2013
Hehe Postal 2, as all Postal Games it´s on the Index in Germany, making it even more a legend among 15 year old boys. You can get it on a Lan-Party, piss two goals on the waals and play streethocky with shovels and a served head. Great fun!

Jul 20, 2014
Hey stew POSTAL 2 Dev here. Thanks for the review, quick note the game was developed by no more then 8 guys in a room with our own money. Wasn't exactly AAA development lol. We are still around today because of the dedication of our hardcore fanbase who, to the day, still are hard at work keepingn p2 alive. We are also coming our with a P2 addon called Paradose Lost for this XMAS.

Magmarock

Sep 1, 2011
I disagree with this review. First I really don't think it's fair to compare Far Cry to Postal 2 by any stretch, However I do think Postal 2 can hold it's own a true sand box game and a fun one at that.

I agree that the shooting mechanics aren't that great but for me the game truly shines with freedom and exploration.

+Level Design
The games level design is really quite interesting and very detailed. Every house can entered and every door can be opened. More often then not there is something to, but even if there isn't you can find something to do like setting stuff on fire.

+interactivity
I'm really surprised at how interactive this game was. It reacts to a lot of different things you can do. The police actually taking you to jail if you allow them is just plain cool. Anther thing you can do is pee on a doughnut can then let a cop eat it from which he will then vomit. It's small but it's another little detail they put it.

The AI is also worth mention it's actually quite smart and has a habit of following you and reaching you even you get to a really hard to reach place.

+True sandbox freedom
I really can't emphasise enough just how much freedom this game gives you. You can rob a bank, stop a bank robbery or avoid it all together.

From the get go the games pretty much lets you go anywhere and do any thing. The freedom don't' just apply to the who you can/can't kill.

The physics also plays a role. You can cut off a persons head with a shovel set it on fire and then run around and kick it like a flaming soccer ball setting other things on fire. It's oddly satisfying and I recommend everyone try it.

A brief note on the weapons, the shovel and shotgun are really satisfying to use.

So that's my brief review of Postal 2 and you might not agree, but I hope this opinion was interesting. I really do think with the right mind set this game can be enjoyed.

Mike Jaret-Schachter said:
Hey stew POSTAL 2 Dev here. Thanks for the review, quick note the game was developed by no more then 8 guys in a room with our own money. Wasn't exactly AAA development lol. We are still around today because of the dedication of our hardcore fanbase who, to the day, still are hard at work keepingn p2 alive. We are also coming our with a P2 addon called Paradose Lost for this XMAS.
Will that be coming to GOG? DRM Free for the win.

JMac85

Nov 1, 2007
There are achievements for beating the game without killing anyone, so it's possible to get through levels like the library without going on a rampage. There's a tazer, so you can run up and stun people.

Toploader7

Jul 20, 2014
Appreciate the review. it's not quite damning enough to put on our next compilation box (you really can't beat Computer Gaming World's 'Until someone boxes up syphilis... POSTAL 2 is the worst product ever' 0/10' that is proudly displayed on our fudge pack) but a good read none the less. Ambitious Garbage will no doubt be on the side of a garbage truck in a future game in honor of this review though.

Magmarock said:
Will that be coming to GOG? DRM Free for the win.
Yeah it will. As will the many free updates that we've added to Steam since its release (other than workshop, but workshop mods will be able to be manually installed into the GoG version).

For what it's worth, the Steam version is also DRM free, although it uses many Steamwork features (Achievements, cloud saving, workshop, trading cards) it's also totally portable and does not require Steam running to play.

Oh, and aforementioned Steam version with all the updates is currently on sale but not for much longer ;)

Thanks for the support to all that posted in this thread! One only has to look at the overwhelming amount of positive reviews on Steam compared to the few negative to see many people get much enjoyment from P2.

Grimh

Feb 11, 2009
All I remember from playing Postal 2 ages ago is that (I think) I peed on someones grave for some reason. Possibly belonging to one of the protagonist's parents? In any case, this thread has convinced me to pick it up and refresh my memory.

Oskuro

Nov 18, 2009
I like the game, but understand the criticism.

My usual test to see if someone will like or dislike the type of humour in the game is to mention that you can catch cats, shove a gun up their ass and use them as silencers.

Pretty much says it all.

StewShearerOld

Geekdad News Writer
Jan 5, 2013
JMac85 said:
There are achievements for beating the game without killing anyone, so it's possible to get through levels like the library without going on a rampage. There's a tazer, so you can run up and stun people.
I didn't encounter this during my playthrough (which is on me) and I'll have to make sure to add some mention of it. Thanks for the heads up.

JMac85

Nov 1, 2007
StewShearer said:
I didn't encounter this during my playthrough (which is on me) and I'll have to make sure to add some mention of it. Thanks for the heads up.
One can be found in one of the houses near your trailer in the beginning.

Stryc9

Elite Member
Nov 12, 2008
Toploader7 said:
our next compilation box
Wait wait wait...new...compilation...box?...where and when do I jam money to get this? I missed the Krotchy-Os boxed set and I still kick myself in the balls over that occasionally.

DOOM GUY

Welcome to the Fantasy Zone
Jul 3, 2010
I fucking love Postal 2, sure it's crude, and the gameplay leaves a lot to be desired, but it's also super fun.

Also, playing fetch with a dog using a severed head is totally awesome!

Metalrocks

Jan 15, 2009
this game is just full of black humor. obviously not everyone likes it. i personally have a blast with it that i bought my self many years ago the fudge pack over ebay that contains all games, including 2 fan made mods. the weekend part was not so good since it was really linear and you pretty much had no freedom anymore. but postal 2 it self is awesome. yeah, the shooting mechanic is not good but hell, with cheats on, it makes the game even more hilarious. shooting cats from some of your weapons instead of bullets? priceless.

Toploader7

Jul 20, 2014
Stryc9 said:
Toploader7 said:
our next compilation box
Wait wait wait...new...compilation...box?...where and when do I jam money to get this? I missed the Krotchy-Os boxed set and I still kick myself in the balls over that occasionally.
Yeah, we'll have something new once the new DLC is out no doubt.

xGrimReaperzZ

Dec 8, 2013
I read the article's name and thought that it said Portal 2 and i got extremely confused as i read the beginning of the article, then i remembered that *that* game exists.

Flutterguy

Jun 26, 2011
Postal 2 was a fun game. Not great, but the novelty still stands over a decade later. It's biggest problem was made in 2003 on a thin budget.

'REMOVE PINEAL GLAND TAKE OVER WORLD' on the posters in the mental institution. The background humor was better then the obvious jokes (Mostly rednecks, fatness, ugliness, over the top violence).

Try combining cat with your shotgun!

CaitSeith

Formely Gone Gonzo
Legacy
Jun 30, 2014
So what I understand from the review, the final verdict is: recommended only if your curiosity gets the best of you.

Toploader7

Jul 20, 2014
Fancy Pants said:
I honestly didn't believe there were people that liked Postal.
We've always known it's got a big following, but the positive to negative Steam review ratio surprised even us.

http://steamcommunity.com/app/223470/reviews/