Precipice of Evolution: First Genesis [Closed;Started]

CounterAttack

A Writer With Many Faces
Dec 25, 2008
12,093
0
0
Nock the arrow, draw back the string, hold for half a second... release. Thwack. Even as the shaft sped towards the target Karen's free hand was on its way back up to her quiver to withdraw the next arrow. Four shots released so far, all of them within centimetres of the exact center of her target. There would be more of them, but the doc had suggested that she take a slower approach this time.

Before she could nock the next arrow, Doc Holt's voice came in over the stand's speaker. "Impressive, Karen. Very impressive. Although... I have another suggestion, if you're willing to hear it." Karen groaned inwardly. He was always trying to get her to do things a little differently. She'd learned that it was easier to just go with it than to argue over what was often a small thing. Giving a small sigh of annoyance at being interrupted, she pressed the button on the intercom unit and answered, "What'd you have in mind, doc?"

"Make your next shot while your feet are off the floor."

"What do you mean?" Karen knew perfectly well what he meant, but she wasn't about to go with this one. She didn't want to do it. It was entirely possible, of course; she would likely land a decent shot as usual, and she'd had a good portion of her clothing adjusted to compensate for her anatomical difference. But this was pushing her a bit too far.

"You know exactly what I mean, Karen. Take to the air for your next arrow."

"Sorry, doc, that's not gonna happen," she answered. "I prefer to have a stable footing when practising." That was the polite way to word her reasoning.

"Karen, why are you so reluctant to try this? Just once -" Doc Holt was interrupted by another voice coming through the range's speakers. The voice was that of the woman who usually read out the announcements and such.

"Ladies and Gentlemen, this is a PRACC emergency broadcast. Please remain calm. Follow these instructions while PRACC guards are on their way to escort you back to your homes until further notice. Lock all doors and remain stationary. If you are in public, head to the nearest building and remain. If possible please go directly to the hall, located across from the park. This is not a drill. Failure to comply with authority during this time will lead to serious repercussion."

"Oh, for fuck's sake," Karen groaned, extremely annoyed now. She was of the mind that if the PRACC could find these people, they could at least keep the more dangerous ones under control. For now, she returned her arrow to its quiver and set her bow down in case she was recognised as a threat. Karen was pissed at being confined to the facility, but she wasn't stupid enough to be found holding a potentially lethal weapon in the event of a lockdown.
 

BoosterGold

New member
Jul 21, 2010
6,348
0
0
As David was telling Cid all about the unexpected email from an old friend, Dr. Strauss came onto the loud speakers accompanied by the blaring alarm indicating a crisis situation
"Ladies and Gentlemen, this is a PRACC emergency broadcast. Please remain calm. Follow these instructions while PRACC guards are on their way to escort you back to your homes until further notice. Lock all doors and remain stationary. If you are in public, head to the nearest building and remain. If possible please go directly to the hall, located across from the park. This is not a drill. Failure to comply with authority during this time will lead to serious repercussion."

I hope its nothing too serious this time. David thought recalling all the other instances that this kind of warning had been issued, and most of them involved people in the detention center escaping. David's first thoughts were for his students at the university, he was concerned for there safety but quickly came to the conclusion that they were probably as safe as they were going to be inside the university walls. His next instinct was to figure out what exactly was going on and then figure out a way to help the PRACC contain it. He realized that as a history professor he probably wasn't the best to deal with a crisis situation, but the dome was his home, and he was going to do his damnedest to defend it.

"Cid I'm going to go scout the situation and then I'm going to see whats going on, and then I'm going to see what I can do to help." David said getting up from the table and running outside the door, of the restaurant. Once outside the restaurant he surveyed the city streets and saw a good deal of people heading inside to find shelter as he probably should be doing as well but than David Gold often made stupid choices, when it came to crisis situations.

The professor walked into the middle of the street and grew to an extraordinary size, so large in fact that his head was almost touching the dome ceiling. From this vantage point he was able to see every point in the dome. His eyes instinctively went to the detention center. and notice that something looked terribly wrong with it.
 

2ndblackjedi

New member
Sep 12, 2008
607
0
0
Alice sat up at the sound of the emergency broadcast. She closed her book and held it with her as she got out of her seat and walked to the window. She slid the window open and peeked out, trying to see what was going on. Alice saw people below, heading inside or back to their homes. Alice briefly considered doing just that, but was far too curious. She had to know what was happening. Alice assumed whatever it was was happening at the detention and centre and she looked in that direction. Just as she did, an extremely tall man seemed to grow out of nowhere. Most of the residents and guards were distracted by the man. Alice smirked a bit and left the window, rushing past people down the stairs and out the library, taking advantage of the distraction to try to get as close to the detention centre as she could.
 

Safe in the Dark

What is a man?
Jun 5, 2010
11,861
0
0
Revis had charged at the door one last time ready to give it a final go, and as he leaned in.... His door slid open and he fell into the hallway where some of the other prisoners were shifting about. Some had looked uncertain about whether or not they should be running, rioting, or staying, and Revis could understand that. This was the 'petty offences' block, their stay wasn't too long, and jeopardizing the situation could get them transferred to the more unstable blocks when this blew over.

Revis shook his head at such gross stagnation and listened closely. "No...No...help me, someone...-" It was coming from THAT corridor, and it sounded like she was being used as some sort of hostage. "Well... I was headed there anyway...." Revis sighed slightly and made his way out through the small crowd towards the end of the hallway, and went towards the young woman and the guard. "Oi. You there. Let the girl go and maybe I won't show you how I handle those who shield themselves with others."

He shot the man a glare and the red markings on his blackened arm began to glow slightly, providing a faint scarlet tint to the space between them. "I'm not having a very good day, y'see... I'd hate for your day to have to get as shitty as mine is." He shrugged as a smirk etched itself across his face. "Then again.... I wouldn't risk harming the girl to kill you, so maybe taking a hostage was a good idea... I'm the worst here on this block, and if I won't risk hurting her, none of those chumps will. Your call. But then again... Do anything to the girl, and I'll have to give your last minute excruciatingly.... Morose."
 

Black Rock Shooter

New member
Aug 18, 2012
13
0
0
Eve had noticed the blaring alarms and and looked up from her book. "Already inside. Minimum compliance status accomplished." She went back to reading, but there was something she couldn't ignore. The blare of the alarms and the commotion on the street was stirring something up inside her. The pain in her head came back and her vision started to blur slightly.
Code:
[i]'Anti changed counter measures loading... 34% completion rate, engaging lethality parameters. No threat expected to exceed B class. Commenci-'[/i]
Eve's focus shifted back for a second. 'Need to access a secluded location.' She burst from the library's nearest window and spotted the forrested area leading towards the detention center. She nodded to her self, deeming this the most adequately isolated area around, despite the commotion she detected nearby.

She landed in the woods, and felt herself slowly slip from her own control. Her fingers revealed the ten gun barrels hidden in them, and she felt her body slowly materialize something onto her back.
 

VaudevillianVeteran

No Comment Necessary.
Sep 19, 2009
54,592
0
0
Ross' eyes widened as he was running out of options, the Changed in the hallway were starting to make a bigger commotion though seemingly not paying much attention to the stare-down that was happening between him and the prisoner with the horrifying arm.
He tightened his grip on the woman who dug her nails into his arm, trying to break skin.
He considered his choices, between going back in there with the girl, but likely being chased down and...well, he had heard about what this prisoner had done to several people when he broke in, nothing but Y shapes left behind. If he let her go, he'd either be locked out or if he came back to that woman empty-handed, something much worse would happen.

"L-Look... I don't want to do this, but I need to-"
A fist fight had broken out among two of the changed, one with the ability to turn his hands into heavy weights and a woman (who threw the first punch) with force-field manipulation. A small group formed around them, while a semi-clear path was made between Revis and the nervous guard.

"...If you knew what was good for you, you'd go back to your cell! This woman is sick and needs immediat-"
"I'm not sick!" With that the hostage took her chance at the upper hand and bit down into his hand, drawing blood, with that, she seemingly tried to throw him off causing him to hit the wall behind them. The woman looked severe and her pupils dilated but it was quickly dropped and she returned to looking bewildered. As she tried to run, the guard grabbed onto her leg while reaching for another means to "stick her".
"Get off of me!" She struggled, kicking her leg. A few of the inmates broke from watching the brawl between the man and the woman (with whom both were looking worse for wear but it seemed to be a tie) and watched the scene, some sniggering.

[hr]

Off into the distance, David Gold could see something not easily explained. The detention facility, a large seven story hexagonal shaped building with pillars at the sides. The building slate grey and dreary to look at with high, reinforced gates and checkpoints surrounding it.
The building had a bizarre white and blue aura around it, similar to a thick mist, almost making it impossible to see.
 

Fury Is Me.

Oh, Tasty Tasty.
Feb 20, 2010
25,443
0
0
Cid Had heard the alarms and closed his eyes as they began to blare, a small smile across his face. He sighed and nodded to what David had said to him. "Seems like it's one of those days, huh David?" But as he opened his eyes, David Gold wasn't there. It wasn't hard to find him, though. He was impossible to miss outside. Cid had already assessed that the students would be safest where they were and took minimal thought to their safety, though he was indeed worried. He walked out with his friend and had already decided on his course of action. Cid Kayfer, knowing how this song and dance went, decided he'd view the Containment Center from a distance before heading on home. He had his colonies give David a sharp pinch on the legs, calling for his attention, and knowing that no blow that Cid could deliver from his own self would be noticed by the colossus right now.
 

Safe in the Dark

What is a man?
Jun 5, 2010
11,861
0
0
Revis sighed again. "Giving this guy the consistency of a chunky soup isn't the best option right now.... Feh." With a severely annoyed look on his face he plunged his left arm straight into the floor and manoeuvred it where he wanted it. "Even if I did go back to my cell, I wouldn't get any sleep with this commotion, and you and her bickering. It's simple really." He said shrugging his free arm.

His arm had burst up from the ground behind the guard and sprouted several tendril like appendages, each with their own little 'Hands'. Revis concentrated and attempted to grab and restrain the man in several places. He wasn't used to using his arm for things like this, but this wasn't a necessarily difficult shift. "Hopefully, this'll work...."
 

SteakHeart

New member
Jul 20, 2009
15,098
0
0
Jerald remained pacing around the garage, all alone. He picked up a phone and dialed the information center.

"Hello, PRACC information center."

"Yes, this is-"

"We cannot answer your call at the moment. Please leave a message at the tone. Para instructiones en español-"

Jerald set the phone back on its base, slamming down loudly and cracking the plastic. He realizes his raincoat was still in the mudroom - if anyone found the mask inside and identified it as The Mask's mask, he'd have the police at his door in no time.

He walked out to the door and opened it a crack, checking for any people. Everyone must have been inside. He set off at a quick jog, towards the room. When he got there, he grabbed his coat and slipped it on, then closed the door and sat down.
 

Lizmichi

Detective Prince
Jul 2, 2009
4,809
0
0
Lisbeth had finished eating her breakfast and head out to do some shopping when the announcement was made. "Dammit, who fucked up now? I'm low on coffee and I will not be a pleasant person without it. Well, looks like I'm working today after all." Lizbeth sighed and looked back at Ajani.

"Don't give me that smug look mister. I may give you a bath for that." Lizbeth said walking to her couch. "But before work, I feel like some Persona 4. A bit of an old game but my god is it a good one." she said turning on her PS2 and relaxed, Ajani jumping up and curled up next to her purring.

"Why did I even name you Ajani? Yea you look like the planswalker from Magic the Gathering but you sure as hell don't act like him. You don't even rip shit up. You just beg for food and purr then sleeps after." she laughed some then looked back at her TV.

"Let?s see if I can save Naoto." she said to herself and sighed.
 

2ndblackjedi

New member
Sep 12, 2008
607
0
0
Alice gazed for a moment at the aura around the detention facility. She kept moving towards it, blending in with the crowd that was rushing in many directions. No one had time to stop her or even paid attention as she got closer. Another resident, a young man, bumped into her as she walked, causing them both to fall.

"Watch where you're going!" the young man said as he got up. Alice glared at him as she stood. She flicked her fingers at him and a small flame sprung from them to the man's shirt. He panicked and tried to put it out. Alice grinned evilly and considered burning him entirely, but curiosity made her keep going. She left the man to deal with his new mess. On her way, she passed below the man who had grown to a giant size earlier and vaguely recognized him from the university. Alice continued heading towards the strange aura.
 

BoosterGold

New member
Jul 21, 2010
6,348
0
0
David saw the "HannukAura", as he had already dubbed the blue and white aura in his mind, encasing the D.C. He had no idea what it was, but looking at it brought only one thought to his mind. That the people inside the facility were most likely in some sort of danger. So against all better judgement he was going to run head first into that danger and hopefully he would be able to help.

David Gold felt something pinch his ankle and looked down, it was Cid's colonies. On most occasions this would be David's hint that he was about to do something stupid, and should probably think about it. Something was different about this time though, he needed to help here and now.

So using his years of experience with his changed abilities David Gold, used his enormous size to run to the Detention Center while avoiding the people in the streets, as well as helping crowds to safety along the way. In very little time he had traversed the considerable distance from the German restaurant he was at to the PRACC detention facility. Once he was at the Detention facility he found a guard and said, "I'm David Gold I'm a teacher at the university and I'm here to offer my assistance." said David, already he had a plan on how to get in if they did not accept his offer.
 

NeoAC

Zombie Nation #LetsRise
Jun 9, 2008
8,574
0
0
"Ladies and Gentlemen, this is a PRACC emergency broadcast. Please remain calm. Follow these instructions while PRACC guards are on their way to escort you back to your homes until further notice. Lock all doors and remain stationary. If you are in public, head to the nearest building and remain. If possible please go directly to the hall, located across from the park. This is not a drill. Failure to comply with authority during this time will lead to serious repercussion..."

"What?" Darren looked up from his Twitter page and glanced over to the door. "You gotta be kiddin' me?" He got up from his computer and went for the door. A couple of twists confirmed that it had been locked back in place. "Got dang it!" Stuck in here, s'more like prison. Awe-fuckin-some. Darren let a few sparks fly, to see where his power levels were at. The lock should be no problem to blast open. They can't keep me caged in'ere.

As he thought about it though, Darren saw the benefits to being kept inside. For one, it was clear his weekly appointment would be cancelled. For two, it meant that someone was mucking up stuff pretty well in the heart of these buggers' lair. Maybe I will just sit tight, root for whoever's at it. Take some of them praccing bastards down. For now, Darren decided to be a good little captive, and remain in his apartment, idling by on the computer as he waited for the lockdown to end.
 

2ndblackjedi

New member
Sep 12, 2008
607
0
0
Alice walked quickly, but didn't break into a run. That would've drawn far too much attention. Above her, she saw the giant professor reach the detention centre.

"If he's getting in...so am I," Alice thought. By now her thoughts had shifted slightly from curiosity. The facility was probably chaos on the inside, with Changed rioting and fighting each other. It would be the perfect environment to cut loose. Besides, if she got caught she wouldn't have far to go. Alice's body started to heat up at the thought of going into the facility. It wouldn't be her first time, but certainly the first time she went willingly. She couldn't wait to see what she could do.
 

Lambi

Yuki-Onna
Oct 20, 2009
30,217
0
0
During her walk, Victoria stopped to listen to the announcements about everyone staying inside their homes or nearest buildings. This sounded serious, but she would not be forced into her home while all this was going on. "Fuck that." she said to herself. She intended on staying outside, whether or not it would get her into trouble. She'd be able to handle whatever came her way, or so she said to herself anyway.

However, what would she do right now? The detention center was a fair amount of distance away, but it was nothing her stamina couldn't handle. She saw someone giant walk off towards it, and decided to use him as a sort of guide, even though she knew well enough where the detention center was. Victoria began to run towards the giant man, following him along until he became smaller. Doesn't matter. I'm almost there anyway.

After running for a while, she came to a halt as she reached the detention center. No one had tried to grab her, she ran too quickly and for too long for anyone to catch her if they had attempted it. Besides, she knew shortcuts to stay out of sight, having needed them now and then. At the detention center, she could feel some kind of heat near her as she looked towards a woman close to her. Not wanting to make a scene, just yet anyway, she approached the woman and in a hushed voice, not so low as being a whisper but low enough to not be heard too loudly, she asked her. "Planning on going inside, huh? Don't think you'd get too far on your own. Mind if I join you on it?" Victoria gave a small grin to the thought of entering the detention center to see what the trouble was inside.
 

2ndblackjedi

New member
Sep 12, 2008
607
0
0
Alice had been so deep in thought, she hadn't noticed the new arrival until she spoke. Alice rolled her eyes at the grin and answered "I could get anywhere on my own. I don't need help. You can do whatever you want, just don't get in my way."

Alice kept walking, not bothering to look to see if Victoria was following her. She was too busy thinking about how perfect it would be to burn the whole building down.
 

Lizmichi

Detective Prince
Jul 2, 2009
4,809
0
0
Lizbeth had long ago turned off her PS2, she found herself in a new state, one that wasn't common to her, she was bored. Not the normal bored, this was bored to hell and back. The kind that made ever a recluse like her want to leave the house. After thinking for a bit she decided that she was going to go outside no matter what.

"You know what? Fuck this shit. I'm getting the hell out of here and doing something other than sit around and wait for some ***** to tell me I can leave my apartment. I'm going out... for once." she said with fire. "I can't stand it in here right now. I don't want to work I just want to.. walk I guess." she said packing up her laptop in her gray bag. She slipped on a black pair of boots then opened the front door. "Have fun Ajani." she said closing and locking the door behind her then looked out on the street.

"Well so far it seems clear. I guess I'll find out." she dashed to the side of the road then jumped into some bushes and sure enough a car was patrolling the streets. "What was too close for me." she looked around to make sure she was alone then dashed to the other side of the street almost tripping along the way but made it to another bush.

"God a doctor is hiding in the fucking bushes.. like a teenager trying to sneak out to fuck." Lizbeth just laughed at the situation. "Mom would kill me for this. Anyway where to go? Friends would make this a lot easier on me. WAAIos, make a note to get out more often." she said to her wrist device, WAAIos stands for Wrist Assistant Artificial Intelligence operating system, her Pip Boy as she would say.

WAAIos responded in a cool male voice. "Shall I put it with the note to make for friends or to get more sun ma'am?" Lizbeth just sighed. "Just store it. God even JARVIS isn't like this." she said feeling some smugness from WAAIos. "I'm here to serve you ma'am."

She grumbled some at WAAIos than sighed looking around once more for a car that might catch her. "Ok looks like the coast is clear.. well for now." she said to herself then ran to another set of bushes.

"Wait, I don't even know where I'm going.... I really should have thought this trough before I left. Wow, I are smart." she face palmed at her our idiocy.

She had just stepped out of the bushes when a car drove by. "Oh shit... ummm" she looked around then ran up to the nearest door and ducted and hoped to whatever god there was that they didn't see her and they drove by just like she wasn't there. "Oh thank fucking god. I made it." she sighed and banged her head on the door as WAAIos chimed in. "Let's not do that again. Your pulse is up as is your perspiration."

"No shit WAAIos, I was running after all and was almost caught. Damn I shouldn't of watched Iron Man when I made you." she cursed loudly and, without thinking, pounded hard on the door with her fist.
 

VaudevillianVeteran

No Comment Necessary.
Sep 19, 2009
54,592
0
0
In a short amount of time, the fog had thickened making it almost impossible to see the detention center. No one had came out of the building nor was there any back-up to be seen from outside. Considering the situation, it was eerily quiet. From inside the situation was getting more heated.
The fist-fight between two had turned into a fight between several Changed, varying abilities being used to destroy the far end of the cell block. Some kind of ice blasts, beds being thrown using telekinesis, it was hard to tell who was doing what.
The guard was easily restrained by the tendrils and their "hands", he squirmed in a panic and started rambling off gibberish. The woman had fallen forward after the man lost his grip and landed with a noticeable *Thud*.
"Pleaselookdon'tkillmeIjustwantedtogetout!"
"...You're kinda pathetic... O-Ow..." The woman mumbled while rubbing the arm she landed on, before getting to her feet and dusting herself down.
She still looked somewhat groggy from whatever they had stuck her with but had searching eyes for an exit, she took the opportunity to get away from the guard and moved closer to Revis. More noise could be heard from other cell-blocks, varying between shouting, explosions and screaming.

[hr]

The guards looked up to David Gold, it was easy to tell who was newer to the guards due to their mild awe at the professor. A group of fifteen or so were stationed at the major checkpoint with more branched out into the forested area beside the roads in case any civilians got any smart ideas.

"No go mister, if you know what's good for you, you'll go back towards central or to your home. We're on no sure terms to acknowledge what's going on in the detention facility, but we're to keep this checkpoint closed. We strongly recommend you turn around," The head guard giving a passive look around the small gathering crowd that had formed, "And that stands for all of you! This isn't a sideshow! Go on! For your own good!"

The small flock of guards started to try and dismiss the group, while the head continued to look up at the giant professor.
"Between you and I, whatever is going on over there? I'm just glad I'm stationed here. We haven't even heard back from the first group who went in to clear the place." He mumbled, not really caring the man heard him or not before giving a dismissive hand to move on his way.
 

SteakHeart

New member
Jul 20, 2009
15,098
0
0
Uh, not really sure what to do right now. Kinda wrote myself into a corner, location-wise.
 

Safe in the Dark

What is a man?
Jun 5, 2010
11,861
0
0
"You can get out through an exit that way right?" Revis said to the main, pointing to the corridor away from the fight. ".... I don't feel like having to pay for wasting you, and you've been a good little boy, so go on, get out of here. Just go." He said to the man with a smirk. "Better make it snappy too... That party back there is getting pretty crazy." He turned the man around with the tendrils before pulling it all back into his arm, retracting it back to it's base shape and size. "Hey... You okay?" Revis asked, helping the girl up and looking her over. "You're in no shape to get out of here alone... not with everyone going mad, and that damn F-blockers running around." Revis sighed. "Looks like I'm going to protect you for a bit."