Predict the most overrated game of 2016

M0rp43vs

Most Refined Escapist
Jul 4, 2008
Bombiz said:
what is the unknow good game equivalent(?) to it?
Easy. It's any game that OP likes because objectively they have superior taste and it's not his fault that everyone but OP likes ENJOYING shit.

Being real and answering, that's probably what's known as a cult classic. Unfairly (or fairly) panned by critics and only bought by a handful of people but people those people like it so much that it forms a cult following. Of course, thanks to the internet, people gushing about cult classics means more people pick them up which means they are no longer unknown and thus mainstream and therefore OVERRATED!

Ryallen

Will never say anything smart
Feb 25, 2014
AccursedTheory said:
So... most overrated game of 2016 will be... whatever this guy [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/profiles/view] thinks the best game of the year is. Because whatever it is, it will suffer from the same problem as The Witcher 3 - It may very well be the best game of the year (I thought W3 was), but it most certainly wont hold up to the hype and the ratings given to it. The best game ever made could never live up to the best review written or the best hype generated. Never.
Jokes on you, MY GOTY was Xenoblade Chronicles X.

OP: An overrated game is basically code for "I didn't enjoy this game and anyone who does is a sheep" at this point, and I don't really find value in attempting to predict a game that I won't like but everyone else will. It's a bit of a futile gesture as I subscribe to the mindset that I don't know what I like until I try it. For example, I didn't know that I would like bullet hells until I tried them out. We all know that The Division isn't going to be great. At this point, it can only be pretty good at best. The Last Guardian is either going to be mind-blowing or god awful, as is FFXV. Persona 5 is gonna be loved by most everyone at this point, and I will be no different. The media might like Mass Effect, but I don't know about the fanbase.

You get the idea. I can't really give a straight answer as to my prediction. I just prefer to wait and see what happens.

The Jovian

Dec 21, 2012
Zhukov said:
Quantum Break is going to be particularly terrible. Oh look, a shooter with slo-mo. How original. Press the freeze time I Win button and click on everybody's heads. Yawn.
Clearly you've never played F.E.A.R. which also had a slow motion mechanic and it one of the hardest shooters I've played.

Plus they're making a big deal about being able to pay a bunch of TV stars to come along and humiliate themselves by trying to deliver video game dialogue with a straight face. At least that will be something to laugh at.
Let's reserve judgement for the game's writing until we've experienced it for ourselves, okay?

Now that I got that defense of the only AAA title I legitimately give a damn about, my guess is Mass Effect: Andromeda, now that the people that made past Mass Effect titles worthwhile are no longer a part of BioWare, might as well say the same for the next Dragon Age game.

Also I'm gonna call it, Unravel will disappoint because no amount of originality can survive contact with EA unscathed.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
The Jovian said:
Zhukov said:
Quantum Break is going to be particularly terrible. Oh look, a shooter with slo-mo. How original. Press the freeze time I Win button and click on everybody's heads. Yawn.
Clearly you've never played F.E.A.R. which also had a slow motion mechanic and it one of the hardest shooters I've played.

Plus they're making a big deal about being able to pay a bunch of TV stars to come along and humiliate themselves by trying to deliver video game dialogue with a straight face. At least that will be something to laugh at.
Let's reserve judgement for the game's writing until we've experienced it for ourselves, okay?
Read the first 17 posts of the first page of this thread.

That should make things clearer.

EDIT: Although, for the record, my only memory of FEAR's gameplay is hitting the slow motion button then clicking on everybody's head three times each with the nailgun-ish weapon. (I think it was called an Impaler or a Penetrator.)

Saetha said:
Zhukov said:
You. I see you. I see what ya did.
You saw nothing. Nothing!

chikusho

Jun 14, 2011
I predict that the game of predicting overrated game will be the most overrated game of 2016.

rayman 101

Jun 7, 2008
Meiam said:
rayman 101 said:
Xsjadoblayde said:
Over...rated? I have no idea how to form a negative opinion on a potentially positive mass opinion of something that cannot yet be judged. That kind of logic folds my brain inside out.
I swear to god overrated has become the millennial's ultimate buzzword. The quality of the Escapist's community discussions have been taking a massive nose dive, and this is a magnus opus shit heap of a thread. This knee-jerk shallow cynicism is what outsiders used to stereotype the Escapist and its members as being, and now it's a stereotype that has sadly become true.
Complaining about cynic thread while going into thread of there own free will to make a cynical post (will using word like "magnus opus), the mark of a true intellectual! I raise my top hat to you m'sir. Do forgive us, we shall stay out of your way, no doubt to go and revolutionize the world or save poor starving orphan.
*tips fedora*

Thank you for that over-exaggerated post good sir! I will also get out of your way so you can contribute further in this shit hole of a thread, in this shit hole of a forum! I'll speak greatly to all the orphans I rescue of the sick ownage you just delivered!

Josh123914

They'll fix it by "Monday"
Nov 17, 2009
rayman 101 said:
AccursedTheory said:
So... most overrated game of 2016 will be... whatever this guy [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/profiles/view] thinks the best game of the year is. Because whatever it is, it will suffer from the same problem as The Witcher 3 - It may very well be the best game of the year (I thought W3 was), but it most certainly wont hold up to the hype and the ratings given to it. The best game ever made could never live up to the best review written or the best hype generated. Never.
That's cute. Especially considering the Witcher 3 is an ungodly piece of shit. But does that make it overrated? Nope-I just have different tastes and interests than the majority of websites that have flooded with hundreds of game awards.

But whatever-keep on trucking on Escapist, you irrelevant cesspool, shit hole of a website and forum.
...Well I thought it was fun.

Especially all the little sidequests. It looked like some effort was put into them beyond "Go here and kill X"

Danbo Jambo

Sep 26, 2014
B-Cell said:
Hello,

My friends, what games you think will be most overrated games this year?

heres i think most likely will be

Mass Effect andromeda: Its my number 1. its going to be extremely overrated because its first ever next gen mass effect game. it will barely RPG more of cover shooter and will gone open world. it will be more dumbed down than mass effect 3. but it will recieve too much of 10, critical acclaim from various critics. i predict its undoubtly most overrated game this year.
Think you've nailed the favourite right off the bat. I'd love it to return to a ME1 style ACTUAL RPG game, but EA/Bioware's obsession with making everything open-world awesome-button will likely wreck that.

"Hi, I'm Mike Laidlw, and here at Bioware we acknowledge you're feedback on DA:2, and will be making Dragon Age Inquisition more like Dragon Age Origins......."

*releases game which is even further away from Origins*

Bracing myself for how bad the interactive open world movie of ME:A will be.

Also, I think it's be interesting to see how X-Com 2 fares long term. The excess amount of time based mission, and subsequent lack of tension and fear (as you just kinda accept that folk are going to die) will kill a lot of love for it IMO.

Buckets

May 1, 2014
Maybe the idea that serialising something like Final Fantasy VII, chances are people will buy the first couple, realise it just doesn't work and not bother with the next (insert number here) episodes. We already know the story from the previous incarnation anyway, so doubt any cliffhangers will really be surprising.

B-Cell_v1legacy

Feb 9, 2016
rayman 101 said:
AccursedTheory said:
That's cute. Especially considering the Witcher 3 is an ungodly piece of shit. But does that make it overrated? Nope-I just have different tastes and interests than the majority of websites that have flooded with hundreds of game awards.

But whatever-keep on trucking on Escapist, you irrelevant cesspool, shit hole of a website and forum.
Witcher 3 has one of the world worst combat ever.

Chairman Miaow

CBA to change avatar
Nov 18, 2009
I really think this thread should just get locked before it gets to far, this is just flame bait beyond belief. Especially when it's not even games you are excited for but expect to be disappointed by. This is just a list of games released from series you never liked in the first place.

I am slightly excited to see a few games this year, like DOOM, Mass effect. I expect to be dissappointed given the direction towards soap opera shooter Mass Effect was taking and how well remakes like DOOM have done in the past.

Nazulu

They will not take our Fluids
Jun 5, 2008
B-Cell said:
Casual Shinji said:
So instead of getting on people's case for liking what they like, we're predicting getting on their case for liking what they like? Looks like the whining has evoled.
My friend, here we are just predicting that what will be most overrated games. as there will be many to come
I apologise for some of the responses. Certain people here get really defensive when words like 'over-rated' are used, or just when they see a negative thread in general. They could just ignore the thread, but no, they feel they have to force their opinions onto others, though they would fucking hate it themselves.

I do recommend you try to go into more detail to make it more interesting. Might make things run smoother with others too in future.

As for my response, I have no idea. I can't answer till I see enough of the game. Though I have a feeling the FF7 remake will have changes made to it in the wrong area's. Including the idea to release it episodically is a sickening thought.

Josh123914

They'll fix it by "Monday"
Nov 17, 2009
Oh, if Civ 6 gets released this year (as it should) then Civ 6.

Almost everyone interested will delude themselves into thinking this time the vanilla game will be as good or better than its predecessor. Not since perhaps Civ 3 has that been true, and I'd advise everybody interested in Civ 6 to wait until its on sale along with the inevitable expansion pack that fixes stuff.

I mean, Civ 5 is great now with BNW and G&K, but before those two? You couldn't even found religions, what the fuck kind of a game is that?

Elijin

Elite Muppet
Legacy
Feb 15, 2009
My favourite part of this thread was definitely when the OP took shots at a whole pile of well loved series, then immediately took offense at someone predicting his favoured title will be overrated.

On a more topic related note, I think predicting overrated things is weird. You're essentially predicting that you wont like it, but most others will. Its a nice way to try and say everyone else is gonna be wrong, rather than understanding opinions are subjective. "Not really my thing" and "Didnt really capture me", add the phrases to your vocabulary

Nazulu

They will not take our Fluids
Jun 5, 2008
Elijin said:
My favourite part of this thread was definitely when the OP took shots at a whole pile of well loved series, then immediately took offense at someone predicting his favoured title will be overrated.
Took shots? He's just saying what he thinks will get more popularity than it deserves, I don't see the part where he said his opinion is fact part. And I don't see how this is more offensive than saying it may come out crap. Everybody here has decried something in there life while being confused by it's popularity, so this isn't much a of a stretch.

Also, I can't find where he took offense.

klaynexas3

My shoes hurt
Dec 30, 2009
I always find it funny that in these threads, the people that are the most negative tend to the be the ones claiming how above they are to look down on what others might like even if they don't like it. Not just the overrated threads, but just any thread that enjoys taking the piss out of something, not necessarily someone. It's like getting mad at a reviewer or internet personality in general for not liking a game you like. Just wanting to express you not liking something or thinking something might be a little over hyped by game companies or fans isn't inherently negative, it's not a knock on the people that enjoy it, it's just a knock on the item itself. If you find that a personal affront to you, it's not, and there's very little given to indicate that it is a personal attack to you. Maybe overrated comes off as a bit of an attack on the fans, saying that they're liked more than they should be, but even so when people use different terms a group will still come in and talk about how they refuse to contribute to the discussion because they are above it.

I suppose I should get pissed off at Jim Sterling because he talks such shit about Konami but I happen to enjoy my Pachinko machines.

OT: Quantum Break, but this is mostly because I find most third person shooters to be relatively samey and boring, at least the most recent ones I've played. There are plenty that I think can be fun and interesting, but even with slow-mo mechanics, I have a hard time imagining the game being heavily different than past TPS games.

Uncharted 4, pretty much for the above reason. I never made it far into the first one, but it just felt like a generic shooter that might have an above average story that just failed to grasp me. Maybe I need to play it more to get it, because I do love all of Naughty Dogs other work outside of Uncharted, and even thoroughly enjoyed The Last of Us, but just found Uncharted to lack much to make it actually gripping in any sort of term.

I will be the oddball and say I think FFXV will be underrated, simply because everyone seems to have such low expectations of it at this point that even if it is extremely tight, well done, with great writing, characters, story, an interesting world to explore and a deep combat system that people will still say it's absolute shit and should have been better with all the time we've been waiting for it.

A slightly bit off topic, do you people who think these threads are simply here to be negative know why I like these threads? I like for someone to show me why something is actually as good as others think it is. I'd think it would be amazing if someone could show me "well actually you're wrong about the Uncharted series because..." and then maybe I could enjoy them too. I want to be corrected, because the more games I can enjoy, the better for me. Does it always work? No, but sometimes it can, and even if those times are in the minority, I'd rather keep trying for those times than simply say nothing and remain in the dark of something that I might actually enjoy if I were to look at it with a different mindset or just play a bit longer. If you don't want to contribute saying what games you think are overly played, that's fine, but don't act like I'm the one being negative because I want someone to prove me wrong.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
The award goes to [AAA game I don't like]. It's possible that [indie game I don't like but became amazingly popular through some sort of groundswell or even luck] could end up being a dark horse, but I'm more inclined to believe [AAA game I don't like] will take the top spot.

But, I mean, really, any AAA release or indie darling is fair game to be "most overrated," because it comes down to "game I didn't like as much as others did." Be they critics, consumers, or lizard people.

Saetha

Jan 19, 2014
WinterWyvern said:
Deus Ex. I have no doubts....
*Sigh* Here we go again. If you're so certain it's going to fail, perhaps you could expand upon why?

Fox12

AccursedT- see you space cowboy
Jun 6, 2013
B-Cell said:
Casual Shinji said:
So instead of getting on people's case for liking what they like, we're predicting getting on their case for liking what they like? Looks like the whining has evoled.
My friend, here we are just predicting that what will be most overrated games. as there will be many to come
Ugh.

The one you like. You know the one. It's bad. I hate that game. The one I like, on the other hand, is a masterpiece. If you don't like it then you clearly have no taste : P