Preview: Civilization V

rsvp42

Jan 15, 2010
Funny how the UN means world peace in the game, but not in real life. Also, I kind of wish they had designed monuments and landmarks that matched the nation. It just seems weird to me that the mighty Iroquois nation would build THE statue of liberty or THE Eiffel Tower. Or Stonehenge. Shouldn't they have their own unique structures and design?

mptothedc

Jul 23, 2009
I haven't played a Civilzation since part 3... and that was like 7 years ago or such... maybe I'll play this

ArmorArmadillo

Mar 31, 2010
rsvp42 said:
Funny how the UN means world peace in the game, but not in real life. Also, I kind of wish they had designed monuments and landmarks that matched the nation. It just seems weird to me that the mighty Iroquois nation would build THE statue of liberty or THE Eiffel Tower. Or Stonehenge. Shouldn't they have their own unique structures and design?
That would be cool if they could actually come up with something believable for each, although it wouldn't have the same impact if the Celts had Stonehenge and the Iriquois only had a generic stone pile...and considering that each game is unique, coming up with a universal reason for each would seem near impossible. I mean, The Statue of Liberty was a gift from the French built for a specific event, how do you have an Iriquois version when you can build it at various times for no in-game reason?

An alternate system which could be cool is if you didn't build specific wonders, but instead you could focus resources to "Monuments", and it would lead to generating a monument unique to your culture and era (Egyptians build Pyramids, Celts build Stonehenge etc) and get a random benefit to represent the unpredictable nature of monument building.

Towels

Feb 21, 2010
I like how the leaders have unique palace backgrounds. I hope they pick some contraversial historical figures. Come on, Hitler...

rsvp42

Jan 15, 2010
ArmorArmadillo said:
rsvp42 said:
That would be cool if they could actually come up with something believable for each, although it wouldn't have the same impact if the Celts had Stonehenge and the Iriquois only had a generic stone pile...and considering that each game is unique, coming up with a universal reason for each would seem near impossible. I mean, The Statue of Liberty was a gift from the French built for a specific event, how do you have an Iriquois version when you can build it at various times for no in-game reason?

An alternate system which could be cool is if you didn't build specific wonders, but instead you could focus resources to "Monuments", and it would lead to generating a monument unique to your culture and era (Egyptians build Pyramids, Celts build Stonehenge etc) and get a random benefit to represent the unpredictable nature of monument building.
Yeah something like that would be nice. What I love about this game's idea is that it allows you to take a particular culture in history and direct its course in ways that have never been seen (because the culture died out, was conquered, etc). I absolutely love the idea of a Native American tribe ending up as a world power, having an industrial revolution and all that. It's a cool idea. I saw a screenshot from a game like this where ancient Egypt had survived with all its architecture and design sensibility into like, the future or something. Maybe it was a Civilization game? Either way, that idea is more appealing to me. Egyptians should have cool statues, pyramids, and obelisks. Native American tribes could have epic totem poles or some big altar to a wind spirit.

But then again, art and design are a big thing for me. I'm sure the gameplay itself will be fun and engaging.

Vrach

Jun 17, 2010
I too, talk in a pretentious accent while playing Civilization, young Hiawatha!

Also, diplomatic victory is for pussies. Real men win by full world conquest!

Flankhard

Mar 28, 2010
That preview was seriously the last straw. It's official, I can not wait for this game any longer.
I'm going to put myself in the freezer - could somebody please come by and thaw me back to life in 11 days?

Lord Nosferatu

The Prophet of Thrace
Nov 11, 2009
Here come the sleepless nights of play... I must say, I loved the idea of natural wonders. And I hope the buildable wonders are even more than before, because we humans have sure built a lot of awesome stuff. I do miss the city view screen from Civ III. Zooming in in Civ IV wasn't quite the same. I hope they put something like it. I also like how conversation with the other leaders takes a full screen. Now that's more like an audience than a teleconference. I wonder if they'll change depending of current era. The social policies screen also looked quite promissing.
Hm. I always thought in English the janissaries are pronounced with "ya" in the beginning. And I was fairly confident I knew it, since they play a big and sad role in my country's history (it's "enichary" here). Well, there's always something new to learn.

HentMas

The Loneliest Jedi
Apr 17, 2009
ok... now i know that i´m going to LOVE this game

and you should write a book, i actually enjoyed reading your endeavors... good thing i pre ordered it like 2 months ago

too bad a good 2 weeks are left to play

Fusionxl

Oct 25, 2009
aldowyn said:
Best. Preview. EVER!
Seriously, you should role-play more previews like this, because that was awesome!
Amen to that.

I've played the original Civilization and the third one, but now I feel compelled to give the series another try :)

bjj hero

Feb 4, 2009
I love this game. I have lost so much of my life to Civ. It's a damn shame that there is no way my laptop will run it...

C95J

I plan to live forever.
Apr 10, 2010
Korten12 said:
Irridium said:
laryri said:
Chunko said:
I can't wait to play this game, I hope it's better than the console version of civ 4 though.
What? The PC version will be better than the console version of Civ 4 if that's what you're saying. There probably isn't going to be a console version of Civ 5.
There was no console version of Civ 4. There was Civilization Revolutions, a Civ game built specifically for consoles, but thats it.

OT: I want this game so badly. Like, seriously, very, very badly.
I remember my friends saying Civ Rev wasn't that bad.
yeah civrev was really good. Anyway, there can't be that much different between the PC and Console versions beside different controls, or is there something I am missing

Doug

Apr 23, 2008
Vrach said:
I too, talk in a pretentious accent while playing Civilization, young Hiawatha!

Also, diplomatic victory is for pussies. Real men win by full world conquest!
Real men develop hype-advanced technology and conquer space instead!

EdgeW

Sep 12, 2010
Me and my brother were so excited we made a "civ addict testimonial" video for a contest:

Link removed. Mod.

Please vote for it!! You'll like our civ-hop!