Preview: Minecraft

Jamboxdotcom

Nov 3, 2010
definitely an amazing game with tons of potential. i just hope he adds tooltips for the final version...

SaturdayS

Nov 8, 2010
I jumped on a couple months ago... still looking for time to really play it. Luckily the community is awesome and keeps reminding me to come back.

General Lee

Feb 20, 2010
Woo! But i hate to admit that i get bored every once in a while, then the next day i find something new to do.

Explorator Vimes

Jun 7, 2010
I'm so very much on the fence about this. I do love me some Lego building, but I dunno, it just doesn't seem like it'd be more than a diversion rather than a real game. I know that it's because it is in beta still, but something tells me it isn't planning on getting much more complex because that would dilute the point of it all. I've read the articles posted, and looked at the pretty and awe inspiring things people have built, and I know I lack both the talent and drive to do any of that stuff. I mean, I'm the kid who builds what's on the box of Legos using the instructions and then leaves it together, I've never really been the inventive type I suppose. Guess I can just continue to observe from a far and hope that Notch and his new company continue to be successful in what they do.

Badwolf14

Aug 6, 2010
it seems like a pass time more than anything to me....i played it (i dont know if i was playing a demo version because i could only build with certain blocks....didn't have the freedom that showed in the video) and got hooked in it pretty quickly (i started to build a castle >.>)....but i havent gone back to it be because i didn't have time to but also because i am not that motivated to go to it....now im not saying it is a bad game...i think its a great idea which gives plenty of freedom but doesn't seem like it's that engaging of a game to have somebody come back to it often

Chamzaboogie

Mar 29, 2010
I also watched davidr64yt's series on Youtube but I did not try the game yet, I probably never will.

Nice preview, thanks!

Fasckira

Dice Tart
Oct 22, 2009
Things get a lot more complicated once you start using redstone stuff to make electricity - I spent a good chunk of a Sunday once wiring up my castle doors to open up on various switches around the grounds.

It does lose its appeal in singleplayer after awhile though but if you find a good multiplayer server it becomes awesome - I highly recommend it.

OctalLord

May 20, 2010
archvile93 said:
How does the combat work in Minecraft exactly?

The monsters come out(usually at night.) and you right click to attack. You can build swords out of various materials(The better the grade the better damage the sword outputs. So Rock>Wood) you can also build bows. That's about it.

You can also build armor of various kinds to reduce how much damage you take. Those also take the same form of Rock>Wood.)

There's also(Also!) some people who've made traps that usually explode either killing the monsters outright or dropping them into a hole they can't get out of. But those are a little more complicated.

There's no Light>Dark or Ice>Fire type additives to the combat. It's really just that simple.

CaptainCrunch

Imp-imation Department
Jul 21, 2008
archvile93 said:
How does the combat work in Minecraft exactly?
Click + hold, then point at things until they die.
(Note: all the fights in the video were on Hard difficulty.)

Deofuta

Nov 10, 2009
Such a great game!

Might I shamelessly plug in our very own Minecraft Usergroup? [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/groups/view/EscapeCraft]

Also, we have a server! www.escapecraft.com

See you there!

Jim Grim said:
I've tried minecraft classic, does that mean the full game will run fine on my PC?
I would say yes. There is a very small chance it may change in the long run, but it should work exactly as Classic did.

Mr.Amakir

Jun 2, 2010
I need to stop being lazy and buy this game. I used o play this allot when it was free.

Wolcik

Jul 18, 2009
This looks like the best way to creativly waste time on irrelevant online "game". I rahter play a game with clear purpouse - and no online game ever had a good one.

Wolf Hagen

Jul 28, 2010
Id say that this is the Perfect game for Creative Maniacs and simple game players.

The hing is: you also can put the difficulty to a point where no Monsters spawn, sounds boring, but the world of Minecraft (the one generated) will still give you enought threads to handle like damn deep cavers where you can get quite easily lost like in a natural grown labyrith or build Structures that make other players go Bwuah? o_O.

I like this game, somehow love it to have a Huge game world that gives me honestly EVERY F-ING Possibility and tells me: GO NUTS! Build Stuff or Burn down an Entire forest.
Heck! On one of my Levels I started to build up a small City close to my castle and ship (actually not working, you still get boats though, but it looks cool. :D ) or whatever you like.

As for a Sandbox game, if you wanna call it that way, it gives you yet the most freedom of all games yet seen I think.

@Badwolf14: Seemes like you played the fully Creativity mode where you dont have to harvest your stuff and cant die and such, thats for... just running wild in the Big Scale.

Megacherv

Kinect Development Sucks...
Sep 24, 2008
The greatest thing about this game really is the multiplayer (as bugged as it is). Getting a bunch of friends on a server, all going on a Mumble/Teamspeak/Ventrilo/etc. server and building stuff together is such fun. Our clan has a server and we all have the ability to spawn things, but we're currently doing a joint project to re-create 2fort better than anyone else on YouTube has (based more on materials than the colours, and actually measuring the dimensions in game so it all fits perfectly.

Oscar Bjorklund said:
This game is awesome, although I've only played the Alpha so far. It's great for killing some time.
Alpha is still the most recent version, just so you know.