Eclipse Dragon

Lusty Argonian Maid
Legacy
Jan 23, 2009
Country
United States
MonsterCrit said:
Worgen said:
Wait... I just realized that disney bought starwars and what that means. Leia is now a disney princess, I'm surprised they didnt change her title in movie to disney princess Leia.
Sadly because she is no longer a princess she no longer qualifies as a disney princess. AS for General.. that worries me. Generals are usually always evil o turn evil...
Only the young ones can be princesses, Leia is too old, the title of "Disney Princess" has an exasperation expiration date. [footnote]I know this is probably NOT the reasoning for it, I just couldn't resist the implication.[/footnote]

Also Elsa is a queen (despite the insistence of Disney's marketing department at still referring to her as princess) and past Disney queens have been evil, but Elsa isn't, so I would hope they're trying to at least break some of the cliches.

Pallindromemordnillap said:
Also interesting that she's still calling herself Organa and not Skywalker or Solo as she sometimes did in the EU. If we're talking feminism then its nice she gets to keep a name of her own and not take one of the guys' ones
Now this is strange to me, why more female married characters don't just hyphenate.

Leia Organa-Solo

NLS

Norwegian Llama Stylist
Jan 7, 2010
Brace yourselves for "Disney Princesses Reimagined as Military Leaders"

OT: The whole "princess" side of her title always felt more like a diplomatic cover for her contributions to the Rebel Alliance. Makes sense that there's no reason to hide behind that cover now with the fall of the Empire and the destruction of Alderaan, ain't fooling anybody anymore with a "diplomatic mission from Alderaan" after the first time. Plus she's a kickass character that deserves the title she's earned.

Rack

Jan 18, 2008
EyeReaper said:
Since when does "Princess" or any other title of royalty not demand respect? And why can't princess be a badass title?
Since the majority of countries around the world abandoned Monarchy as a system of government. To get a royal title you need to perform the singular duty of being born. It's fundamental to the nature of the title that it conveys absolutely no respect at all.

Callate

Dec 5, 2008
I'm just going to say, "Um, that's cool, I guess."

Though a li'l part of me wonders if adoption of this title will stretch as far as the universe recognizing that generals don't personally take part in missions to, say, blow up shield generators on forest moons and end up getting shot in the shoulder. High-ranking office tending to involve this thing called delegation.

Probably not. I'm guessing we're going the Star Trek route where every dangerous mission must involve at least one officer whose death would scramble the chain of command.

JoJo

and the Amazing Technicolour Dream Goat šŸ
Legacy
Mar 31, 2010
Country
šŸ‡¬šŸ‡§
Pallindromemordnillap said:
I always thought it was a bit weird they kept calling her princess in the film. I mean, her mother the Queen was dead so shouldn't she have inherited the role and been Queen Leia Organa? And if she wasn't the Queen because there was no Alderaan anymore then how does she still call herself Princess?

Also interesting that she's still calling herself Organa and not Skywalker or Solo as she sometimes did in the EU. If we're talking feminism then its nice she gets to keep a name of her own and not take one of the guys' ones
To add to the pedantry already in this thread, I'd note that on Earth at-least it's traditional courtesy for deposed royalty to continue to be referred to as their highest royal title for the rest of their life. A possible explanation for this case then, we could speculate that Leia didn't claim the title of Queen because there's no state left to be monarch of, but she could continue to be known as her former title of Princess as a courtesy.

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
So...we aren't going to get Knight Organa/Solo? I was kind of hoping the movie would at least allow her to become a Jedi like the books did. Man, as excited as I am about this movie, it's going to be really hard for me to separate the Expand Universe from the films now.

Still, General Leia Organa does sound pretty cool. I can approve of this. And who knows? Maybe she carries a lightsaber too.

Areloch

It's that one guy
Dec 10, 2012
Sniper Team 4 said:
So...we aren't going to get Knight Organa/Solo? I was kind of hoping the movie would at least allow her to become a Jedi like the books did. Man, as excited as I am about this movie, it's going to be really hard for me to separate the Expand Universe from the films now.

Still, General Leia Organa does sound pretty cool. I can approve of this. And who knows? Maybe she carries a lightsaber too.
Jedi General Leia Organa?

That sounds pretty cool.

VaporWare

Aug 1, 2013
Fanghawk said:
albino boo said:
Welcome to pedants corner. This is where, I the pedant, point out that military titles do not supersede royal titles. The correct title is General the Princess Leia. As in Admiral the Lord Nelson or Field Marshall the Duke of Wellington.
Except in the Star Wars universe, some royal titles are treated as political terms. Which is why PadmƩ went from Queen Amidala in Episode I to Senator Amidala in Episode II.
It's possibly also worth noting that her title of Princess may well be, in light of the destruction of Alderaan as well as the reveals concerning her actual parentage, essentially obsolete/something she no longer wishes to be addressed as.

COMaestro

Vae Victis!
May 24, 2010
Space Jawa said:
The General part I'm not concerned about.

What does, worry me, however, is what specifically they plan to do with her decision to correct someone who doesn't refer to her by her new title.

Or, for that matter, why they didn't think they could just get away with calling her "Generial Organa" (does this mean she never married Han in this continuity?) and skip the part where they feel a need to correct anyone who even accidentally calls her Princess Leia.

Because if they do wind up feeling a need to turn it into a message the feels like an attack against anyone who calls her "Princess Leia" anymore, I may feel inclined to keep calling her Princess Leia specifically as a dig at the people who felt addressing the issue specifically was a thing that needed to happen.
Let's face it: the person who is going to call her "Princess" will be Han. The way he used it in the original trilogy was always as an insult, "Princess" or "Your Highnessness" or "Your Worshipfulness", so if he were to do so again, she'd be entirely in the right to slap him down.

cdjones2112

Mar 8, 2012
Oh, god there are so many ways to say Leia's name now.
She's both general and princess (maybe Queen) and Skywalker, Organa, and (possibly) Solo
Can we all agree to call her by her full name and title

General the Princess Leia Organa-Skywalker-Solo, Queen of the Alderaan asteroid belt... First of her name

Wait Padme never changed her name from Amidala, I think I can fit it in somewhere...

OT: I like the new title, she's probably one of the eldest member of the rebellion left alive and been apart of it since she was a young girl, if force unleashed is still canon. It's a good fit for her

Ukomba

Oct 14, 2010
The Leia I know is Leia Organa Solo, General, Mother, Chief of State of the New Republic, and Jedi. She was easily one of the biggest bad asses of the EU (All time Biggest being her Daughter). It's kind of cute that Disney is trying to emulate that.

Ukomba

Oct 14, 2010
Maphysto said:
RealRT said:
Hooray for faux-feminism, I guess.
>Movie director makes a perfectly reasonable change to a character's title to reflect how she's changed over the last thirty-odd years

>Internet gets mad about feminism

Sounds about right.
>Movie director makes a perfectly reasonable change to a character's title to reflect how she's changed over the last thirty-odd years, but is a downgrade from her position in the destroyed canon.

>Directory promotes the change heavily to show how progressive the movie is

>Media sources swallow the hook and bash the Princess title, even though she was 'Princess' Leia was a kick ass female Icon.

>Internet gets mad about feminism

Sounds about right.

Oh, forgot where hipsters misinterpret what the anger is really about. Be sure to throw that in at the end there.

Seriously, it's not like it's the first time either. There was the whole 'first female villain' lie a couple weeks ago too. No one would care if the marketing wasn't making it clear that it's being done for advertising purposes.

KyuubiNoKitsune-Hime

Lolita Style, The Best Style!
Jan 12, 2010
I know what's going on here! Disney Exec 1: "Isn't Leia a Princess?" Disney Exec 2: "Yeah but how can we sell Carrie Fisher as a Disney Princess to little girls who are better at getting their parents to spend money on them?" Disney Exec 1: "We can't! It's Carrie Fisher for god's sake!" Disney Exec 3: "Strip the title!" All Disney Execs in unison: "Strip the title!" JJ Abarams: "I feel a disturbance in the force." Carrie Fisher: "I suddenly feel less important."

Darks63

Mar 8, 2010
Well it was kinda moot to call her princess after Ep 4 since the planet she was princess on was destroyed.

Also shouldn't she be a Jedi herself at this point? Vader implied that she might be force trainable at the end of Ep 6 unless that was just a pure taunt to bring out Luke's anger.

Dark Knifer

May 12, 2009
Well since her planet exploded I thought her monarch name was a bit pointless since it was to a throne that doesn't exist any more so I don't really see the title princess making much sense this far on. Also unrelated.
Eclipse Dragon said:
past Disney queens have been evil, but Elsa isn't,.
Uhh, did we watch the same movie?

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
Ukomba said:
So what? Someone can't ever make an announcement about a character being refereed to by a different title without it being to show how progressive the movie is? It seems more like look at Leia's new character considering that now she's under a lot of pressure and has a lot of people depending on her. The change is about how she's being pushed into new responsibilites, I don't know where you're getting the implication that people are saying that now she's more feminist because she's not a princess.

If "First female villain" is purely marketing how progressive the movie is...well it's a pretty pathetic attempt considering how weak sauce it is to say "After decades we FINALLY got a female villain!" I looked up this "first female villain" thing and it's more about Gwendoline Christie talking about how proud she is to be the first female Star Wars villain. If people talking about how new possibilities makes them excited is just marketing how progressive the movie is, then MORE PLEASE!

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
EyeReaper said:
Since when does "Princess" or any other title of royalty not demand respect? And why can't princess be a badass title?

I'm just saying, I generally would rather be a princess than a general, especially in a fictional work. Then again, I guess as someone who isn't going to watch this movie, my opinion on Princess Politics doesn't matter.
Who's saying it isn't? This change is about her being in a new position, and from the sound of it not even a position she particularly likes being in.

Vausch

Dec 7, 2009
Dragonlayer said:
She won't be wearing the traditional Alderaan gold bikini either: complete break with the past, this film!

A more serious point: does Leia have any military experience to justify such a high rank, or is it simply a replacement title?
This takes place decades later and she has shown she's quite adept with a gun, has experience in spy work, can handle torture, can kill with improvised weaponry, can befriend aliens that consider people like her a delicacy, and she led the rebels on Endor. I think it's justified she earned the title after all this time.

47_Ronin

Jul 30, 2012
They should call her General Skywalker, because bad-ass.
Also, I am very sad for all the people calling 'feminism'.