Pro Gamer Suspended For Saying He Had Sex With a 14-Year-Old

JamesCG

May 3, 2008
At no point does STEPHANO confirm what Bling (The other person involved in the convo) said about having sex with a 14 year old. He said he 'abused' a 14 year old, which depending on the context could mean he destroyed them on ladder or something. That was my stance pretty much before, and still is. It's hilarious, and I guess EG was right in suspending him, but some people completely overreact when they don't have complete info. Bling was the one who mentioned that Stephano 'fucked a 14 year old', and while he doesn't deny it, he certainly doesn't confirm it.

Anyway, it's not even that big of a deal. It was just a bunch of words, and this headline is absolutely pathetic. It's sad, really. At least it'll eventually die down.

^ANd since I'm horribly tired, I'm willing to bet that everything I just said sounds stupid as all hell.

Terrible Opinions

Sep 11, 2011
JamesCG said:
At no point does STEPHANO confirm what Bling (The other person involved in the convo) said about having sex with a 14 year old. He said he 'abused' a 14 year old, which depending on the context could mean he destroyed them on ladder or something. That was my stance pretty much before, and still is. It's hilarious, and I guess EG was right in suspending him, but some people completely overreact when they don't have complete info. Bling was the one who mentioned that Stephano 'fucked a 14 year old', and while he doesn't deny it, he certainly doesn't confirm it.
matthew_lane said:
Same thing seems to have happened here: This guy is apologising for potentially being able to make a statement about molesting a child, a statement he didn't actually make.
Since I'm all about fairness up in this ************, I should point out that the article only has some of what Stephano said. He continues to say: "I might only be interested in milfs and kids now".

So. The more you know.

Now I make my exit.

deth2munkies

Jan 28, 2009
It's not even a sex scandal, it's a particularly bad inside joke that showed up on a stream. People in e-sports (especially from reputable teams) can and will be banned from the sport for saying inappropriate things, and people will go to great lengths to dig up evidence.

Example: one of EG's casters (Orb) supposedly made racist comments in a ladder game. He said it wasn't him playing the account at the time, but a team of "investigators" went through every ladder game for the past 8 months played on that account and found more incidents, leading to him getting fired.

I'm not saying this was a "good" thing to say, but I will say that e-sports REALLY, REALLY polices their content online because that's all they have, and sometimes it can get a bit ridiculous.

JamesCG

May 3, 2008
The Crotch said:
JamesCG said:
matthew_lane said:
Same thing seems to have happened here: This guy is apologising for potentially being able to make a statement about molesting a child, a statement he didn't actually make.
Since I'm all about fairness up in this ************, I should point out that the article only has some of what Stephano said. He continues to say: "I might only be interested in milfs and kids now".

So. The more you know.

Now I make my exit.
I actually remember seeing that image, but my intense fanboying blinded my memory.

Actually I don't even like Stephano that much. Go HuK B)

Nah but really, I do still think it was a joke. A horrible joke, but a joke. That second screenshot though... Bling's face was probably the most hilarious thing ever.

Dyan

Nov 27, 2009
Just another example of why you shouldn't act like an idiot.

Off-Topic: 14 is actually legal here in Estonia

Terrible Opinions

Sep 11, 2011
Shanicus said:
Kopikatsu said:
Well, this clinches it. Sexual scandals? Esports can now join the big leagues of Baseball, Basketball, Hockey and the like.
Wait, when did we have a performance-enhancing drug scandal in gaming?

...on that note, what would be a performance-enhancing drug for gaming? Steroids and growth hormones would be kinda useless, and pot just seems to mellow people out, not make them play any better. Red Bull, maybe?
Eh, it's something people talk about from time to time, actually. Mostly just hypothetical stuff. I'd try and dredge up the ITG video about it, but...

... that video sucked, come to think of it. Mostly just Painuser talking a bunch, and... sorry man, but I mostly watch that show for Goatlust.

JamesCG said:
I actually remember seeing that image, but my intense fanboying blinded my memory.

Nah but really, I do still think it was a joke. A horrible joke, but a joke. That second screenshot though... Bling's face was probably the most hilarious thing ever.
Yeah, I can't see it being anything but a dumb joke.

But Bling's face the most hilarious thing ever? No. That would be Demuslim and Idra's faces when one bunker rushes the other.

JamesCG

May 3, 2008
The Crotch said:
Shanicus said:
Kopikatsu said:
Well, this clinches it. Sexual scandals? Esports can now join the big leagues of Baseball, Basketball, Hockey and the like.
Wait, when did we have a performance-enhancing drug scandal in gaming?

...on that note, what would be a performance-enhancing drug for gaming? Steroids and growth hormones would be kinda useless, and pot just seems to mellow people out, not make them play any better. Red Bull, maybe?
Eh, it's something people talk about from time to time, actually. Mostly just hypothetical stuff. I'd try and dredge up the ITG video about it, but...

... that video sucked, come to think of it. Mostly just Painuser talking a bunch, and... sorry man, but I mostly watch that show for Goatlust.

JamesCG said:

Yeah, I can't see it being anything but a dumb joke.

But Bling's face the most hilarious thing ever? No. That would be Demuslim and Idra's faces when one bunker rushes the other.

Saw that on Reddit, went to their stream archives and synced them up for that...

I'm going to retire from this thread before I get even more off topic :x

snekadid

Lord of the Salt
Mar 29, 2012
BrotherRool said:
This guy makes a career out of this stuff
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e6g3RmfTD4s
Loved that vid, made me laugh the whole way through.

Quite frankly, I have said far worse things over a game chat than that simply for the shock value. I remember back when i used to play WoW, me and a friend made a bet to see who could whisper people in the raid and say something so horrible that the shock would cause the person to wipe the raid.

He told a dead baby joke which made the main healer laugh for awhile and one person died, I said something to the main tank so vile I can't post it here< there is no profanity in it, but it is the epitome of twisted> which resulted in "Oh my fucking god whaAHHG------" over the voice chat and we all died as the tank dced. His wife told us that he freaked out so bad his chair flew out from under him and as his legs kicked up he unplugged his PC.

Honestly, I don't really see how saying that over a chat is bad. Its along the same line as dead baby jokes or anything else really and its just something that goes along with online gaming. While its unfortunate that it went over a live feed, its more the problem of people that can't take a joke and the outside public forcing its values onto it is wrong.

Captcha: unlimited wishes, All of them are for a diamond pony.

Skeleon

Nov 2, 2007
If that was just a joke, then it was an incredibly dumb one to make, especially in a live session.
If that was serious, then it was an incredibly dumb admission to make in addition to being a perv.

Terrible Opinions

Sep 11, 2011
Skeleon said:
If that was just a joke, then it was an incredibly dumb one to make, especially in a live session.
If that was serious, then it was an incredibly dumb admission to make in addition to being a perv.
Also not in the screenshot in the article: Stephano saying something along the lines of, "Oh fuck, are you streaming right now?"

Soak

Sep 21, 2010
Ok, read all posts in here until now, plus the official statement from EGs site (which is pretty much up to date included in the article). I will try to include most, but won't realy quote much.
The headline is in fact and nothing more, nothing less, very correct. He got suspended, for what he said!
That's one thing. And i have to say, i think, this by itself is already rather reasonable. Sure, i make rude jokes myself, just a few days ago i made a discriminating and racist joke in one sentence, stating to a friend of mine, that last year he was the quota handicapped and this year we got the quota black female assigned to our institute. But, first, it was clearly intended as a joke, second, that's my free time and (except from taking it to this forum now) absolute private. And still, if the target of my joke would've been offended by that, it would have been my (private) responsibility to apologize. Taking a comedian as an argument of defense in this matter is completely missing the point, considering that it is part of a comedian's job to target delicate topics and criticise them in a homorous way. This is not the job of a pro-gamer, neither of most other professions and those who aren't expected to tackle topics like this, are likely to get bad feedback for doing so and the worse it's done, the worse the feedback is gonna be. Maybe this is a problem of our siciety, tabooing certain topics for most occasions and it certainly is something often discussed, maybe it'll change in the future for "the better", but the current "ruleset of society" has some taboos. "Stephano" broke a taboo in most unfortunate circumstances and that he is to take responsibility is just righteous and in my personal opinion, what his management did, was a rather smart move (fast damage control, further investigation and hopefully clearification, and still having the opportunity to set things right in the aftermath).

Now to get at what he said and what he may have ment. Maybe he just made a (realy bad) joke and most of the community is "overreacting" right now, but
Grey Carter said:
Despite a public apology from Satouri, Evil Geniuses says that while the decision to suspend him is final, the team doesn't consider the matter closed just yet.
This includes, that they are reviewing the incident and what it may have actually ment. At best, he just made a verbal mistake and will be back next month. At worst, he basically made a confession to an actual and rather heavy crime. That children up to a certain age are in general protected by law has very good reasons. If an adult, what "Stephano" is by law, sexually approaches, or even abuses underaged children, let the border be 15 in france (don't know about that for certain, 15 is "already" rather young in modern western countries), this is in fact a crime and for good reasons for sure, because it is to protect those who are "innocent" and defenseless by themselfs. If a child is abused, you'll never hear an official complaint by the offended, because they're simply not able to. If i make a racist joke, the chance is rather high the offended are able to and will complain about that. Dead baby-jokes are very borderline, but as long as they're clearly jokes, have it your way. We'll possibly see the outcome of this matter in the near future.

Another point is, what it actually means to the community. Point made in the article is, that currently the gaming community is still growing, not only in numbers, but also in representation, including major events and public figures. In addition, within this representation, the quantity of "scandals" increases. They were already present before for sure, are in other communities as well, maybe the percentage hasn't even increased, but in quantity, the community is getting more and more bad representation (look at the other arguments, unsporstmanship in League of Legends, harassement in Street Fighter X Tekken). Now, in this matter the question is, how we, as a community, react to stuff like that?! Are we letting it slip and slip again, basicaly slowly destroying what we worked so hard for in the last years, or do we take action and further work to achieve our goals, to build a better and respected community and make "games" accepted by the majority of society? I, personally, will always stand for and defend better sporstmanship, proper representation and treatment of "gaming", because it is something i like very much, an important part of my life, which i don't want to be condemned for, but i want to share it with society and make it the best it can be.