Project Eternity Breaks $3 million

Jason Rayes

Sep 5, 2012
Sweet, that's a new big city then. They have done well, they were quite a bit off 3.5mil when they hit the 48 hour mark. I'd have put more money in if I could have afforded it, I'd really have liked a boxed version. Damn, now I need to be patient until 2014. Gah *explodes*

DustyDrB

Made of ticky tacky
Jan 19, 2010
Also, this is now the highest-funded Kickstarter game (passing the Double Fine Adventure). It's pretty fantastic that the two highest-funded ones are (1) an old-school style RPG and (2) a point-and-click adventure game.

GoaThief

Reinventing the Spiel
Feb 2, 2012
Anthraxus said:
but your other comments are laughable.
Wasteland 2, Shadowrun Returns, Diablo 3, XCom, Torchlight 2, Bastion, Path of Exile, Grim Dawn, Dungeon Seige 3, Underrail... those from the top of my head I'm sure there's more out there.

Yeah, those isometric titles are really rare and totally unfashionable.

DustyDrB

Made of ticky tacky
Jan 19, 2010
GoaThief said:
Anthraxus said:
but your other comments are laughable.
Wasteland 2, Shadowrun Returns, Diablo 3, XCom, Torchlight 2, Bastion, Path of Exile, Grim Dawn, Dungeon Seige 3, Underrail... those from the top of my head I'm sure there's more out there.

Yeah, those isometric titles are really rare and totally unfashionable.
Only Wasteland 2 and Shadowrun Returns (which is still really different) really fit in the same niche as what Project Eternity will be. Torchlight 2, Diablo 3, Path of Exile, Grim Dawn 3, and Dungeon Siege 3 are all ARPGs, which have a much different focus and style of gameplay. I never thought of Bastion as an RPG at all. XCOM is TBS. I don't know Underrail.

Aside from Spiderweb Software (who make the Avernum series, which are all kind of poor in my opinion), there really aren't games of this type coming out. Kickstarter is changing that.

GoaThief

Reinventing the Spiel
Feb 2, 2012
DustyDrB said:
I don't believe I labelled all of those games isometric RPGs, if you'd like to point out where I did that would be nice.

However, they are all isometric games and share more than a few similar traits. As far as the gaming spectrum on the whole goes they're certainly all in the same ballpark.

GiantRaven

Dec 5, 2010
GoaThief said:
Wasteland 2, Shadowrun Returns
Other than these two and Project Eternity, the only other Isometric RPG I can think of that's around right now is that 'Old-School RPG' kickstarter that's floating around. That doesn't really count though because it doesn't look like it's going to get funded.

So yeah. Three games in the next few years. Big whoop.

GoaThief said:
I don't believe I labelled all of those games isometric RPGs, if you'd like to point out where I did that would be nice.
Even if you didn't mean solely RPGs, 10 games (of differing genres/styles no less) aren't really enough to be considered a trend right now.

kahyonhowanen

Oct 14, 2012
GoaThief said:
DustyDrB said:

However, they are all isometric games and share more than a few similar traits. As far as the gaming spectrum on the whole goes they're certainly all in the same ballpark.
They guy who originally quoted you said "huge isometric CRPGs from some of the best RPG minds in the business are so "dime a dozen" and non ambitious.". You responded with your list of Isometric games. You did not specify that you were simply labeling isometric games rather than listing isometric CRPGs as it would seem from the comment that you responded to.

GoaThief

Reinventing the Spiel
Feb 2, 2012
kahyonhowanen said:
[You did not specify that you were simply labeling isometric games rather than listing isometric CRPGs as it would seem from the comment that you responded to.
Who was responding to my comment regarding isometric games, my stance or terms have not changed throughout this thread - everyone with feathers ruffled should take stock of their reading comprehension.

Again, I already specified that I was talking about isometric games in my previous post before being (mis)quoted.

DustyDrB

Made of ticky tacky
Jan 19, 2010
kahyonhowanen said:
GoaThief said:
DustyDrB said:

They guy who originally quoted you said "huge isometric CRPGs from some of the best RPG minds in the business are so "dime a dozen" and non ambitious.". You responded with your list of Isometric games. You did not specify that you were simply labeling isometric games rather than listing isometric CRPGs as it would seem from the comment that you responded to.
That.

Also, visual style alone isn't enough to lump all those games together as being too similar. I love Torchlight II to death, but I don't go to it when I'm thinking I need an RPG fix. It's vastly different than what you get with games like Baldur's Gate.

Terrible Opinions

Sep 11, 2011
GoaThief said:
kahyonhowanen said:
[You did not specify that you were simply labeling isometric games rather than listing isometric CRPGs as it would seem from the comment that you responded to.
Who was responding to my comment regarding isometric games, my stance or terms have not changed throughout this thread - everyone with feathers ruffled should take stock of their reading comprehension.

Again, I already specified that I was talking about isometric games in my previous post before being quoted.
So do you want a list of all the games from the first or third person perspective?

psyduck.png

GoaThief

Reinventing the Spiel
Feb 2, 2012
DustyDrB said:
See above.

The rest is just arguing schematics and opinion, really... which I don't do in relation to RPG fans as they're a particular bunch. The evidence for that here speaks for itself, and we've barely started.

You're perfectly entitled to your opinion, as am I, which I gave. Funny how a little thing like a genre niche causes so much virtual rage.

DustyDrB

Made of ticky tacky
Jan 19, 2010
GoaThief said:
DustyDrB said:
See above.

The rest is just arguing schematics and opinion, really... which I don't do in relation to RPG fans as they're a particular bunch. The evidence for that here speaks for itself, and we've barely started.

You're perfectly entitled to your opinion, as am I, which I gave. Funny how a little thing like a genre niche causes so much virtual rage.
Rage? Where? Just because we're on different sides of a discussion doesn't mean I'm angry at you. Maybe just...don't read my posts in an angry voice or something?

Anyway, games like Project Eternity are most certainly not dime-a-dozen. Not this day and age, anyway.

Terrible Opinions

Sep 11, 2011
When you said "3D", I'd assumed you'd meant "third-person, over-the-shoulder".

You complained about isometric being "dime a dozen" and proceeded to talk about how much you preferred first-person and/or 3D.

Do you understand how mindfuckingly self-countering that is?

DustyDrB

Made of ticky tacky
Jan 19, 2010
Aaaaanyway...It's now almost at 3.6 mil with seven hours to go. Bets on where it ends? I'm going with 3.75

kahyonhowanen

Oct 14, 2012
I'm going with 3.8 minimum. No idea how high it could go though, I mean who knows, maybe a bunch of rich celebrities will pledge tons of money in an attempt to look like they're "with the times" or something.