Project Eternity Breaks $3 million

DoPo

"You're not cleared for that."
Jan 30, 2012
OK, this was absolutely hilarious:

18:50 (GMT) the email for the the latest project update goes out, Obsidian announced a new reward tier - the Obsidian Loot Bag which includes an AMD processor and is $350. Available to limited amount of backers - only 30.

18:53-18:55 - I was making myself some tea - I just started the kettle, when my flatmate noticed it and told me. It took a minute or two before he saw it, read it and told me. We looked at the Kickstarter page for details on the processor, and saw it wasn't too bad.

19:01 - The water was ready. So I put the teabags in the teapot and poured the water in. My flatmate in the mean time saw that the Kickstarter page didn't actually list the $350 tier. So he refreshed.

19:02 - I walked the three paces back behind the screen and the page now showed the tier - only 10 of the 30 $350 tier pledges were left. We laughed and he refreshed again - 9 were left now.

19:03 - he kept refreshing the page for about half a minute but we didn't see any new pledges being made. We just talked about it and joked how Obsidian can now just start get all the random stuff they have in their office - pens, erasers, brooms, etc, and offer them as rewards for backing the project.

19:09 - the tea was ready and poured both of us a cup. My flatmate checked and saw that the $350 tier is sold out now.

Also, they seem to have $125K in PayPal right now. That's information from about 5 minutes ago.

Genocidicles

Sep 13, 2012
I'm starting to think they may have bitten off more than they can chew. I find it highly unlikely they'll have everything done by 2014.

Terrible Opinions

Sep 11, 2011
Genocidicles said:
I'm starting to think they may have bitten off more than they can chew. I find it highly unlikely they'll have everything done by 2014.
Part of me was hoping that they'd fall just shy of that second big-ass city.

At least their stretch goal beyond that is "make everything better". Not as dramatic as a stronghold, aye, but it's exactly what we need.

Terrible Opinions

Sep 11, 2011
Anthraxus said:
The Crotch said:
Genocidicles said:
Part of me was hoping that they'd fall just shy of that second big-ass city.

At least their stretch goal beyond that is "make everything better". Not as dramatic as a stronghold, aye, but it's exactly what we need.
Why, I'd rather wait longer and have a bigger/better game. There's other stuff to play in the meantime.
I... can't tell if you're agreeing with me or asking me why I said what I did.

Please clarify.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
ohnoitsabear said:
Some people said that there's no way they're going to break $3 million. But they were wrong.

Anyway, I am super happy for this. I backed this near the beginning, and I'm glad it's going so much above its original funding goal. That said, I don't think they'll make the $3.5 million mark (although I hope they do), but I do think they'll get a few hundred thousand more dollars by the time this is over with.
I just saw the thread today...

They did it. They cracked $3.5 million.

I'm dying of happy over here.

Terrible Opinions

Sep 11, 2011
I was sort-of hoping they would fall shy of it so that they would have more resources to throw at everything else.

Of course, they're shattering the shit out of 3.5...

EDIT: OH JESUS CHRIST there's this weird red pixel that shows up on the far left side of The Escapist sometimes I thought my monitor had a dead pixel holy shit you scared me Escapist...

GiantRaven

Dec 5, 2010
I'm severely tempted to remove my pledge now that I've learned Chris Avellone hasn't played Arcanum. [http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/obsidian/project-eternity/posts/329795]

Comic Sans

DOWN YOU GO!
Oct 15, 2008
Country
United States
The team is currently hanging out on livestream for the remainder of the countdown.

http://www.twitch.tv/obsidian

Terrible Opinions

Sep 11, 2011
theultimateend said:
SirBryghtside said:
At time of writing, there is ONE digital preorder ($20 bonus) left. Wow.
Darn then I was a day late!
It's not that there was one left, it's that someone who already had one increased/decreased their pledge. Happens from time to time.

theultimateend

Nov 1, 2007
The Crotch said:
theultimateend said:
SirBryghtside said:
At time of writing, there is ONE digital preorder ($20 bonus) left. Wow.
Darn then I was a day late!
It's not that there was one left, it's that someone who already had one increased/decreased their pledge. Happens from time to time.
Either way I snagged a 25 dollar copy. so I'm all good.

Not sure if I'm more excited for this, PA, or Sealark...

hard to say.

DustyDrB

Made of ticky tacky
Jan 19, 2010
GiantRaven said:
I'm severely tempted to remove my pledge now that I've learned Chris Avellone hasn't played Arcanum. [http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/obsidian/project-eternity/posts/329795]
They discussed that in the AMA [http://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/11iox8/we_are_chris_avellone_tim_cain_and_josh_sawyer/c6mt42a]. Was pretty funny.

So....4 million is starting to look likely. I am impressed. Great job, internet.

The Madman

Dec 7, 2007
Wish I had more money to spend so I could up it to the boxed copy. Ah well, given two years time maybe by the time its finally released I'll order a boxed copy alongside my online copy so I'll have something nice to put on my shelf.

hazabaza1

Want Skyrim. Want. Do want.
Nov 26, 2008
Holy fuck they just got like 500k since this morning.
Jesus shit the cash is rolling in.

EDIT: I KEEP ON REFRESHING THE PAGE AND THE MONEY KEEPS ON RISING
WHAT IS GOING ON

DoPo

"You're not cleared for that."
Jan 30, 2012
hazabaza1 said:
WHAT IS GOING ON
Ah, there is your problem - you don't need to refresh the page, it automatically updates the amount. :)

Also, they now have 4 million. Well done, Obsidian!

hazabaza1

Want Skyrim. Want. Do want.
Nov 26, 2008
DoPo said:
hazabaza1 said:
WHAT IS GOING ON
Ah, there is your problem - you don't need to refresh the page, it automatically updates the amount. :)

Also, they now have 4 million. Well done, Obsidian!
Christ this is mental.
I went downstairs to make some porridge. When I came back up they made another 7 grand.