Prolific "video games make you bad" researcher exposed as planning to refuse to publish his work if it doesn't show video game make you bad + mor

Houseman

Mad Hatter Meme Machine.
Legacy
Apr 4, 2020
Hey, remember those times Houseman acted nonplussed that people could think he wasn't speaking in good faith/ with genuine humility? Hah, good times.
Like other humans, I am capable of varying my approach according to the situation. If it's something as simple as "this person said X", where I know I'm in the right, and if my interlocutor is someone who is consistently nasty towards me, then yeah, I'm going to bring the hammer down.

If it's something I'm not well-versed in, then I am going to act differently.

Elijin

Elite Muppet
Legacy
Feb 15, 2009
For someone who knows you're in the right so much, you really suck at convincing other people of it, pretty shit debate skills bro.

No one rebutted to your follow up because you were just moving the goal posts along after being wrong about what those words mean. We are slowly getting better at moving on.

Im not nasty. I'm honest. You're a morally bankrupt troll. You don't even personally back half your arguments. The only reason you havent been banhammered is a combination of playing the "you'd be silencing the opposition!" victim card and the fact your circular bullshit drives a considerable amount of page activity without ever blatantly breaking the rules.

Houseman

Mad Hatter Meme Machine.
Legacy
Apr 4, 2020
For someone who knows you're in the right so much, you really suck at convincing other people of it, pretty shit debate skills bro.
Do you have any rebuttals?
No?
Well then I guess I did pretty good.

See yourself out with another fart noise.

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
Like other humans, I am capable of varying my approach according to the situation.
There's varying your approach, and then there's acting with immense condescension one moment and then sealioning the next.

Dwarvenhobble

Is on the Gin
May 26, 2020
They didn't. People said certain neuroscientific conceptions were "hogwash" and "based on conservative views on gender as a simple duality". You then concluded that since the video also included Dr. Verma, they must also be calling her a conservative, which simply doesn't follow.
Except I posted the video.
I specifically brought up that bit of the video and that research by Dr Verma.
That research was the specific bit people were taking aim at as being pushing conservative views.
Is this a position where every conservative view on everything is believed to just be wrong? Cause that would indicate some serious bias going on.

It's not "inconsistent" to believe in some theories and not others, just because there are figures in the scientific community who support both. That's utter nonsense.

Put it this way: Darwinism and Lamarckism are both scientific theories. There are scientific figures who subscribe to both. I (and most people) believe in one but not the other. That is not somehow "inconsistent", just because they're both scientific theories. I (and most people) believe one is more solid and has more basis than the other.

It's a really pretty weak & nonsensical kind of "gotcha" to try to paint the belief in one scientific concept but not a different scientific theory as "inconsistent". It doesn't even make a shred of sense.
yet one side has the mountain of evidence on it while the other has circumstantial at best evidence.......People (including me) were more than happy to point out how bad creationists arguments were when they used similar to argue against evolution but now the side with the evidence on it in this case is being deemed the one progressives dislike and suddenly "It's just a theory".

No that is inconsistent. You can probably find some people in Science fields who try to support Creationism.....No really, you can. Hell there's some dude who studies geology to a PhD level to be able to try to prove the bible's claim about the age of the earth lol

Dwarvenhobble

Is on the Gin
May 26, 2020
Ah yes, we're pushing the "science is infallable" argument again.

Science which is based on a flawed ideology will produce flawed results. People like to act like studies and results cant be manipulated. This topic is about how a biased study is being discarded because the results did not matcn the intended message. Will it spell the end of the discussion? No. It will be unpublished and abandoned, while the factions searching for this answer will simply pursue other methods next time.
Dr Verma's research is based not on the normal kind of sampling studies and question / response stuff in psychology but examination of neural pathways. Kinda hard to fake that kind of data as it's not really open to subjective interpretation when it's counting the number of connections.

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
Except I posted the video.
I specifically brought up that bit of the video and that research by Dr Verma.
That research was the specific bit people were taking aim at as being pushing conservative views.
Is this a position where every conservative view on everything is believed to just be wrong? Cause that would indicate some serious bias going on.
It wasn't, though, was it? Nobody actually singled out a particular individual or specific piece of research. Except you.

yet one side has the mountain of evidence on it while the other has circumstantial at best evidence.......People (including me) were more than happy to point out how bad creationists arguments were when they used similar to argue against evolution but now the side with the evidence on it in this case is being deemed the one progressives dislike and suddenly "It's just a theory".
What theory are you talking about, here, which supposedly has all the evidence for it and yet is being immediately dismissed?

Are you talking about gender being a strict binary?

No that is inconsistent. You can probably find some people in Science fields who try to support Creationism.....No really, you can. Hell there's some dude who studies geology to a PhD level to be able to try to prove the bible's claim about the age of the earth lol
No idea what point you're trying to make here. This doesn't counter the fact that believing one scientific theory and not a different one isn't "inconsistent" and that literally everybody does it.

Houseman

Mad Hatter Meme Machine.
Legacy
Apr 4, 2020
It wasn't, though, was it? Nobody actually singled out a particular individual or specific piece of research. Except you.
You're right, they just instantly dismissed it out of hand because "conservative theories!" without even knowing what they were dismissing.

Reactions: Dwarvenhobble

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
You're right, they just instantly dismissed it out of hand because "conservative theories!" without even knowing what they were dismissing.
"These people didn't provide an in-depth rebuttal for why they don't subscribe to a particular neuroscientific theory, so they must be doing it out of pure prejudice".

Houseman

Mad Hatter Meme Machine.
Legacy
Apr 4, 2020
"These people didn't provide an in-depth rebuttal for why they don't subscribe to a particular neuroscientific theory, so they must be doing it out of pure prejudice".
Yes. It was the "based on a conservative theory" bit that tipped me off to that.

Reactions: Dwarvenhobble

Dwarvenhobble

Is on the Gin
May 26, 2020
Yet the reply chain was after I had pointed out said piece of research specifically.

What theory are you talking about, here, which supposedly has all the evidence for it and yet is being immediately dismissed?

Are you talking about gender being a strict binary?
The Neurological evidence of the synaptic connections showing a binary in adults.
Yes even Trans Adults where their body conforms to their Gender identity not their birth sex.
No this isn't based on the brain area size study you're likely about to cite or the grey matter study.

No idea what point you're trying to make here. This doesn't counter the fact that believing one scientific theory and not a different one isn't "inconsistent" and that literally everybody does it.
Your argument "Because some-one in Science used Science to support an opposing theory it's not settled" well some Creationists and people who believe the Bible about the age of the world etc are in Science and have used Science methods to try and prove the claims. Does that make said claims also a Science Theory?

The idea men and women have no differences beyond genitals didn't originate from a Science field either. Why does that get to be counted as a theory in Science when it came from Gender Studies which doesn't even normally meet the standards of rigour for the Social Sciences field?

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
Yes. It was the "based on a conservative theory" bit that tipped me off to that.
The bit that one person said, specifically referring to the conception of gender is a simple binary, and which you've then inflated into proof-positive that multiple people in here write off and and all research from conservatives.

This is fishing for grievances.

Yet the reply chain was after I had pointed out said piece of research specifically.
It is true that more people than just myself have been able to ignore your largely irrelevant hyper-focus on a single individual from the video.

The Neurological evidence of the synaptic connections showing a binary in adults.
Yes even Trans Adults where their body conforms to their Gender identity not their birth sex.
No this isn't based on the brain area size study you're likely about to cite or the grey matter study.
None of which indicates gender is a strict and/or exclusive binary.

Your argument "Because some-one in Science used Science to support an opposing theory it's not settled"
This isn't even faintly similar to anything I said, or anything that I believe. Shabby strawman.

The idea men and women have no differences beyond genitals didn't originate from a Science field either. Why does that get to be counted as a theory in Science when it came from Gender Studies which doesn't even normally meet the standards of rigour for the Social Sciences field?
Shabbiest strawman. Look, I'm not going to address questions if they're rested solely on an absurd description of shit nobody said.

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
Yes, that was all that person needed to dismiss everything said on the subject, including the science.
But they didn't. You dramatically inflated it, far beyond any resemblance to the original intent.

You did so on purpose, because you enjoy fishing for grievances, and you're still doing it. Boo-hoo, somebody said "conservative" in a pejorative sense. Put it in your blog, nobody gives a rat's ass.

Dwarvenhobble

Is on the Gin
May 26, 2020
It is true that more people than just myself have been able to ignore your largely irrelevant hyper-focus on a single individual from the video.
And yet if you wish you wish to argue widening the net to frame all the research in the video as done by conservatives then where's the evidence?

Hell where's the evidence the experiments gave flawed results?

Some of those experiments have been repeated throughout the years and were repeated again in the video to show what happened and the results were the same.

None of which indicates gender is a strict and/or exclusive binary.
Except it does if you'd watched the video. Pretty clear cut differences in multiple different experiments many of which have been repeated throughout the years giving the same results which were split along the lines of peoples gender.

This isn't even faintly similar to anything I said, or anything that I believe. Shabby strawman.
A specific you said? No.
A general position you're in? Yes.
The presentation of any work done by a "Conservative" as being non scientific or done outside of science. The idea of healing properties of certain plants was once a "Conservative" position too it's worth noting. But we're learning some of those claims of herbal plants do play out and have been yielding discoveries that help people.

Shabbiest strawman. Look, I'm not going to address questions if they're rested solely on an absurd description of shit nobody said.
Except as I pointed out that's the present progressive point. As we were talking about Anita at the time I was pointing out that's the kind of thing she has spread. I mean that's part of her argument for non-gender specific sports.

Dwarvenhobble

Is on the Gin
May 26, 2020
But they didn't. You dramatically inflated it, far beyond any resemblance to the original intent.

You did so on purpose, because you enjoy fishing for grievances, and you're still doing it. Boo-hoo, somebody said "conservative" in a pejorative sense. Put it in your blog, nobody gives a rat's ass.
yeh the original intent was to dismiss the arguments being made?

It was deliberately used as a pejorative to try and get people to have a knee jerk reaction and respond more from a place of emotion than reason.