Protectors of the Crystals, a Final Fantasy RP (Dead)

Redlin5_v1legacy

Better Red than Dead
Aug 5, 2009
48,837
0
0
"Allow me to show you something."

Cristof walked up to a stone wall and after stroking its surface it opened up to reveal a passage. Gerhard watched as Mira and six of the others enter the new door. There was a hint of powerful magic coming from doorway and Gerhard didn't like this situation already.

Yeah, no.

"I guess I'll make sure its not just a ploy for time and watch our backs." he muttered to nobody in particular as they left.

He looked around at the makeshift living quarters and noticed Roderic had hung back as well.

"I wonder if our caretaker fellow has something to drink around here." he said sarcastically.

Gerhard walked over to a pile of books in a corner and picked a few up. A cook book, a bestiary... wait...

I know this series.

Gerhard opened an aged book and it was full of runes. They were familiar but, alas, past mistakes caught up with him again. He had always done the bare minimum of effort when studying runes for Calamai. Spells had interested him much more and the language of scribes was one that required frequent meditation. It also required one to abstain from spirits.

For someone who isn't magical, he has some old texts lying around... What's this one?

Pulling a small, rather thin tome from the shelf, Gerhard was struck by the runes on the front of the book. They were moving. As he tried to open it, Gerhard noticed the pages were seemingly held shut by a force like glue. A simple but complex charm for security. It must be holding some secrets of value for someone to bother casting such a spell on a book so small.

"I might have found something important, how about you?" asked Gerhard to Roderic who was also poking around the room. He quietly found an appropriately sized pocket in his robe and secured the book. Perhaps with time it could prove to be of some value.
 

UnusualStranger

Keep a hat handy
Jan 23, 2010
13,588
0
41
"I might have found something important, how about you?"

"If you consider quite a bit of rags, junk, and old things as important, no. Not a damn thing worth noting. Least the books revealed something to you." Roderic replied, sifting through what few shelves and things were available. Whoever had set this up had done so in some kind of hurry...or had let the place fall apart and just tossed around whatever afterwords.

Whatever the case, as he sifted through the junk, this place seemed very...technological? It was surprising to him since this place seemed so much more based on magical devices, so the last thing he expected were tattered papers of blueprints of some kind? It made little sense to him, along with a collection of ripped bits and drawing and measuring tools.

"At this point, I would be happy with a warp gem, or something to get us out of here at this point. Because if there was one thing I'm sure of, its that we should bring this place to the ground, and leave it to itself. Especially with crazy man...or whatever it is he is." Roderic muttered, slightly to Gerhard, but more to himself.

Really need to pack those things, but those are sometimes so damn expensive, and just leave such a bad taste afterwords.
 

PrinceOfShapeir

New member
Mar 27, 2011
1,849
0
0
Cristof watched Yuria's charge with an expression of curiosity, his eyes fixated on her every movement. "Fascinating..." He gave them a thin lipped smile. "I am afraid my 'leader', the Emperor, is far away across the sea. However, if you desire to meet the overseer of this facility that is within our means."

Cristof turned away from them and looked down the shaft, his mouth opening and three sharp notes coming from it.

"The Overseer will be here shortly." There was a shift in the vibration of the facility. "His purpose is to ensure the smooth operation of the facility until the Legion is decanted." There was a sound like rattling chains and a massive bipedal construct rose from the depths to land on the platform, leveling an arm that ended in three massive gun barrels at the group.

"Facility Fourteen under threat. Initiate protocol twelve and exterminate the infestation. For the Empire."


MAGITEK WAR MACHINE

OVERSEER FOURTEEN
 

SkyeNeko

New member
Dec 30, 2010
3,104
0
0
So much for no violence
Lilianna swore internally, hoping that this hulking machine was not going to scare away any of their party. They were going to need a lot more team work to take the behemoth down. "You have a piece of scrap metal in charge of this place? Very funny. No wonder we cut our way here like a sword through smoke. For Halvor!" She positioned herself in front of the mages, intending to defend them as well as she could. "For the crystals!"

The machine answered with a spray of bullets, it's guns lighting up. Lilianna thanked every crystal from here to Alexia she had good armor. Most of the bullets pinged off (painfully), sparing her much more tender flesh.
 

Mr. Omega

ANTI-LIFE JUSTIFIES MY HATE!
Jul 1, 2010
3,902
0
0
The rumbling of the oncoming overseer did not disturb Dagon. He was content knowing that the one who oversaw this was heading their way, and that the overall threat was this 'Emperor'. However, the smug attitude was dampened when he actually saw the damn thing. "By the gods..." he muttered, half impressed by the scale of it, half dreading the fact that they would have to fight it. The machine pointed an arm with three barrels at the party, machines whirring as it warmed up to start firing. Liliana stepped in front of the party, taking the first few shots.

"The kingdom is lucky to have a knight of your VALOR, noble one! Leave this hazard to me!" Dagon rushed to the hand, prepping a blitz. "ELBOW CANNON!" He slammed the arm of the machine, sending it upwards, making the remainder of the shots fire harmlessly in the air.

As he backed away from the arm, he could feel the aura of a protection spell cast from the white mage who had been remaining in the back. "Thank you once again, mage!" He then remembered the current situation. "Some of us need to try doing something about that army over the balcony!" He wasn't sure who it should be, but he remembered one thing from the Alexander "Chicken Mage! You can summon things! Such power might be helpful in felling the enemy legions!"
 

PrinceOfShapeir

New member
Mar 27, 2011
1,849
0
0
"Belay that!" Mira shouted. "The crystals can wait! Focus on the machine!" She moved forward, bringing her halberd around in a powerful hack that cut a notch in the armor of the Overseer's torso. It shifted and broyght the claw arm around, smashing into her and sending her flying across the balcony, nearly sliding over the edge. She drew in a breath and winced - cracked rib, her armor was driven into her flesh at a few points. "Fall back." She choked it out. "We'll get butchered if we fight it here." She regained her feet and moved to her sister's side.
 

Redlin5_v1legacy

Better Red than Dead
Aug 5, 2009
48,837
0
0
There was the sound of gunfire, far more rapid and loud than any of Rowen's shots had ever been, and it was coming from the passage. There also was the sound of steps, far heavier than any of their compatriots should be.

"This doesn't bode well!" he shouted at Roderic, rushing down the opening in the wall.

Gerhard came upon a balcony with the others in a chamber that was surrounded in crystals. More importantly however there was some kind of gigantic metal machine unlike anything he had seen before. It had an arm which fired out bullets at frightening speed and what looked like an arm designed for grasping. He didn't see Cristof anywhere. Although his hand had been on the hilt of his sword, it felt foolish even making the gesture in front of something that imposing.

What manner of magic is this?!

The arm leveled down at them and began to fire again but Dagon managed to strike it just before the elbow joint, causing the spray to fire up into the ceiling. As small chunks of rock harmlessly battered his hat, Gerhard rushed an incantation.

"Chicken Mage! You can summon things! Such power might be helpful in felling the enemy legions!" said Dagon, clearly readying himself for another rush.

"Belay that! The crystals can wait! Focus on the machine!" shouted Mira as she charged forward.

His incantations complete, Gerhard launched a Thunder spell from his hands at the most power he could muster.

*CRACK*

The three bolts he had casted erupted out of him with far more force than he had ever managed before. Gerhard struggled to maintain control of the spell as it surged through his arms, making them heat up tremendously. It struck chest area of the machine, seemingly making it flinch before it turned and struck out at Mira with its claw arm. The impact sounded horrifying, sending the Dragoon skidding across the floor.

"My Thunder is amplified here!" he shouted as Mira picked herself up. It was apparent she was hurt but she was still moving.

"Fall back. We'll get butchered if we fight it here."

"Where do we fall back to?" asked Gerhard, launching another bolt to cover the group's retreat. This one hit the grasping arm, causing the torso of the machine to turn slightly upon impact.

I have to be careful with this spell, my arms are already sore and I've cast it only twice!

He began prepping a third spell, praying that the machine didn't focus its attention on him.
 

Doc Gnosis

Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2010
1,068
0
1
Country
United States
Nr. i

The figure Cristof was still unhelpful and at this point chose to brandish his rod openly and draw from his deep reserves of mana. He spoke about one possible superior - an Emperor - but was still obstructive in divulging more to answer his query. Cristof had elevated himself to an active deterrent and it was time for more coercive methods.

As if robed man knew the conclusion the Black Mage reached he summoned a massive construct to their area, presumably to defend him. It looked mechanical in nature and meticulous in design; clearly built to last, and the party?s objective was to eradicate this new target. He was glowing with the mana he?s collected and proceeded to summon Adrammelech once again to combat this new foe. Just in time too as it tossed Mira like a dart.

The shining gate appeared behind the construct and the Wroth emerged, charging at the hostile with a deafening shriek. The Esper collided right into the mechanical foe like a brick against a wall. Violent sparks of viridescent lightning shot out from the Esper?s armor, connecting with the construct?s body. If it had taken any damage, the construct did not show its damage. Despite the Wroth Emperor rivalling its foe by size, the latter was wider and heavier; built for combat as opposed to the former?s lightning. It took swipes at the Wroth and sent it flying, but the Esper charge back at it, discharging another cascade of lightning. Whatever damage the construct took seemed superficial, and Adrammelech was going nowhere in progress. But the Esper did provide a benefit to the Black Mage and the rest of the party.

The Black mage meanwhile stood behind the Gria Knight and the Protective spell that was cast over him, willing as much mana to maintain the Wroth?s presence in this plain; compared to the spells and strengths the party wielded, the Esper - in his mind - yielded the best chance to terminate this mechanical enemy.
 

SkyeNeko

New member
Dec 30, 2010
3,104
0
0
Mira and Dagon were on the offensive. Lilianna could notice as the mages behind her got to their casting, the hairs on her neck pricking as electricity filled the air. The machine focused on the physical attackers now, and the knight was relieved that at least they had Protect when it grabbed Mira. It wasn't anything the hero dragon couldn't handle, nothing worthy of a Phoenix down, but Lilianna reflexively cast as powerful a heal as she could manage, resisting the urge to run over and help her up.

"Fall back! We'll get butchered if we fight here!"
All the mana in the tower might actually help them in this case, but they would come up with a plan while they ran. It was then that she noticed that they were missing a few from their rank. I swear to the Crystals... she didn't finish the thought, grabbing the white mage first and shoving her towards the stairs. "You heard the Captain! Retreat!" The suicidal black mage and herself would probably be the last to go, since he was in the middle of summoning, and she wouldn't wish another direct hit on the only other well armored person in the group. She kept her focus on the machine now, blindly nudging the next mage toward the stairs.
 

PrinceOfShapeir

New member
Mar 27, 2011
1,849
0
0
"Electrical overcharge received. Engage sinks." The mechanical monstrosity hummed, electricity pouring off it into the stony ground. A heartbeat later it straightened up, the slots and gaps in the armor glowing blue-white. Adrammelech struxk it with another blast that flowed across it before reflecting and striking Adrammelech to minimal effect.

"Storm shield engaged."

In spite of the creature's apparent implacability it was showing the marks of the battle, armor plates dented and notched, twisted by the lightning.

While it was distracted Mira moved for the exit. "Move! Move!"
 

Lambi

Yuki-Onna
Oct 20, 2009
30,217
0
0
Yuria was very annoyed that the Gria Knight had stopped her, though she supposed that they'd gotten valuable information from Cristof, who his leader was, but had she been able to cut him down, they wouldn't be facing this monstrous machine he'd summoned onto the balcony. Joining with the two Black Mages, she cast her own lighting spells, which were almost as good as Gerhard's, striking the Overseer who was now preoccupied with the birdmasked Black Mage's Esper.

Things seemed to be going alright for them, even if the Overseer didn't seem to change much despite showing damage, until it hummed. "So, no more lighting. Guess it's time for-" She couldn't continue with that when the Gria Knight nudged her towards the stairs. Seriously, do you just have a problem with me or something? She hadn't missed what Mira and her had said, though she wanted to get off at least one Fire spell before leaving. She gathered some mana before releasing it into a fireball that headed towards the Overseer, then headed herself for the stairs.
 

UnusualStranger

Keep a hat handy
Jan 23, 2010
13,588
0
41
Roderic was glancing at the blueprints a bit more closely when what possibly had been on parts of them decided to get up and start threatening them. Gerhard took off to help out, but Roderic upon seeing the monstrosity even from a distance knew that this was a fight that he was not going to be doing much for. And when the others called for them to get out of there, Roderic was already as far away from the thing as possible.

But where where they going? They really shouldn't go upstairs, as that would take them to a dead end where they wouldn't be able to go any higher after a point, and there was nothing waiting for them on the roof but monsters. Roderic couldn't help but be annoyed that they hadn't just killed the crazy man when they had the chance.

"Nice of you to join in. Anyone got a plan on what exactly we could do to bring this thing down? It looks...well, like it doesn't give a damn." Roderic said, staying back against the wall, as far away as he wanted to be from the bot. One so he could have time to move, and two so he could lean against the wall as the rest of them fell back.
 

Redlin5_v1legacy

Better Red than Dead
Aug 5, 2009
48,837
0
0
Gerhard cast forth bolt after bolt of Thunder but aside the occasional flinch, the machine continued to focus it's attention on the summoned beast Engbyr had brought into the battle. Gerhard nearly lost control of a bolt intended for their foe and directed it into the ceiling rather than risk it hitting Adrammelech.

This tower must be destroyed somehow... It's too reactive to surrounding mana! Wait... what's it saying?

"Storm shield engaged."

Engbyr's monster continued its assault but now the mechanical terror seemed to be reflecting the beast's lightning back at it.

"Move! Move!"

Gerhard wasn't about to argue with that order. Despite all the mana they were slinging at it, it was still moving without any signs of slowing down. As the red mage fired a ball of flames at what appeared to be it's head, Gerhard quickly cast a Blizzard spell at it's gun arm. The ice seemed to jam it's ammunition feed briefly and the bullets which had been spraying wildly in their direction temporarily ceased. He didn't stick around to watch anything further, he just turned and ran for his life with the others.

He made it out into the room he was just exploring a few minutes prior along with the others who had emerged from the chamber. With no obvious way out except but up, Gerhard stomped his foot in helpless anger.

If we're supposed to die today, at least let us get out of here first. I don't want go down like a rat in a trap.

"Well, we're out of there. What's our next move?" he said curtly with no hint of sarcasm. He could get angry at Mira and her planning later, survival came first.

"There's no time to dillydally. Orders now, we can argue later."
 

Doc Gnosis

Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2010
1,068
0
1
Country
United States
Nr. i

Adrammelech shrieked in defiance to the construct?s attempt to turn His own Judgement against him.

A standstill appeared to have been made between the massive construct and the Wroth; neither appeared to have taken slight damage, and neither had a clear advantage over the other. The mechanical foe could shove the Esper easily and charge right to the rearguard that?s been established, but Adrammelech had speed, maneuverability, and before the defensive precautions kicked in he had the initial edge. But the call to retreat had put this standstill in question; if the mech disengages from the Wroth it would mean trouble for the party. An option came to dispel Adrammelech in favor of one of another Esper - Belias in particular. Considering the attunement of the construct?s precautions they would be nothing before that Esper; by the same token it would mean that the foe could damage the Esper if the Black Mage summoned him. There was a temptation to summon the Gigas of War and push for more damage, but doing so would require channeling more mana and leaving the party - and himself - vulnerable.

He would direct the Wroth to refrain from lightning and buy time. A low growl escaped the Esper?s mouth, obviously balking at the order, but eventually complied; the Black Mage?s caution was misplace according to Him, but that did not matter. The streaks of red faded from his terrible visage, and the streaks of lightning gradually lessen as Adrammelech took a different offensive, charging more at its limbs to add to the light damage the construct took.

The Black Mage meanwhile slowly moved back where Mira and the others were falling back to. He still had to keep Adrammelech here as a buffer between the party and the construct, at least until the rest of the party has regrouped...
 

PrinceOfShapeir

New member
Mar 27, 2011
1,849
0
0
Without lightning or the distraction of the group Adrammelech was in a rather difficult position, only able to engage in direct physical attack to keep the machine occupied. It worked long enough for the last of the group to escape. Then, "Tactics analyzed. Target locked." As Adrammelech came for another pass to strike it the mech snatched him with the claw arm, squeezing. Adrammelech let out a screech of pain and dug his claws into a damaged plate, wrenching and tearing it before the gum arm came up and fired into his head, reducing the Esper to a rapidly dispersing cloud.

On the other side of the door Mira barked orders. "Grab shelves, tables, whatever. Make some cover. Battlemages, target the legs and gun arm, use ice magic. Gunner, go for joints. Knives, get behind it if you can, look for a weak point. Dagon, try to draw fire. Healer, keep him alive. Lili, beat the shit out of him. I'll attack from above. We're ending this now!"

They only had a minute to prepare before the Overseer tore through the wall. "Resistance is pointless. Die. For the Empire."
 

NeoAC

Zombie Nation #LetsRise
Jun 9, 2008
8,574
0
0
When the group seemed to have had enough of the hooded man and his veiled threats, Rowen was ready to shoot off his gun instead of his mouth along with the rest of the group. Unfortunately, as the Overseer emerged, it looked like the Ranger had brought a slingshot to take on a cannon. Once the machine started opening fire upon the group, Rowen could do nothing but hit the deck with everyone else. He didn't fire anything at the construct. What the hell can I fire at? I'm made to take down monsters and crooks, not a oversized and overgunned slot machine!

"You heard the Captain! Retreat!"

Don't have to tell me twice! Rowen beat it out of there with the others before holding up in the chamber for a brief respite. So now what?

Of course the Head Honcho had a plan. She started barking out orders to all the fighters present, and while normally Rowen would have put the barrel to his own head before listening to this woman, for once, he was a bit thankful for the direction. He grabbed one of the tables that was available in the room and flipped it onto his side. It didn't travel far, but it didn't have to. He took a position behind it, leaning around the edge to maintain a sightline for if...no, when that thing burst through the wall.

He didn't have to wait long. The metal behemoth smashed through the wall like it was made of paper. The Queen Bee said to go for the joints, but it was tough to get a good sight on where, or how Rowen's gun was going to be able to hit said points. Finally he picked up on the circular disks on the legs that must serve as the monster's knees. All right, let's see if I can hit this sucker. The marksman leaned out and fired away at the legs, hoping to knock enough bolts out of place that the mobility of the machine would be drastically cut down.
 

Doc Gnosis

Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2010
1,068
0
1
Country
United States
Nr. i

An acute pain struck the Black Mage?s head as Adrammalech fell to the construct?s efforts. A scream escaped his mouth and his free hand clutched his masked forehead. So much mana had went into summoning him, and now he found himself near spent. Another summoning was out of the question in this fight, and what spells he could weave would be few in between. If only the hum would stop completely...

He had to fall back.

First thing the Black Mage did upon entering the hall was turn over a large table and drag it to the sideline. He then went to another large table and moved it adjacent to the other one. The intent was forming a long enough cover to flank the construct on its left, or create a means of retreat either further upstairs or back in the balcony. He had turned over and piled one more table before the foe got close to barging through. From behind this new cover he began to conserve his mana in wait, until a new opportunity arose in the encounter. He could only hope that the other party had taken a similar precaution.

The gateway finally broke down and the room was flooded with the construct?s whirring tones. It was not enough time to recuperate but the Black Mage made do. Peering behind cover, he took in the construct to know its status. Still the foe was glowing white, signifying its precautions were still in effect; lightning would probably reflect and strike back like it did with the Wroth. Physically the mech?s frame was damaged, at least on the surface; functionality it did not waver. It cast hoary frost on its feet and joints to slow its movement at least, or crack its frame at best. Then he hid, moving closer behind the construct through the cover.
 

UnusualStranger

Keep a hat handy
Jan 23, 2010
13,588
0
41
Roderic grinned at the new name he now had. Course, he was more than ready to do what he could, and in this room perhaps he could have a better chance of striking the unsuspecting. With a quick sprint, he had rushed over to the far right side, and figured his best bet was a bookcase to knock over. With a grunt and a pull, he managed to bring it down, and then went to his stomach. There would be two things he would have to wait for now, which was for it to find someone else to go after, and for there to be something even on the damn back of the thing. The front was, of course, probably full metal plating, meaning that if there was going to be something to get, it was the back.

As it tore through the wall, Roderic winced as a few stones fell down around, and little ones upon him. Less than pleasant, but at least it was nothing major. It was at this moment he wished he had his flaming knife, for if there would be a very important point for an enchanted knife, it would be now. At least he had enough knives for a good collection of misses...or targets to get through.

Only the beggars get to choose. C'mon, you damned piece of scrap, lets see if you are as tough when your back is turned.
 

Lambi

Yuki-Onna
Oct 20, 2009
30,217
0
0
Yuria quickly acted as Mira gave them orders, grabbing hold of a shelf and bringing it down to make cover. She hid behind it as she waited for the Overseer to get to them. A screech could be heard on the other side before gunfire, and shortly after that the machine was through the wall. "Resistance is pointless. Die. For the Empire." "Never!" Yuria yelled at it before she cast Blizzard at its feet, hoping to either freeze it to the ground or make the metal so cold, it would be easy to crack for the physical attackers. She also aimed a couple of Blizzards at its gunarm, hoping to freeze it shut so it wouldn't be able to fire. She definitely couldn't get close to attack it. Her chainmail was good, but not that good.
 

Mr. Omega

ANTI-LIFE JUSTIFIES MY HATE!
Jul 1, 2010
3,902
0
0
Dagon had been dodging around, keeping the automaton from firing any more bullets at the group before the Esper appeared, making him fall back. Once things started going south, he heard Mira call the retreat. "Sound tactics! Getting into a more favorable position is essential!"

He had made it back with the others, getting in on the plan. "I SHALL fufill my duty, Captain!" he said, saluting as he got in front of the mages' cover. Once the Overseer had broken through the wall, Dagon rushed forward. "Die. For the Empire." "Indeed you shall, FOUL MACHINE! Face DAGON SETH'S divine fury as the very earth itself tears you asunder!" the same aura from before returned, this time intensifying around his feet. The mages had cast their ice magic, mostly hitting the machine's legs.

As the Overseer tried to swipe at Dagon with its grabbing arm, he dove over it, twirling around in the air right before he was between its legs, where the ice was starting to accumulate. "Gaia..." he was now right on target, facing one leg with his back to the other. He split his legs in both directions, practically forming a straight line forward and back. "Missle!" Despite his long legs, Dagon didn't actually reach the feet of the Overseer. However, a shockwave burst from where he had kicked, and the ground itself was launched in both directions, making the shockwave and a barrage of pointed stones shoot at the machine. His jump continued its arc and he landed right at the back of the machine's legs, turning around and running back in front of it, zigging and zagging so that it would have a hard time trying to keep up.