Dec 12, 2010
viking97 said:
Realitycrash said:
viking97 said:
Realitycrash said:
ravensheart18 said:
I think and therefore I am.

You on the other hand are a bot.
Cogito ergo Sum doesn't necessarily prove that YOU exist, just that SOMEONE (something?) exists.
Nothing says that those thoughts in your head that you seem to controll doesn't belong to someone else, and you are just a part of this somoene/something.
for the purposes of cogito ergo sum, the person doing the thinking shall be referred to as I
That person might as well be the emperor of Japan, Cthuhlu, or the solipcist that started this thread. Nothing says that it must be Ravensheart18.
In this we are in agreement, although we might differ on the significance of that fact.
I'm not even totally convinced that Cogito Ergo Sum proves that something at all exists. I'v never been very impressed by that argument. Still, it's the best we have. Descartes still didn't prove that the supposed demon tricking him wasn't all that existed.

viking97

Jan 23, 2010
Realitycrash said:
viking97 said:
Realitycrash said:
viking97 said:
Realitycrash said:
ravensheart18 said:

Cogito ergo Sum doesn't necessarily prove that YOU exist, just that SOMEONE (something?) exists.
Nothing says that those thoughts in your head that you seem to controll doesn't belong to someone else, and you are just a part of this somoene/something.
for the purposes of cogito ergo sum, the person doing the thinking shall be referred to as I
That person might as well be the emperor of Japan, Cthuhlu, or the solipcist that started this thread. Nothing says that it must be Ravensheart18.
In this we are in agreement, although we might differ on the significance of that fact.
I'm not even totally convinced that Cogito Ergo Sum proves that something at all exists. I'v never been very impressed by that argument. Still, it's the best we have. Descartes still didn't prove that the supposed demon tricking him wasn't all that existed.
you know before i stumbled on this thread i thought cogito ergo sum was an infallible argument, but i've since had a lot to think about.

Realitycrash

Dec 12, 2010
viking97 said:
Realitycrash said:
viking97 said:
Realitycrash said:
viking97 said:
Realitycrash said:
ravensheart18 said:

you know before i stumbled on this thread i thought cogito ergo sum was an infallible argument, but i've since had a lot to think about.
All Cogito Ergo Sum says is that something exists, and something is interpretating this somehow, maybe not even on a conciouse level. It certainly isn't a proof against a solipcist that says "I am the only thing that exists, you are all just a figment of my imagination".

Cpu46

Gloria ex machina
Sep 21, 2009
Well lets look at it this way. Imagination is a lot like dreaming. You can really only imagine or dream what you have experienced. The form and construction of the experiences may be new and even outlandish, but everything is based off of a real interaction. A person blind since birth can not dream or imagine images or color since they have no frame of reference. In order to imagine that you are interacting with someone you must first have actually done so. Therefore everyone can not be a figment of your imagination since without a real person to base the interaction there would be no way to imagine more interactions. The chance of you being able to imagine thousands of individual entities is extremely low. Therefore, while there is a chance that I do not exist, it is highly unlikely.

TL;DR
You can't imagine something that relies on stimuli that you have not experienced, therefore my existence is highly likely but not guaranteed.

medicvalues

May 11, 2010
i exist through the fact that even if i am of your subconscious thought by being something that takes up something which in this case can either be matter or just space in yo noggin

Fearzone

Boyz! Boyz! Boyz!
Dec 3, 2008
I suppose you can ask me a question that you can't possibly know, and if I can answer it correctly, that is strong evidence of my otherness.

Realitycrash

Dec 12, 2010
Cpu46 said:
Well lets look at it this way. Imagination is a lot like dreaming. You can really only imagine or dream what you have experienced. The form and construction of the experiences may be new and even outlandish, but everything is based off of a real interaction. A person blind since birth can not dream or imagine images or color since they have no frame of reference. In order to imagine that you are interacting with someone you must first have actually done so. Therefore everyone can not be a figment of your imagination since without a real person to base the interaction there would be no way to imagine more interactions. The chance of you being able to imagine thousands of individual entities is extremely low. Therefore, while there is a chance that I do not exist, it is highly unlikely.

TL;DR
You can't imagine something that relies on stimuli that you have not experienced, therefore my existence is highly likely but not guaranteed.
Untrue. There is no fact backing up that I can't imagine things I have not experienced. I have never met a mermaid, yet I can imagine one. I can imagine a pigmaid (that's an antromorph-pig with mermaid fin), and I have never even seen one in a cartoon.
One can imagine almost everything, and construct it from previous things you have experienced, even if they are not the exactly what you experienced before.

mitchell271

Sep 3, 2010
This is a boring one but, "I think, therefore I am." Philosophied, ******

*This isn't condescension, I just like ending this sort of thing with a "*****"

medicvalues

May 11, 2010
Realitycrash said:
Cpu46 said:

TL;DR
Untrue. There is no fact backing up that I can't imagine things I have not experienced. I have never met a mermaid, yet I can imagine one. I can imagine a pigmaid (that's an antromorph-pig with mermaid fin), and I have never even seen one in a cartoon.
One can imagine almost everything, and construct it from previous things you have experienced, even if they are not the exactly what you experienced before.
you have just come to the combination of multiple different things you have seen in life and combined said things

Realitycrash

Dec 12, 2010
Fearzone said:
I suppose you can ask me a question that you can't possibly know, and if I can answer it correctly, that is strong evidence of my otherness.
The solipcist can just argue that since everything is part of him, he already knew the answer, he just didn't remember it.

Realitycrash

Dec 12, 2010
medicvalues said:
Realitycrash said:
Cpu46 said:

TL;DR
you have just come to the combination of multiple different things you have seen in life and combined said things
The person might be born with the ´knowledge of interaction, or have exprienced it before, then gone mad and created a dream-world, from which we are all a part of.

Fearzone

Boyz! Boyz! Boyz!
Dec 3, 2008
Realitycrash said:
Fearzone said:
The solipcist can just argue that since everything is part of him, he already knew the answer, he just didn't remember it.
Okay, so the solipcist scoops two big handfuls of coins and drops them in a jar. He asks me how many coins are in the jar. I count them with my back turned, so he cannot see me counting, and give him the answer. He then counts then, and arrives at the number I gave him. Wouldn't that suggest my existence outside of his? How can there logically not be separate presence, in this case?

Realitycrash

Dec 12, 2010
Fearzone said:
Realitycrash said:
Fearzone said:
Okay, so the solipcist scoops two big handfuls of coins and drops them in a jar. He asks me how many coins are in the jar. I count them with my back turned, so he cannot see me counting, and give him the answer. He then counts then, and arrives at the number I gave him. Wouldn't that suggest my existence outside of his? How can there logically not be separate presence, in this case?
You might just be a different part of him, not a separate presence. No matter what question you ask or what truth you claim there is, he can just keep believing that this truth is something he already know (for you is he), or that it is something he is just making up right now.
You can suggest all you want, it isn't going to prove anything to him.

Orinon

Jan 24, 2010
I don't need to prove if I'm real or not
I Kill therefore I AM

or I think therefore I am

Cpu46

Gloria ex machina
Sep 21, 2009
Realitycrash said:
Cpu46 said:
Dreams and Imagination are driven by memory. If the core pieces are not in your memory then you can not imagine a phenomena that requires those pieces. You may have never met a mermaid, yet you have seen a woman and a fish as well as depictions of mermaids. You can imagine a pigmaid similarly, you have seen a fish and you have seen a pig and your brain can put that togeather. Really at this point in life there is little that you can't dream about since you have experienced so much. However like I stated in my original post people blind since birth or infancy don't imagine or dream in images and color.
Realitycrash said:
... Thats exactly my point.
4th sentence from my original post said:
The form and construction of the experiences may be new and even outlandish, but everything is based off of a real interaction.

Fearzone

Boyz! Boyz! Boyz!
Dec 3, 2008
Realitycrash said:
You might just be a different part of him, not a separate presence. No matter what question you ask or what truth you claim there is, he can just keep believing that this truth is something he already know (for you is he), or that it is something he is just making up right now.
You can suggest all you want, it isn't going to prove anything to him.
If he won't submit to logic, then proof is irrelevant. But proving my existence was what was asked for, so it isn't irrelevant.

Take my counting coins example from above. It is possible to have a dream where those exact events occur in the dream while one is asleep. So, that might not totally prove my existence, but it does prove a knowledge outside of his self--in the case of the dream it is subconscious reasoning, so the solipsist is force to admit that what he knows as his self is not alone--that there is at least one other thinking presence, which if I identify as "me", and give him my name, I cannot see why he ought not to accept it.

Any knowledge outside the self demonstrates a thinking presence outside the self.

Robert Ewing

Mar 2, 2011
I'm just a poor boy, from a poor family, sparing my life from various monstrosities.

I'm kind of easy come, easy go. But Bismillah won't bloody let me go.