PS Vita Impressions

Feb 28, 2008
Don't play the PSP and Nintendo DS I already have enough to warrant another handheld console purchase... Need to read more books...

RobfromtheGulag

May 18, 2010
Similar to the PSP, all they'd have to do to get me to buy one would be to put PS2 [or even graphics-compromised PS3] favorites on there so I can play them on the road. If I could play Metal Gear 2 and Silent Hill 2 on the Vita, I'd get it. As original titles go, I don't have any that I value on PSP, I just use that for psx classics.

instantbenz

Pixel Pusher
Mar 25, 2009
Anyone who owns anything Apple complaining about the price of the Vita (as it is currently bundled $300 for the system plus a 8gig mem stick (i think)) needs to re-evaluate their intelligence.

It is better than any portable iShit out there and cheaper than most to boot. I'm just sad the vita won't go thru verizon for it's 3g services.

However, I question the amount of recalls in the Japan release in comparison to how many fail in NA.

Does anyone know how it's holding up?

Denamic

Aug 19, 2009
Angel Molina said:
Since I have had it with me so long, the battery life is messed up (about 5 minutes of play) so I can only play it with the adapter plugged in.
That's weird.
My phat PSP 1000 still has a battery life of 5 hours.
Have you left the battery uncharged or with a very low charge for long periods of time?
That kills batteries.

Zom-B

Feb 8, 2011
CardinalPiggles said:
So it's about the same size as a book, useful in the same situations too, and costs about 100 times more than a book.

I think I'll give it a miss.
I think that's a pretty unfair comparison. True, for $250 I'm sure you could buy 25 or more books, but at the same time you'd be hard pressed to cart $250 worth of paperbacks around with you. Not only that, but your book can't play music, video or games.

A PSV is certainly more versatile but obviously more expensive than a book. I'm totally down with your point of view, but comparing a PSV to a book is like comparing a car to a baby stroller.

walrusaurus

Mar 1, 2011
the intuitive ball-shaping and rolling interface in Touch My Katamari
is probably the single most ridiculous phrase i've ever seen in news story before. I know what you meant, and perhaps i'm a little too juvenile for my age, but I can't help but snicker every time i read that.

CardinalPiggles

Jun 24, 2010
Zom-B said:
CardinalPiggles said:
So it's about the same size as a book, useful in the same situations too, and costs about 100 times more than a book.

I think that's a pretty unfair comparison. True, for $250 I'm sure you could buy 25 or more books, but at the same time you'd be hard pressed to cart $250 worth of paperbacks around with you. Not only that, but your book can't play music, video or games.

A PSV is certainly more versatile but obviously more expensive than a book. I'm totally down with your point of view, but comparing a PSV to a book is like comparing a car to a baby stroller.
To counter I'd say that you don't need to cart around 25 books for them to equal the same amount of entertainment I assume you would get from a 'PSV' (I like that by the way), a PSVs battery lasts a shorter amount of time than it takes to read a book, for me anyway.

Also people that can afford a PSV likely have smart phones and iPods already which are MUCH smaller than this device and can do everything you just listed.

What it does well is gaming on a 'core gamer' level, so my conclusion is if you don't read and/or have too much money, it's viable. Otherwise it's an expensive toy that would make a nice gift for someone close.

Korten12

Now I want ma...!
Aug 26, 2009
Zachary Amaranth said:
Seems like a positive enough piece of technology. Just not enough for me to be an early adopter. With rumours of a new Pokémon, possibly for 3DS, I think I'll hold out for that for the time being.
They announced a new pokemon... For the DS.

Iron Criterion

Feb 4, 2009
I will get it, but only if PS Vita titles remain exclusive to the system. I hated how all the great exclusives that justified me owning a PSP (Metal Gear Solid, Silent Hill) were ported to the PS2...

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Korten12 said:
They announced a new pokemon... For the DS.
Yes, but I didn't know that the day before the show announcing it aired. :p

On the plus side, this means I probably won't have to buy a 3DS until they've come out with the third or fourth revision of the product.

Fearzone

Boyz! Boyz! Boyz!
Dec 3, 2008
For all the talk of cell phone gaming, you can't play a serious action game with a touch screen. If there is any action element to your game, then you are playing a nerfed experience on a tablet or smart phone.

Where you can play a serious game with a touch screen is if it is turn based and you can take back errant moves. So, something like Final Fantasy Tactics would be okay on iOS, but even that would probably be nicer with controls.

I'm tired of hearing comparisons between phone gaming and handheld gaming--it's apples and oranges--and when people start doing that, I start to question their understanding of handheld game devices.

The main problem with the Vita is lack of must-have titles. Sony's emphasis on trying to put console-type games on a handheld is also questionable. The best handheld games are unique experiences, suited to handheld devices. Good handheld games have a style all their own.

Tanis

The Last Albino
Aug 30, 2010
One of my buddies (a freak with WAY too much money) who loves buying ALL THE NEW ELECTRONIC THINGS has complained about accidentally hitting the back touch screen while playing some games.

Then again, the dude has rather large hands...

Charmi the ninja

May 28, 2011
Aww, Steve didn't even mention WipEout 2048 :'(
I thought that game was the best of the launch titles. And unlike Little Deviants, it shows off all the features of the Vita in much more practical use instead of making them look gimmicky.

Furioso

Jun 16, 2009
Wait, does this mean I would have to pay $30 a month just so I could transfer my PS1 games on PSN to the PS Vita via the internet? Is there another way? Either way I refuse to buy the thing until the reduce the costs, but I am excited

Draxonfly

May 10, 2004
Want one so bad, I have a PsPgo and love it, would totally love a Vita, but just don't have the cash for it.. so sad..

Zom-B

Feb 8, 2011
CardinalPiggles said:
Zom-B said:
CardinalPiggles said:

To counter I'd say that you don't need to cart around 25 books for them to equal the same amount of entertainment I assume you would get from a 'PSV' (I like that by the way), a PSVs battery lasts a shorter amount of time than it takes to read a book, for me anyway.

Also people that can afford a PSV likely have smart phones and iPods already which are MUCH smaller than this device and can do everything you just listed.

What it does well is gaming on a 'core gamer' level, so my conclusion is if you don't read and/or have too much money, it's viable. Otherwise it's an expensive toy that would make a nice gift for someone close.
Well, to counter your counter, I'd say that if we want to get picky, you're going to get to take one paperback in the same amount of space as the PSV. Depending on the size of the book and the speed you read, the amount of entertainment you will get is variable, but finite. Finite in the sense that you finish that book and you're most likely done with it. You're not going to turn around and read it again, yet many games have built in replay value.

The PSV is definitely more versatile, giving you games, music, video and internet (depending). Battery life is a downside, but unless you happen to be on a plane ride that's more than 5 hours or a crazy long bus/train trip, 5 hours is pretty solid. Some planes I think now have power outlets for devices anyway.

Anyway, if you're anything like me, you'd have your smartphone, you'd also have your PSP/PSV and you've have a book. Even as a gamer I only spend so much time playing games, and I always travel with a book regardless. :)