PS3 Cracked With Modded Controller

WorkerMurphey

Jan 24, 2010
oktalist said:
WorkerMurphey said:
I am American, your shenanigans are fine so long as they don't directly affect me.
Are those two statements related?
I was going for the foreign policy angle - causes of American involvement in WW2 and lack of involvement in issues that have less effect - genocide in countries like Rwanda and Sudan.

teh_Canape

May 18, 2010
brilliant, but really, people should really stop trying to hack the ps3, or shit will hit the fan with sony

refer to Critical Miss n34 panel 5

honestly guys, I'm about to get my own ps3 in 2 months and I dont wanna see that I wont even be able to play games =P

BlackWidower

Nov 16, 2009
Jumplion said:
BlackWidower said:
I don't remember signing a contract when I bought my laptop computer, or my Magic Bullet, or my Nintendo DS, and I doubt anyone who bought a PS3 will remember signing any contract either.
Erm, EULA [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EULA]? Terms of Service [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terms_of_Service]? You know, those things that nobody reads because they're way too long to sift through and just sign/hit "I accept these terms of conditions" or something without a second thought? Yeah, those things.

Just wanted to clear that up.
Has any court actually supported the legality of EULAs? From what I hear they haven't. Just because you say something is legally binding doesn't mean it is.

Now, as for terms of service. I thought we were talking about hardware. What service? The online service? Well then if they don't sign up for the online service then you have nothing.

BlackWidower

Nov 16, 2009
teh_Canape said:
brilliant, but really, people should really stop trying to hack the ps3, or shit will hit the fan with sony

refer to Critical Miss n34 panel 5

honestly guys, I'm about to get my own ps3 in 2 months and I dont wanna see that I wont even be able to play games =P
Don't bother, just get a kick ass gaming PC, that's where we're all heading anyways.

BlackWidower

Nov 16, 2009
amaranth_dru said:
gphjr14 said:
amaranth_dru said:
Thats what happens when you make online play free, it attracts hax0rs.
X box been charging for online and I seen torrents for their games all the time. Honestly the files for these games are so big people are probably better off just buying the game.

Whats funny is all the people that are gonna mess up their controllers and consoles in an attempt to get free games.

If Sony was smart they'd do like satellite companies do with those bootleg subscription cards, periodically send a signal out that fries consoles/controllers that have the modifications in it.
Oh of course there are Xbox hackers, but they tend to get left in the dust soon as MS figures out its a hacked box. Nothing like having the XBL banhammer come crashing down. I dislike console pirates, they remind me of how many people think they're entitled to get everything for free.
I'd love to see Sony/MS figure a way to kill the bios/firmware on these hacked machines and make them unusable. Yes, I support "greedy" corporations cuz I believe people deserve to get paid for their hard work and I would consider console/video game creation hard work. Also, investors deserve a profit return if its a well placed investment.
Wait, does Microsoft simply ban pirates from Xbox Live? I thought they brick your console remotely.

BlackWidower

Nov 16, 2009
ravenshrike said:
UberMore said:
oranger said:
Well...there's a line between modifying your own property and infringing on copyright....unless you're modding your ps3, then there's no copying being done, sooo....what's the big deal here?
Both groups (sony and the hackers) are within their rights here.
Hackers are really not within their rights. Hacking a PS3 has NOTHING to do with copyright, but it is tampering with a registered and protected product, modifying without the patentee's consent.
It's highly illegal, and if they bother taking it to court, Sony'll win so fast that the hacker'll wish they'd just got a sunday job and saved up £300, instead of the thousands the court fees'll cost.
Er, what? No, just no. At least, not in the US. You buy a physical product in the US you can modify it in any way that doesn't turn it into a firearm.
IT'S WHAT I'M SAYING! Canada too!

You know, thinking about it, it might be illegal in other countries, you know, the ones who hate freedom, and individual consumer rights.

teh_Canape

May 18, 2010
BlackWidower said:
Don't bother, just get a kick ass gaming PC, that's where we're all heading anyways.
I already have one, but it's not the same, I do want the ps3 =P

BlackWidower

Nov 16, 2009
teh_Canape said:
BlackWidower said:
I already have one, but it's not the same, I do want the ps3 =P
Okay, honest question, I'm not trying to troll or anything, but what exactly isn't the same? Is it the controls? You know you can just get a Bluetooth dongle and pair it up with a DualShock3 right?

I mean I assume. The thing does use Bluetooth.

teh_Canape

May 18, 2010
BlackWidower said:
Okay, honest question, I'm not trying to troll or anything, but what exactly isn't the same? Is it the controls? You know you can just get a Bluetooth dongle and pair it up with a DualShock3 right?

I mean I assume. The thing does use Bluetooth.
idk, it's just the feeling of getting something truly on my own, see, I was gonna buy with my own money, instead of asking for it =P

it's pretty personal

SimuLord

Whom Gods Annoy
Aug 20, 2008
Microsoft's approach is simplicity itself, which is why Sony's looking at copying it. Sometimes a simple checksum is all you need.

Uber Waddles

May 13, 2010
Personally Im a fan of the idea that if someone hacks your console, you should legally be allowed to break the internals via code or something, thus rendering the system useless. Hard to do, but it would send a message.

I give my kudos to Sony for making it this far, but trying to win a battle against hackers is just not possible. Its a losing battle; they will ALWAYS find a way to beat you.

The best you can do is massive purges *points to Microsoft* of people violating your rules.

Or make the USB hack/controller explode. SHOW THOSE HACKERS

cabalistics

May 4, 2009
Hackers will be hackers, the only thing that annoys me is Sony over reaction surely they have enough money to bribe/hire/put a hit on anyone who breaks their system.

I never installed linux on my ps3 but I was intrigued by the idea and I did'nt like that option being removed from me.

I'd love to see what homebrew software could be made to run on a ps3 maybe things sony never thought of. I don't think I'd be bothered with pirated games I like to show off my collection

mjc0961

YOU'RE a pie chart.
Nov 30, 2009
Oh good, so now we lose USB ports and Dualshock 3 controllers. I hope everyone really likes Move because that's going to be the only controller supported by PS3s soon. :p

icyneesan

Feb 28, 2010
That little science nerd in me finds Sony's arms race against piracy increadibly interesting and wants to read more news about it.

Korias

Sep 9, 2009
Jumplion said:
BlackWidower said:
I don't remember signing a contract when I bought my laptop computer, or my Magic Bullet, or my Nintendo DS, and I doubt anyone who bought a PS3 will remember signing any contract either.
Erm, EULA [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EULA]? Terms of Service [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terms_of_Service]? You know, those things that nobody reads because they're way too long to sift through and just sign/hit "I accept these terms of conditions" or something without a second thought? Yeah, those things.

Just wanted to clear that up.
I understand that with the PS3, you have to update your system/version if the system detects an update. Now, as far as I'm aware, the ToS doesnt have anything against the modifications of a system.

Think about it this way: I have a Launch PS3, which has a ridiculously small harddrive compared to the PS3 Slim. I want to upgrade my capacity without losing my backwards compatability, so therefore I decide to replace the hard drive with a larger one. This in itself is modding the console, and yet is perfectly legal to do. On an even larger scale, let's say that I want to put a 360 inside my computer. [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/7.230867-Ridiculous-Gaming-PC-Stuffs-Xbox-360-Into-the-Case-as-Well] In this example, I've completely cannibalized and freaking franeknstein'd it into my computer. And yet, in your example, this would prevent me from accessing the features of the system.

Now, while there is the definite "Those are simple, this is a piracy mod" argument to be made here, there is very little difference in modifying your console in such a way that you would be infringing upon some sort of EULA or ToS that will prevent you from playing games. That's one of the big things about the games industry: if we buy something, we are somehow not owners of that property. Even though we have the system, have paid full retail value for it, and have installed it in our own home, it's still the property of someone else.

Does anyone else see the issue in this? I recognize the need for a way to curb piracy, but outright banning the modification of a console is something that I would find to be a little bit nerve wracking.