PS3 Owners Are Pissing Me Off

HyenaThePirate

Jan 8, 2009
If Microsoft was smart, they'd offer a special deal right now.. trade in your PS3 and get $100 off of an Xbox elite or something.. imagine that, they'd be killing two birds with one stone.. they'd be increasing their owner base AND damaging their main competition.

Man, I guess I come from the old ruthless school of David Xanatos Business practices.

Adam Gadal

May 2, 2011
Miles Tormani said:
Adam Gadal said:
Here is the thing though, sure of what I mentioned there are only 2 PS3 exclusives, however are you going to spend the money to buy yourself an Xbox 360 and a 360 copy of all the games that are for both systems? If you have a PS3, and lets say 5 games, and you want to switch over to a 360 with the exact same 5 games, you're still going to have to spend at least $200+ because you are not going to get back 100% of the money you spent on everything for your PS3...

Which leads to another thing I don't understand. Where are the people that are doing this getting the money? Or are they just willing to throw more debt onto their credit cards for the convenience of being able to play multiplayer? It really doesn't make much practical sense imo
What I'm saying is that if the issue is online play, and most of your games are online compatible and/or multiplatform, there is not much loss to switching systems to continue to enjoy those games, aside from the money issue. Sure, you may not get most of your money back in the switch, but for someone who wants a reliable network that has proven itself to be more secure over the years, that's a small price to pay.

As for where they're getting the money, it's from working a job. It's not like everyone is given a set amount of money as soon as they gain buying power, and can never have more or less of that cash. I made a similar switch from Xbox to PS3 myself (my Xbox broke three times), and that's where I got the money. A job. Sure, I later got another Xbox and took better care of it, but the switch to PS3 was still somewhat worth it, because I never would've played some of the better exclusives on the PS3 if I hadn't.

That said, money is one of the big reasons a lot of people are making that switch. Information has been compromised on the Playstation Network. That information may potentially include your debit/credit card information, so keeping your trust in Sony may in fact cost you more than reissuing your card and getting the competing system. After all, there's no telling whether the hackers will immediately resume their attacks on PSN as soon as it's back up.

Also, your original post reeks of hypocrisy. You tell people not to switch from PS3 to Xbox, but if they're mad about not being able to play online, they should download games on their PC. As if everyone in the world has a PC powerful enough to match or exceed either system...
Okay fine, I'll give you the multiplatform online stuff. If you have the money, and are willing to put it forward to switch platforms to play the games, then fine you can do it.

The money concern I stated was for a couple reasons:
A) I myself am very careful with my money as I never have much of it
B) I never buy anything that has to do with gaming used because I want to make sure the developers get their due
I guess I just started running the figured through my head for a brand new Xbox 360, as well as the $300 +/- it would cost for the five before mentioned games, and I compared it to how much I would probably get for trading in my PS3 stuff.

As for me being a hypocrite with the PC comment...I have a PC that is now 8 years old. I can't even play Mass Effect on it, that's how bad the graphics card is. However I have still found plenty of free games that I can play on the PC, take League of Legends and Wolf Team for example. Just because I mentioned going to the PC doesn't mean I am expecting people to have a multi-thousand dollar system to do stuff with. There is so much you can do on an inexpensive PC. In fact, watch Extra Credit's episode on games you might not have heard of here on the Escapist. A whole bunch of great games (some of which are free) that you cna play on the PC and not need big requirements for :)

pulse2

May 10, 2008
I don't understand why people are bumping over either, what's done is done, its not like moving over to 360 will change the fact your details were stolen, nor are you any more secure because you went to 360. A hacker is a hacker and in groups they are capable of doing anything, once you are using the internet, you are never 100% safe from hackers unless you yourself are a hacker, plain and simple.

People that moan and whine about these things just need to stay off the internet, thats the easiest resolution, because even the governments and Nasa get hacked ¬_¬

MysticToast

Jul 28, 2010
I own a PS3 and I love it. I also haven't lost any respect or trust for Sony. While we wait for PSN to come back up, I've got plenty of offline games to spend my time with and it would be ridiculous for me to sell my PS3 and get a 360.

And good grief, people! Sony didn't "lose" the info. They got hacked.

Ubermetalhed

Sep 15, 2009
zehydra said:
"Why is it you NEED to play video games online?"

They don't need to, they want to, and if they got the PS3 in order to do this, it seems reasonable that they would switch to a more reliable system.

Nobody NEEDS to play video games, OP, why don't you try something new and learn piano or something?
Reliable system? Xbox? I don't think so. I find not having to get a replacement console every year quite refreshing.

Anyway, it's daft that some people are trading their consoles. PSN will be back soon and if they can't wait that long then there is something a bit odd with them. I think the word 'need' is then applicable to these people.

Besides if you've got a PC you have most of the xbox catalogue anyway.

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
Well, being a PS3 owner, I need to inform you that obviously not all of us are like this. But I think youy knew that.

Adam Gadal

May 2, 2011
MysticToast said:
I own a PS3 and I love it. I also haven't lost any respect or trust for Sony. While we wait for PSN to come back up, I've got plenty of offline games to spend my time with and it would be ridiculous for me to sell my PS3 and get a 360.

And good grief, people! Sony didn't "lose" the info. They got hacked.
^^^^^^^^^
That mirrors my thoughts that I was trying to voice. You did it in a lot less words though xD

Shirokurou

Mar 8, 2010
I'm having a blast with Yakuza 4 right now (PS3 exclusive also).
The quitters are just jumping the gun I guess.

Aug 1, 2010
I understand.

I see people CONSTANTLY that only game because they play online.

I often see ultra high ranking people in CoD and Halo that have never even gotten the tutorial achievement for single play.

If that's what you love, that's what you love and having a console that cannot do that for an unknown amount of time, I see where they are coming from.

In terms of PC, I'll tell you something that I had to work very hard to get over: PC gaming is terrifying.

I only recently got into it, having always been a console gamer, and although in truth, it's easy, it is still rather expensive and it APPEARED very complex.

Miles Tormani

Jul 30, 2008
Adam Gadal said:
Okay fine, I'll give you the multiplatform online stuff. If you have the money, and are willing to put it forward to switch platforms to play the games, then fine you can do it.

The money concern I stated was for a couple reasons:
A) I myself am very careful with my money as I never have much of it
B) I never buy anything that has to do with gaming used because I want to make sure the developers get their due
I guess I just started running the figured through my head for a brand new Xbox 360, as well as the $300 +/- it would cost for the five before mentioned games, and I compared it to how much I would probably get for trading in my PS3 stuff.

As for me being a hypocrite with the PC comment...I have a PC that is now 8 years old. I can't even play Mass Effect on it, that's how bad the graphics card is. However I have still found plenty of free games that I can play on the PC, take League of Legends and Wolf Team for example. Just because I mentioned going to the PC doesn't mean I am expecting people to have a multi-thousand dollar system to do stuff with. There is so much you can do on an inexpensive PC. In fact, watch Extra Credit's episode on games you might not have heard of here on the Escapist. A whole bunch of great games (some of which are free) that you cna play on the PC and not need big requirements for :)
Former Sony customers are also probably being careful with their money, IE, not wanting to leave it in the hands of hackers. Also, comparing used prices to new prices is largely irrelevant since the price difference is usually about $10. That said, frankly, sometimes a developer doesn't really deserve a single customer paying for the intellectual property twice, but that's a rant for another day.

Mass Effect is a piss poor example, by the way. My PC barely runs Warcraft 3. So League of Legends, Wolf Team, Torchlight, and various other games that you would bring up as non-intensive are not even options for a user such as myself, and getting a new PC (which may as well be the only option for an upgrade at this point) would be prohibitively more expensive than just getting a damn Xbox, especially since the logic behind getting a $500 PC for "free" games is quite flawed indeed.

Besides, let's say for the sake of example that one of the games I want to play online is AC: Brotherhood. Why the fuck would I want to go through that process-intensive DRM obstacle course Ubisoft set out, when it's both cheaper and more reliable to get the Xbox version?

kyoodle

Dec 4, 2009
tony2077 said:
EcksTeaSea said:
Its not a question of PSN down, its the matter of Sony's security was lax enough so that their information could be stolen. Trust is the problem, not PSN being down.
do you know for certain that there security was law enough for this to happen and not just the fact that the hacker was good. I'm not going to defend either side of this i just want the real truth which we may never get. there are 3 sides to every story!!
Apparently they were up to date:
http://bitmob.com/articles/detective-work-reveals-psn-servers-up-to-date

Condor219

Sep 14, 2010
Well most of the people affected are those COD players who play the majority of their time online, and if you're a person who's dedicated to online shooters, sure, go for the 360. They're a dime a dozen.

Said person must like losing money though. If they're that quick on the draw to switch to 360, why didn't they just get one in the first place? And if they're that committed to migrate to the 360, why didn't they, I dunno, JUST BUY A 360 and not sell the PS3 and games library off for cheap?

Anyway, I personally stick to PS3 single player stuff. COD is good and all, but not worth 80% of my gaming time.

Adam Gadal

May 2, 2011
MrDeckard said:
In terms of PC, I'll tell you something that I had to work very hard to get over: PC gaming is terrifying.

I only recently got into it, having always been a console gamer, and although in truth, it's easy, it is still rather expensive and it APPEARED very complex.
I can understand how PC gaming can seem terrifying. I had a friend who voiced the same thoughts when he went from console to PC gaming. Basically he went from having the controls of a console controller to have a keyboard and mouse.....so many more buttons :p

Adam Gadal

May 2, 2011
Miles Tormani said:
Former Sony customers are also probably being careful with their money, IE, not wanting to leave it in the hands of hackers. Also, comparing used prices to new prices is largely irrelevant since the price difference is usually about $10. That said, frankly, sometimes a developer doesn't really deserve a single customer paying for the intellectual property twice, but that's a rant for another day.

Mass Effect is a piss poor example, by the way. My PC barely runs Warcraft 3. So League of Legends, Wolf Team, Torchlight, and various other games that you would bring up as non-intensive are not even options for a user such as myself, and getting a new PC (which may as well be the only option for an upgrade at this point) would be prohibitively more expensive than just getting a damn Xbox, especially since the logic behind getting a $500 PC for "free" games is quite flawed indeed.
You can hardly run Warcraft 3? Seriously? o.o
What are you running Windows 98? =S

kortin

Mar 18, 2011
I've said it once, and I'll say it again.

IF you are going to be mad at Sony, you should be mad that they didn't tell you that your personal information could have been stolen immediately. NOT because they got fucking hacked. If its like Sony says, their security system was up to date, so if you are pissed because they got hacked, you should probably grow up.

Phoenixmgs_v1legacy

Muse of Fate
Sep 1, 2010
Adam Gadal said:
the reason this is just aggravating right now is because most of the arguments I continue to hear are, "Well I can't play online with the PSN down, so I'm getting a 360 where I'll be able to play my games online." <<<<<<<THIS LINE OF REASONING IS WHAT CONFUSES ME!!!!!!!!

Why is it you NEED to play video games online? There are SO many things you can do offline. I mean there are so many good new games you can play; Mortal Kombat (sorry Australians :( ), Portal 2, Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood, LittleBigPlanet2. Geeze, that is only naming some new releases. There is also older stuff like God of War (1-3), LittleBigPlanet, Assassin's Creed (1/2), Heavy Rain, heck even devil May Cry 4 if it fits your fancy!
I agree, just go to GFaqs and people on the PS3 board don't know what to do with themselves, truly sad IMO. The only thing I've missed with PSN being is playing Metal Gear Online with my clan, but it's not a huge deal. I couldn't even jump ship to the 360 to play Metal Gear Online, and even if I could, I'd then have to pay a bullshit $60/year to play a game for 8 hours a week in which Konami is running the dedicated servers, I'd pay Konami money to play Metal Gear Online but not Microsoft or Sony.

Single player games can be (and usually are) superior to online games because there's several mechanics that you can't do in an online environment like time manipulation and animation canceling. You can't really build your character in an online game because you don't want beginners to be anymore dominated than they already are.

EcksTeaSea said:
Trust is the problem, not PSN being down.
How so? We don't even know if they got card information. They got your name, address, and stuff but it's not like that information is hard to get anyways. I got a new debit card just in case and it took me about a minute to do via my bank's website. I'm not worried at all about anything, I don't see why anyone else would be. Plus, you know Sony is going to be on the ball with security due to this so what's not to trust.

Pearwood

Mar 24, 2010
If I could borrow a 360 I would until PSN comes back but I don't care enough to spend £200. Not being able to buy some DLC that's caught my eye is a pain but I've got Lambda-11 and Rachel Alucard to master til then :)

Miles Tormani

Jul 30, 2008
Adam Gadal said:
You can hardly run Warcraft 3? Seriously? o.o
What are you running Windows 98? =S
All you can respond with is a snarky comment?

This conversation is over. I don't think I can stand to hear anymore fanboy logic today.

Snowalker

Nov 8, 2008
Miles Tormani said:
You talk about all these things you can do with a PS3 even with the network down, yet only cite two exclusive games that can be totally enjoyed offline.

The irony.
How is that Irony? Not like by definition, I'm not a grammar nazi. But how is it? his entire point is you don't have to be online to enjoy games, especially if its merely temporary. How is the fact its available on the xbox differ from this? He said that if you never cared for the PS3 more than the Xbox, and you've lost trust in Sony, he understood. He's indicating that the PS3 is still a decent console regardless of internet... So by simply stating games that don't require internet to be fun.. regardless of its availability on other consoles.. he's supporting his argument.

Zipa

batlh bIHeghjaj.
Dec 19, 2010
Shouldn't this thread be called EX PS3 owners are pissing me off?