PS3 Will Outsell 360: EA Report

Junaid Alam

Apr 10, 2007
PS3 Will Outsell 360: EA Report

Electronic Arts' sales estimates for hardware in 2008 has the Wii leading the way, but also posits a PS3 lead over the Xbox 360.

According to EA's calculations, the PS3 will move between 5 and 6 million units in Europe, compared to a paltry 1.5 to 2.5 million units for the 360. It also predicts a tie in North America with each console moving between 4.5 to 5.5 million units. The report puts the Nintendo Wii's number at a combined total of between 12 and 14 million units sold. Total home console sales, then, add up to between 31.4 and 38.4 million units, according to EA's analysis.

The company also expects the Nintendo DS to extend its dominance over the PSP by a 2-to-1 margin, or 14 and 16 million units sold compared to 6 to 8 million units sold.

Source: Gamesindustry.biz [http://www.gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php?aid=32686]

Spinwhiz

Oct 8, 2007
The only reason the PS3 is going to start doing better is the fact that everyone thinks Blu-Ray has finally won the HD war (it's still not over, but it doesn't look good for HD-DVD). If they want to sell more, put some better games out for it. Is it really that hard to understand?

mastersppd

Feb 4, 2008
I'm not sure why anyone would even care which console outsells which console. It doesn't affect us either way if we already own one or all of those systems. I can see if someone was trying to decide which one to get, but even then, if just comes down to the games. Now and days (if you have friends) people will buy the system that is more frequently owned by their fellow gamer buds. If all your friends have Xbox Live, why would you waste your time on the PSN? Graphical differences are negligible at best when looking at multi-platform games.

m_jim

Jan 14, 2008
I'm a bit disappointed to read this. I really was hoping that the PS3 would continue to tank, not because I'm a 360 fanboy (I was PS, PS2 all the way), but because I figured that if it did, maybe Konami would port Metal Gear to XBox and I wouldn't have to buy a damn PS3 to play it.

LyonLee

Aug 30, 2007
This is practically meaningless. The only reason the PS3 is expected to perform better in sales is because everybody already has a 360. Halo 3, Mass Effect, Gears of War, etc., all boosted the sales of the 360, but that's now over. Now PS3 has MGS4, FF13, Uncharted, etc., which will boost their sales.
A simple, perfectly understandable swing in their favor, especially since they were expecting their meteoric rise to occur a year ago.

Also: completely unrelated, my grandfather's 80th birthday was last night. A good friend of his got him a Wii. I'm so proud!

Arbre

Jan 13, 2007
j-e-f-f-e-r-s said:
1 and a half million? For the whole of Europe? Are they serious? That's a paltry figure, and one I'm highly cynical of.
They're possibly talking about the yearly sales, from january 2007 to january 2008. Cumulating the sales for a whole year, from UK, France, Germany, Spain and else, we get around 1.5 million units.

The PS3 may get a good boost now that the hits are about to come out, but like the 360, the PS3 will reach plateaus.

EDIT: reading the full data from the source, here's what's said:

"...EA expects the PlayStation 3 to sell between 5 and 6 million units across the year, compared to just 1.5-2.5 million for the Xbox 360."

So that's clearly a yearly estimate. Now, huh, 5-6 M just in one year?

stompy

Jan 21, 2008
Frankly, sales figures, like some people are point out, are kinda a moot point with people buying the PS3 because they might already have the 360 or they are using it for Blu-ray. What I want is some figures on the attach rate for the consoles (the amount of games the average owner of each console has). You have to remember that for the PS3 and 360, the software is what's bringing them money, so console figures isn't so important.

stompy

Jan 21, 2008
Indigo_Dingo said:
And to the guy who says they either have it for Blu-Ray only or they also have a 360 - you're basing this on what, exactly?
Are you talking to me? I wouldn't know, since my username isn't 'the guy...'.

Though, upon reading the paragraph, you're right. I have no statistic to back that claim, so I've changed it. That being said, it's a possibility, just like people buying the PS3 to play games on it.

Again, this is why I request some attach rate figures. Meh.

stompy

Jan 21, 2008
Indigo_Dingo said:
But is it likely? I severely doubt it.
I can neither support nor refute that statement without cold, hard evidence, which unfortunately isn't given from this thread. If you have something else you'd like to share and contribute to the thread, then by all means go ahead.

ElArabDeMagnifico

Dec 20, 2007
Wait what happened to Microsoft's crystal ball? I heard them say "The 360 will outsell the PS3 by the end of this console generation" - I mean, come on, they said it in public - it's gotta be true!

...right?

Bah, game politics...

m_jim

Jan 14, 2008
stompy said:
Indigo_Dingo said:
But is it likely? I severely doubt it.
I can neither support nor refute that statement without cold, hard evidence, which unfortunately isn't given from this thread. If you have something else you'd like to share and contribute to the thread, then by all means go ahead.
You want evidence? I've got it right here, the cold, hard numbers...
http://gamer.blorge.com/2008/04/27/xbox-360-leads-software-attach-rate-even-the-wii-beats-ps3/
Make of that what you all will.

meatloaf231

Old Man Glenn
Feb 13, 2008
You know, it doesn't matter anymore. It could mean less if one outsold the other.

Before you read the below statement, know that I had the PS2, and really really wanted a PS3. I wanted it to do well so badly. I just couldn't afford a 600 dollar system. Heck, I am mainly a PC gamer anyhows.

The 360 has FF13 now. Even if the PS3 outsells the 360, it still lost one of it's biggest exclusives. The PS3 would win with (pardon my french) a dick in it's mouth. Sure, it's a victory, but oh the shame...

Then again none of us can predict the future - well maybe Anarchemitis can - so we don't really know what is going to happen. Maybe this will pull the PS3 ahead.

EDIT: Oh my gosh read the above post. Holy crap that makes me laugh so hard. There is now no longer any argument as to whether or not the 360 is winning. I use the term "winning" loosely and regretfully, as it will probably start a flame war.

I know it is just the American figures, but nobody cares about anyone who isn't America [/sarcasm]

sma_warrior

Jan 23, 2008
Indigo_Dingo said:
ElArabDeMagnifico said:
Wait what happened to Microsoft's crystal ball? I heard them say "The 360 will outsell the PS3 by the end of this console generation" - I mean, come on, they said it in public - it's gotta be true!

...right?

Bah, game politics...
I think that was based on their first year of sales and the trends illustrated by that., which showed strong sales in the 360, but none in the ps3. Who could have forseen that it would turn around like this?
I did (not that I have any proof of the matter...) Didn't see the Wii doing the sorts of numbers it is though.