PS4 Impressions

Rawbeard

Jan 28, 2010
Now the xbox one on the other hand is exactly the same, costs 500 hundred dollars and watches you masturbate. And if you are petty renders games in shit resolution.

News at eleven: Console launches suck. It's even possible to sell a console that does not play games without a day one online patch. Have fun! :D

DrOswald

Apr 22, 2011
Metalrocks said:
lol, wanst it the same thing with the ps3 that hardly any games were out for it?
This is basically how it goes for all console launches ever. Most of them don't have any good launch titles and the few that do usually only have 1 good title.

faefrost

Jun 2, 2010
The_Echo said:
Metalrocks said:
lol, wanst it the same thing with the ps3 that hardly any games were out for it?
Yes. And the PSP, and the Vita, and the 3DS, and the Wii U.

Console launches kind of... are not good. But early adopters are necessary if we're ever going to get the games we want, despite how unwise a decision some think it might be.
The problem is while Launch Day is important for the hardware makers, the AAA publishers really don't want to be involved. At least not with their A list product. There aren't enough customers out there today to make their game launch day worthwhile yet. Remember the high margin high profit point of new game sales is a 30 day window from release. After that the steady progression to the discount bin begins. The publishers want the highest possible installed user base on the hardware before they throw out any games that they have spent big money developing. The early hardware launch day adopters? They have already proven themselves morons who will buy anything promising NEW BETTER AND MORE POLYGONS. So they get colorful yet crappy games. They hold back the good stuff until after Christmas, when little Billy has his new console from Grandma and is ready to start picking his own games.

This hits every console. About the only real exception was XBox has traditionally sacrificed a Halo title to the alter of hardware sales. Nintendo is particularly two faced about this. Nintendo themselves hold back their best software on their new consoles release in the hopes for a deeper user base when it does release. That's why no Zelda or Mario or Samus.

Foolery

No.
Jun 5, 2013
Not a big deal really. Too complicated as well. The cell architecture of the PS3 just makes backwards compatibility a huge hassle. I'm glad they're switching over to x86. Should make development easier. Besides, my PS3 isn't going anywhere, just like my PS2. If I want to return to them, I can.

an874

Jul 17, 2009
Metalrocks said:
Yeah, but I believe earlier versions were backwards compatible with ps2 games.

Quellist

Migratory coconut
Oct 7, 2010
So true and for this reason the PS4 that i preordered back in April can go on eBay and make me some cash instead!

Doug

Apr 23, 2008
TechTim said:
Awesome! can't wait for the XBOX 1 impressions
The same, expect that the Microsoft executives are still boo'ed and hissed for the things they tried to do.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Darth_Payn said:
Exactly. I admit the joke must have flown over my head, because I'm sure there SOME games to play at launch, like the new Killzone, the new Batman, or Assassin's Creed IV.
All Erin/Grey said is "worth playing."

I mean, you could probably slice it a few ways, but AssCreed and Batman are available for other consoles, like the PS3 and 360. They're also getting relatively lackluster scores. I say 'relatively' because aggregates in the 70s are still good, but for blockbuster franchises, they're kind of surprising.

Since games are the driving reason to get one, I take it to be basically a commentary on the lack of any specific reason to buy games for it. But I also don't know how other people would slice 'worth playing.'

It's a bit harder to gauge than other merits/flaws of a system.

But I take the joke as a commentary that there's nothing really pushing the new console over the old one, and that's worsened by a lack of backwards compatibility. I could, however, be wrong, as I am only ONE of the fictional voices in Erin's head....>.>

Vault Citizen

May 8, 2008
Metalrocks said:
Pretty much, the only original titles that were getting very much attention were resistance fall of man and motor storm. It feels like a lifetime ago.

Arawn

Dec 18, 2003
Games I want to play on PS4; Watch_Dogs (delayed to 2014) inFamous Second Son (2014) Destiny (2014) The Division (2014) Thief (2014) Dying Light (2014) and The Order (2014) So can't say I'm thrilled with the line up, but the next year has plenty for me to like. So yeah for me "not worth playing" is close to accurate. But that's all opinion in the end, not every game is pure gold and release games get more scrutiny than airport baggage. There's little doubt in my minde that the same will be done to the Xbox One games. I was interested in Knack, but after playing it at Best Buy I dropped it off my "wish list" It's not a bad game, but I was left just wanting more. Not a game to wow people in any sense of the word. It's safe,feels average. Everyone (myself included) wants something beyond what we have now with PS3/360. Despite how pretty these games are looking, they don't feel "new" Here's hopping that in the coming months the devs will step up their efforts to use everything the systems can offer. FYI for Xbox One I'm looking forwards to Dead Rising and Titan Fall. Pretty much the reason I'm going PS4 over Xbox One. My friend will buy the X-1 and I'll buy the games I want to play. Seems a fair deal.

Weaver

Overcaffeinated
Apr 28, 2008
This is while I'll be buying one in a year or two instead of now.
Killzone looks okay but I'm terrible at FPS games with a controller.

MacNille said:
That was not funny. At all. I have seen post on 4chan that are smarter then this one. The name critical miss is a good name for this webcomic. It always miss comedy.
Critical Miss is a fantastic name.
It's a play on the gaming term "Critical Hit" while at the same time describing Erin's profession as a game reviewer: She's a Critical Miss or Ms. Critical if you will.