PS4 Launch Titles are (Surprisingly) not getting good reviews

TomWiley

Jul 20, 2012
I wouldn't call it surprising.

Shadow Fall always looked like a mediocre turd, albeit a very pretty looking mediocre turd.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Mr C said:
Casual Shinji said:
Launch games are always not great.
Not picking on this chap in particular, but this is a common theme throughout this thread. You all must be young whipper snappers as I remember Super Mario World and Super Mario 64 being launch titles. They were both awesome, they still are!
I wasn't gaming as extensively then as I am now. And Nintendo is usually the odd man out in regards to launch games. Usually.

Battenberg

Browncoat
Aug 16, 2012
Hazy992 said:
In what world is a 74 a bad game? If a game that I'm interested in has a score like 74 then it tells me that I should still check it out.
In a world where 8/10 is an average AAA score. Do you not recall the backlash Greg Tito got for giving GTA 5 a 7/10?

OT: I know launch titles are typically of far lower quality than what will come to be the average but I did expect this gens launch titles to be better than usual given that they are literally the only games you'll be able to play when the console launches and given that they will have had absolutely enormous budgets/ funding. Of course that said there are only 17/18 reviews for Knack/ Killzone respectively so it's early days, there may well be a huge swing in review scores in future reviews or they may just be the kind of games that don't get stellar reviews but end up with high user scores.

TheLastFeeder

Oct 29, 2012
Hazy992 said:
In what world is a 74 a bad game? If a game that I'm interested in has a score like 74 then it tells me that I should still check it out.
On Metacritic there are more games with a score of 90 and higher then than 40 and lower released this year, Just under 50% of games have a meta critic score of 75 and up... You can more or less take 5 of the final score and use the scores like a five star rating.

75 is the real average score. Killzone: Shadow Fall is getting worse reviews than Train Simulator 2014.

So to answer your first question: Our world.

MrHide-Patten

Jun 10, 2009
I'll only start crying when inFamous Second Son gets mediocre reviews. I fucking call it that sales will shoot up in Q1 when it's released, and I would have honestly have liked to have seen something from Insomniac or Naughty Dog.
Killzone looked alright and the previous ones played alrighy, but they've never been a system seller for me personally.

Probably going to get a PS4 a Christmas due to have nothing else to get for myself.

MrHide-Patten

Jun 10, 2009
Robert Kalmar said:
I'm sorry, but I have to do this. "Sony is DOOOOOMED, there are no GAAAAAAAMES! They should stick to making cd players and TVs!". I thinks it's unfair that there are only dumb Nintendo doomsayers. Seriously, i'm not that surprised. Outside of FF15 and MGS5 I didn't found anything interesting in the upcoming library of games for the PS4 and I would say that there is a 99% chance that they will be ported to the PC. PC is the fastest growing market these days and I think MGS5 is already announced for PC and Nomura said, that they are making FF15 for the PC, then downgrade it for the consoles. My prediction is that the PS4's sales won't meet Sony's or anybody else's (read: Sony fanboys) expectations. They will be higher, than the Wii U's, but not that amazing.
Must. Resist. Fanboy urge. To cuss you out. BLARRG!

That's all well fine and for you not to find particular games interesting and thus system is doomed without them, but other people have different tastes. People love the shit out of Angry Birds enough to justify make sequels than there are Nintendo generations, doesn't mean I have to like it.

And to use one that's a bit closer to home, I didn't feel compelled to buy a 3DS or just Pokemon again, that's justifiable to a lot of people (as the sales have proven) not myself personally.

The reason there are Nintendo doomsayers is because: a) there isn't a Wii Sports to suck in the casuals and gimmick isn't as esay to sell, b) it's been buggerising around for a year now with without the big franchises to boost sales, and c) the hardware gap between it an the Xbone/PS4 is steep enough that it's going to/is driving away 3rd party games.

Sorry to jump up your ass on your first post but... yeah.

luvd1

Jan 25, 2010
Meh. As pointed out, a stellar launch line up is pretty unique. But buying on day one of a new console isn't really about the games and more to show support for the potential of the console. People can have a dig at early adapters for having more money then sense but if it's not for them showing faith through investment then we wouldn't get the games in the future. Sure the first batch of games will be doo doo and the console will be a bit buggy, but it's the future your looking at.
Not that I'm making excuses for Sony. It's just the way new consoles go.

Thr33X

Aug 23, 2013
Here's a history lesson for you. Launch titles, ESPECIALLY first party launch titles...suck. Sony has historically only released one or two first party games at launch of of each of the previous generations and only in the case of the PS1 which saw Battle Arena Toshinden and Wipeout were their real standouts that became Playstation franchises. (I still dream of a current gen Toshinden...how beautiful would that be...but Sony might have Street Fighter all to themselves now, so...)

The rest of their launch lineups were third party games, and in that mostly games in already established franchises with exception of PS1 era games which were all mostly start-up IPs. This is really nothing new. Killzone, for what it's worth isn't exactly one of Sony's A-list franchises anyway compared to Infamous, Uncharted and God Of War.

The ratings mean nothing, except of course that game "critics" are fickle...but we all know that already. The best is still yet to come.

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
Only launch game I ever cared about was Oblivion (which is literally the reason why I got a 360). Ofcourse it was the only time I was aware of launch games, since I got a PS2 late, and I wasn't aware of how games were when I got my N64. (Back then I learned and bought games based on box covers while browsing Toys R' Us)

Though I suppose CoD: Ghosts will be my first game regardless if I go PS4 or Xbox One.

seditary

Aug 17, 2008
I've actually been reading the Killzone reviews out of curiosity and pretty much all of them (lawl Polygon) say its decent to pretty good.

Not going to get many release day titles that end up even doing as good as that.

Apr 24, 2008
Killzone is reviewing well most places. Not surprised about knack.

Nba 2k14 is enough alone to hold my interest in getting a PS4. I already love the series and the PS4 version looks slick as anything.

Rob Robson

Feb 21, 2013
Hazy992 said:
Yeah but a 74 is not enough to convince non-target-audience gamers to pick it up. Which is what most bloated publishers aim for. Universal appeal.

Hell, if you're a huge fan of something 6/10 will be enough.

jackpipsam

SEGA fanboy
Jun 2, 2009
Not shocked about Killzone.
The series has always been more tech-demo than game.

Knack is a shame though.

Robert Kalmar

Feb 3, 2012
MrHide-Patten said:
Robert Kalmar said:
I'm sorry, but I have to do this. "Sony is DOOOOOMED, there are no GAAAAAAAMES! They should stick to making cd players and TVs!". I thinks it's unfair that there are only dumb Nintendo doomsayers. Seriously, i'm not that surprised. Outside of FF15 and MGS5 I didn't found anything interesting in the upcoming library of games for the PS4 and I would say that there is a 99% chance that they will be ported to the PC. PC is the fastest growing market these days and I think MGS5 is already announced for PC and Nomura said, that they are making FF15 for the PC, then downgrade it for the consoles. My prediction is that the PS4's sales won't meet Sony's or anybody else's (read: Sony fanboys) expectations. They will be higher, than the Wii U's, but not that amazing.
Must. Resist. Fanboy urge. To cuss you out. BLARRG!

That's all well fine and for you not to find particular games interesting and thus system is doomed without them, but other people have different tastes. People love the shit out of Angry Birds enough to justify make sequels than there are Nintendo generations, doesn't mean I have to like it.

And to use one that's a bit closer to home, I didn't feel compelled to buy a 3DS or just Pokemon again, that's justifiable to a lot of people (as the sales have proven) not myself personally.

The reason there are Nintendo doomsayers is because: a) there isn't a Wii Sports to suck in the casuals and gimmick isn't as esay to sell, b) it's been buggerising around for a year now with without the big franchises to boost sales, and c) the hardware gap between it an the Xbone/PS4 is steep enough that it's going to/is driving away 3rd party games.

Sorry to jump up your ass on your first post but... yeah.
Actually I was joking and making fun of the Anti-Nintendo Squad. It's just so stupid to say doom and gloom about a hardware that's not even 1 year old. PS3 had a bad first year, 3DS had a bad first year, yet both of them came around, when good software is released. Maybe the PS4 is much stronger, but until the games are released for the current gen machines I wouldn't predict total dominance of the PS4. Until CoD, Battlefield, FIFA and Madden is released on PS3/Xbox360 people won't care to buy a new console. Most people won't even notice the difference in graphics... It's not like last gen, when the polygon count quadrupled and every game has fancy shader effects.

lylemcd

Oct 2, 2009
Hazy992 said:
In a world where anything less than 10/10 "Metal Gear is a PERFECT GAME" by paid off reviewers is unacceptable is where.

Private Custard

Dec 30, 2007
Evonisia said:
They're launch titles, of course they aren't going to be received well. Which console has had a good start/decent launch titles? I've heard that the Dreamcast did but we all know how that turned out.
Sega Megadrive/Genesis - Golden Axe.

SNES - Pilotwings, F-Zero, Super Mario World.

Playstation - Wipeout.

N64 - Super Mario 64, Pilotwings 64.

PS2 - Unreal Tournament, Timesplitters, Tekken Tag, Ready 2 Rumble Boxing: Round 2.

XBox - Halo, PGR, JSRF, Oddworld: Munch's Oddysee, Max Payne.

360 - COD2, Condemned, PGR3.

At launch, you generally have decent enough quality to live with until devs really get their shit together. A lot of the games above are absolute classics.

Mr C

May 8, 2008
Thr33X said:
Here's a history lesson for you. Launch titles, ESPECIALLY first party launch titles...suck. Sony has historically only released one or two first party games at launch of of each of the previous generations and only in the case of the PS1 which saw Battle Arena Toshinden and Wipeout were their real standouts that became Playstation franchises.
Forgive me if I am reading this wrong, but neither of those titles were first party. Both actually came out for the Sega Saturn. Wipeout was by Psygnosis, though the franchise was purchased by Sony later. Toshinden was by Tamsoft and actually got a Gameboy release in addition to the Saturn and PC.

GoaThief

Reinventing the Spiel
Feb 2, 2012
josemlopes said:
WeepingAngels said:
So why did so many pre-order a PS4 knowing that launch titles suck?
Because they are idiots that need to have the new shiny gadget. There are still a shitload of games coming to this gen, some even exclusive like Dark Souls 2 or Gran Turismo 6.
So I'm an idiot? Nice.

I'll give you a little hint, nobody has to justify themselves to you, especially with that attitude. Without people like me, the industry would collapse.