PS4 Launch Titles are (Surprisingly) not getting good reviews

FrozenLaughs

Sep 9, 2013
9.833946.20419583 said:
josemlopes said:
WeepingAngels said:
So why did so many pre-order a PS4 knowing that launch titles suck?
Because they are idiots that need to have the new shiny gadget. There are still a shitload of games coming to this gen, some even exclusive like Dark Souls 2 or Gran Turismo 6.
So I'm an idiot? Nice.

I'll give you a little hint, nobody has to justify themselves to you, especially with that attitude. Without people like me, the industry would collapse.
Without people like you, maybe the industry would learn to slow the fuck down and put some quality control into what they do instead of redesigning and patching everything.

I never needed to replace a console or patch a game before this generation. (barring mmos)

josemlopes

Jun 9, 2008
GoaThief said:
josemlopes said:
WeepingAngels said:
Because they are idiots that need to have the new shiny gadget. There are still a shitload of games coming to this gen, some even exclusive like Dark Souls 2 or Gran Turismo 6.
So I'm an idiot? Nice.

I'll give you a little hint, nobody has to justify themselves to you, especially with that attitude. Without people like me, the industry would collapse.
I know that there needs to be people to buy the console for devs to publish on said console, its that whole problem that all consoles go through but they really could give out some more incentive to buy a console at launch then just "You get to play it first".

The Xbox 360 launched with only a 20GB hard drive and now the default version comes with 250GB, the PS4 came out with 500GB (400GB of usable space, for some reason 100GB are locked out, maybe OS?), like with the 360 you will have to shell out more money later on that a new buyer wont (as a launch buyer you are already putting yourself in a position where you will have to pay more later on), Sony and Microsoft know this so isnt there anything they could do to convince that maybe you can get the same quality deal as the late buyer since they are so dependent on you?

Yes there is but they wont do anything since the PS4 already sold a million units so they dont have anything to worry about.

For example, why not have a founders deal where if you bought the console during its launch window you would get an additional 10% discount on all PSN+/XBLG discounted products? It may not sound much but for the long term the loyal costumer that supported them at launch would get enough saved money to justify the need of having to buy a new hard drive later on. They would still get your money since you would be paying for the product (even at a discounted price) and for the online service (PSN+/XBLG) but just not as much for the trade of getting a bigger playerbase on their console.

Tom_green_day

Jan 5, 2013
Why is this a surprise? A kids game and an FPS sequel as the ONLY TWO EXCLUSIVES?
Really, I want to like the PS4 but such a shockingly poor launch lineup just makes me hate it. Games to me are everything. I'm not going to buy a PS4 yet because of them. Really, a game for children made up of triangles and an fps sequel that was so boring I couldn't watch through the demo? No, I'll give them a miss thanks. Ryse and Dead Rising for me.

Korten12

Now I want ma...!
Aug 26, 2009
Twenty Ninjas said:
Korten12 said:
josemlopes said:
WeepingAngels said:
Right... Because no one should buy a launch console, so it can burn... People do realize that SOMEONE needs to buy a console at launch. If no one did, it would die... Do people not understand this?
Wait, are you saying we have some sort of moral obligation to spend hard-earned money on sub-par products?

Please tell me you didn't just use that rationale.
Please tell me you actually understood what I said? Because you clearly didn't. Do you know why consoles like the Vita struggle? Low player base, there's only so much a company can do to drive sales up to get more games made on a system. If everyone agreed to not buy a console at launch, there would a low install base, therefore companies wouldn't put the time and effort into a dead console.

Hell it's the reason why the Wii U is struggling right now, it has a low install base and 3rd party support is dropping.

But apparently that's what people want, they want a low amount of people to buy consoles at launch so that there is lower support because you know. Logic.

I mean dear god South Park's latest episode understood this better than most people who surround themselves with gaming!

Edit: Also to make something more clear before it get's brought up... While yes, the original Wii did in fact sell a shit ton, but still didn't have third party support is for another reason all together. Whereas on other consoles third party titles sell well, typically on Nintendo consoles they fare quite poorly, only really Nintendo games sell well. Considering many of the users of the Wii were casual (not saying that casual is bad, mind you), and most likely didn't pay attention to many of the third party games outside a few, the console lost much support in terms of third party.

Not to mention the power issue.

GoaThief

Reinventing the Spiel
Feb 2, 2012
FrozenLaughs said:
9.833946.20419583 said:
josemlopes said:
WeepingAngels said:
So I'm an idiot? Nice.

Without people like you, maybe the industry would learn to slow the fuck down and put some quality control into what they do instead of redesigning and patching everything.

I never needed to replace a console or patch a game before this generation. (barring mmos)
I can't remember the last time a game I played absolutely required s patch out of the gate to work without major trouble. I remember the late 90s on PC with user made patches to fix problems as companies often did nothing. Even the NES had major issues with a ejection spring. Things have got better, if anything.

Spare me the hyperbole, please. If you don't like something then don't buy it, that simple and the only way to get your message out. Don't insult others for their choice of luxury entertainment products, eh.

Korten12

Now I want ma...!
Aug 26, 2009
Twenty Ninjas said:
Korten12 said:
Please tell me you actually understood what I said? Because you clearly didn't. Do you know why consoles like the Vita struggle? Low player base, there's only so much a company can do to drive sales up to get more games made on a system. If everyone agreed to not buy a console at launch, there would a low install base, therefore companies wouldn't put the time and effort into a dead console.

Hell it's the reason why the Wii U is struggling right now, it has a low install base and 3rd party support is dropping.

But apparently that's what people want, they want a low amount of people to buy consoles at launch so that there is lower support because you know. Logic.

I mean dear god South Park's latest episode understood this better than most people who surround themselves with gaming!

Edit: Also to make something more clear before it get's brought up... While yes, the original Wii did in fact sell a shit ton, but still didn't have third party support is for another reason all together. Whereas on other consoles third party titles sell well, typically on Nintendo consoles they fare quite poorly, only really Nintendo games sell well. Considering many of the users of the Wii were casual (not saying that casual is bad, mind you), and most likely didn't pay attention to many of the third party games outside a few, the console lost much support in terms of third party.

Not to mention the power issue.
If you don't think I understood what you said then why should I tell you that I did.

If the companies want us to buy our products, it's the companies' responsibility to have good games that we can play on them or some other incentive for purchase. It is, in no way, shape or form, our responsability to buy their stuff. That's how it's worked since forever, and what you're saying makes no goddamn sense.

The Wii U is struggling because it's not good enough. That's the reality of it. I'm not the one who should do something if the Wii U's struggling, Nintendo is.

edit: accidentally read Wii U as Vita
But does the PS4 currently not have good games? That's kind of a funny thing, reviews say: "Not any games worth playing" but isn't that really fucking subjective? I got games for mine, I love the games I have for it. Sure they aren't "next-gen gameplay" (what ever the hell that even means), but honestly it doesn't actually have a bad launch line up, same for the XBO.

Anyway, you say that it's their responsability, but your also misguided. A company can only do so much before it also falls in the hands of the consumers. A company can try and try but if they don't get consumers they're going to stop. With the PS4 selling 1 million at launch in North America alone is great?

Why is it? Because now it's going to become a target for many game developers. They see a very large player base and they will release their games on it. First Parties can only do so much, and really the Wii U has proved that. Nintendo has actually put out a good number of good games on the Wii U but it's still not being picked up as fast.

If the Wii U had sold as many as the PS4 at launch last year, it would be in a MUCH better situation right now than it is now.

To put it simply, this is all a balancing act. Consumers and the Companies need to balance each other out. One can't support the other, they need to work together.

DanielBrown

Dangerzone!
Dec 3, 2010
Yeah, I'll go with the train; 74 isn't bad. The rating system have gone a bit out of control. Not every good game has to have 9-10/10. These days it seems everything below eight is considered average and worthless. 7,4/10 I'd consider a great game. 5-6 is where it starts to go average.

But yes, I had a quick look at the launch titles the other day to see what I was missing out on and from the looks of it there was pretty much only sports games. Didn't find a single game that was intresting to me.

FrozenLaughs

Sep 9, 2013
GoaThief said:
FrozenLaughs said:
9.833946.20419583 said:
josemlopes said:
WeepingAngels said:
So I'm an idiot? Nice.

I can't remember the last time a game I played absolutely required s patch out of the gate to work without major trouble. I remember the late 90s on PC with user made patches to fix problems as companies often did nothing. Even the NES had major issues with a ejection spring. Things have got better, if anything.

Spare me the hyperbole, please. If you don't like something then don't buy it, that simple and the only way to get your message out. Don't insult others for their choice of luxury entertainment products, eh.
Hmmm. Never saw systems redesigned due to poor design before the 360 and PS3. Referencing a nearly non existant spring issue as "major" is laughable. Everyone still has an NES buried in a box that still works, 30 yrs later.

As for patching, you certainly couldn't patch a cartridge back in the day, but how many needed them? I remember just after the launch of Super Mario 3 waiting for them to fix the multiplayer. Oh wait, no I don't.

Name one title you've played recently that didn't get at least 1 title update before you played. Just because a game isn't crippled by lack of a patch (as some are) needing a patch to fix some flawed portion of the game is just proof they didn't take the time (or spend the money) needed to ensure a quality product.

Finding out 3 months after launch you built a poorly designed console that overheats so badly that it *melts the solder holding it together * because you had to rush to make the holiday season and cut costs, is not quality control.

Too many companies today feel its ok to oversell and under deliver, because "fuck it we can just patch it later." It's not hyperbole to call bullshit what it is - bullshit. It's hyperbole to claim an entire industry would die if people like you didn't buy launch consoles. An entire industry PRACTICE would die without people like you. Know the difference.

(and yes, I plan on buying the PS4, I just plan on waiting to see how it actually works out over the holidays. Common sense vs. blind faith.)