Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Chimpzy said:
Casual Shinji said:
Chimpzy said:
Aw, shitty D-pad again.
Really?! I love that D-pad!
If you like it, all the more power to you. I'm just very particular about my D-pads. Way I see it, the Mega Drive 6-button and Saturn were the last and only official controllers for any console with a truly great D-pad.
As much as I like the Dual Shock D-pads (except DS3's D-pad, but it still better than 360 D-pad), I agree. It's Sega, you would not expect less from them in controllers.

laggyteabag

Scrolling through forums, instead of playing games
Legacy
Oct 25, 2009
UK
hanselthecaretaker said:
Laggyteabag said:
hanselthecaretaker said:
I?m guessing the symbols for the face buttons, options, share create and d-pad with be backlit and you may even be able to customize the color for each button. The outlines are there so it would make sense for something to make use of them when the thing is turned on.
That would be nice, but im gonna go ahead and say "unlikely" on this one.

If this was a planned feature, it would either be mentioned in the blog post, or pictured in the images. Seems odd that the lightbar is on, and the buttons are not lit, if they are supposed to be. Even if this is a planned feature, and this is a prototype that isn't 100% working just yet - again, you would think they would either wait until it was 100% functional, at least visually, or they would just photoshop some LED effects onto it.

So yeah, its a no from me.

My question would be what?s the point of having such faint icon markers in place of the traditional colored ones. They look useless as they are, unless they?re meant to be backlit. They also remind me of several hardware peripherals that are backlit, so either Sony botched their reveal slightly (which isn?t surprising) or they really dropped the ball on a simple feature relative to everything else this controller will be packing. The other thing that tells me they missed something is you know they?re going to have at least half dozen different colors of this thing, which would?ve also been able to include. Fans are doing that as we speak-

Because it looks nice and uniform.

This wouldnt be the first time that a design has chosen form over function, and it wont be the last.

As I mentioned in my first comment, this isn't going to be a problem at all to anyone who is familiar with PlayStation button prompts, and it will only be new players who are really impacted by this.

But ultimately, I dont imagine that it will be all that much of a big deal. The Nintendo Switch controllers dont have coloured buttons, and people get along with that just fine - case in point, my girlfriend who has just sunk over 100 hours into the new Animal Crossing game, with this being the first time that she has ever really played a game on the Switch, and doesnt really play games at all, and certainly not with a controller.

Ultimately, I think its just a shame that the iconic face button colours are gone.

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
Sort of need to hold it in my greasy blood soaked paws to make any useful judgement. Buuut it does make me want to touch it all over, which is the intention, I sposes. Looks like it could clean my spaceship floor when left to its own devices too.

Drathnoxis

Became a mass murderer for your sake
Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
Chimpzy said:
Casual Shinji said:
Chimpzy said:
Aw, shitty D-pad again.
Really?! I love that D-pad!
If you like it, all the more power to you. I'm just very particular about my D-pads. Way I see it, the Mega Drive 6-button and Saturn were the last and only official controllers for any console with a truly great D-pad.
You are praising the D-pad on this dinnerplate?

I dunno, looks like the D-pad for the Xbox 360 controller, which kind of sucked because the whole circle thing made it feel a lot less precise than the PS3 D-pad.

Chimpzy_v1legacy

Warning! Contains bananas!
Jun 21, 2009
Drathnoxis said:
You are praising the D-pad on this dinnerplate?
I dunno, looks like the D-pad for the Xbox 360 controller, which kind of sucked because the whole circle thing made it feel a lot less precise than the PS3 D-pad.
This one actually:

This is the Japanese version, but the other regions are the same, just different color. Also, its D-pad craps all over the PoS on the 360, or the PS3's. Basically, if you want something that's perfect for arcade style games (historically one of Sega's biggest strengths) and you don't have a proper arcade stick, then the old school Sega D-pad is your next best option.

RealRT

Feb 28, 2014
Welp, it's definitely a controller. No real swooping changes compared to DS4, other than the stupid name.

Oct 22, 2011
It looks fine.
Seems like Sony is slowly coming to terms with 360 being more popular controller design. They can't escape asymmetric analogs forever!

dscross

Elite Member
Legacy
May 14, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
Looks ok. The grip doesn't look as comfortable as PS4 but we'll have to see.

Yoshi178

Aug 15, 2014
dscross said:
this grip looks way more comfortable than the DS4

you must have tiny hands.

dscross

Elite Member
Legacy
May 14, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
Yoshi178 said:
dscross said:
this grip looks way more comfortable than the DS4

you must have tiny hands.
Doesn't look as round to me.

Zeraki

WHAT AM I FIGHTING FOOOOOOOOR!?
Legacy
Feb 9, 2009
New Jersey
Country
United States
I like the look but that color scheme is... yeesh.

Hopefully the D-pad is more PS2/PS3 and less PS4.

I haven't played many side scrolling/fighting games on PS4 so when Symphony of The Night came out on it last year I was blown away by how bad the DS4's D-pad was. Trying to pull off Alucard's spells was so much more difficult than it should have been.