PSN FF7 Gets 100k Downloads

Ghostkai

Jun 14, 2008
Onmi said:
Jumplion said:
CantFaketheFunk said:
The Emo Amnesiac Adventures of Cloud 'N Pals - better known in some circles by its unofficial title, Final Fantasy VII
I think I just heard something......yeah, it's Onmi screaming in rage....you'll see....

Anyway, I'm definately going to be downloading this as soon as I can, which won't be for another two weeks or so....d'oh?
Hey Funk *Baseball Bat to the face*

Now that THAT is out of the way

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/9.119795

I would hate to have to destroy your collection of Gunpla after all (Actually I would more than likely STEAL it) so do we have an understanding? Otherwise I might have to break Jumplions Kneecaps, i'm Italian and Egyptian don't think I don't have mafia ties of some sort.
Gave me a chuckle ^_^

And your right, of course, he's not emo in the least in the game.

And yes, I'm one of the faithful who downloaded it. God I'm enjoying it all over again.

chromewarriorXIII

The One with the Cake
Oct 17, 2008
I'm proud to not be one of the 100,000 clamoring all over the game. I'm saving that for a FFVIII remake.

But still, 100,000 in a week is pretty good.

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
Onmi said:
Jumplion said:
CantFaketheFunk said:
The Emo Amnesiac Adventures of Cloud 'N Pals - better known in some circles by its unofficial title, Final Fantasy VII
I think I just heard something......yeah, it's Onmi screaming in rage....you'll see....

Anyway, I'm definately going to be downloading this as soon as I can, which won't be for another two weeks or so....d'oh?
Hey Funk *Baseball Bat to the face*

Now that THAT is out of the way

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/9.119795

I would hate to have to destroy your collection of Gunpla after all (Actually I would more than likely STEAL it) so do we have an understanding? Otherwise I might have to break Jumplions Kneecaps, i'm Italian and Egyptian don't think I don't have mafia ties of some sort.
Hey, wat'chya quotn' me for? Quote Funk to the impact, not a' me! You threaten me I get the Isralis on my side, you've no idea what pain is 'till you meet me papa!

Or would you rathar make an "arrangment"?

(heh, I think we reinacted a piece of history there!)

Spirultima

Jul 25, 2008
I had a thesis when i first saw this on the PSN (and yes, i was already downloading it at the time) i think that was an experiment, think about it, 100 000 copys in about 3 weeks, Halo didn't do that good. Now i ask you, how long ago was FFVII released. Now final question, earning them this much money from an ancient games (in modern standards) what would be the profit on a remake of it?

yeah_so_no

Sep 11, 2008
Onmi said:
Spirultima said:
I had a thesis when i first saw this on the PSN (and yes, i was already downloading it at the time) i think that was an experiment, think about it, 100 000 copys in about 3 weeks, Halo didn't do that good. Now i ask you, how long ago was FFVII released. Now final question, earning them this much money from an ancient games (in modern standards) what would be the profit on a remake of it?
Lesse here, Final Famntasy 7. The game that took RPGs on consoles as a whole from a Niche into a sensation, every console the main series of FFs have been on has won, it was one of the most highly anticipated moves Sony could make. In japan they can't release DQ on a week day out of fear the economy will shut down well I'll have a stab at saying yes this could possibly cause thousands to take the day off just to buy it.

Conisder that Kingdom Hearts 2 went platnium in under a week in Japan and you got to ask yourself "Are square DAFT?!" this is a license to print money
The thing is, though, Square has said they aren't going to remake it as long as it can be played on a current gen system...which it can be. All the remakes they've done for FF (1-4, 6 if you include the Gameboy Advance port, an 5 and 6 are still available because of the PS1 ports) have been for games that you can't play on current systems.

Remaking FF7 would probably be an excuse to print money, but I do see why they're not doing it--not just because you can still get the original game, but because this way they can't piss off the fans, who are going to have HUGE expectations for a remake.

Spirultima

Jul 25, 2008
Onmi said:
Spirultima said:
Lesse here, Final Famntasy 7. The game that took RPGs on consoles as a whole from a Niche into a sensation, every console the main series of FFs have been on has won, it was one of the most highly anticipated moves Sony could make. In japan they can't release DQ on a week day out of fear the economy will shut down well I'll have a stab at saying yes this could possibly cause thousands to take the day off just to buy it.

Conisder that Kingdom Hearts 2 went platnium in under a week in Japan and you got to ask yourself "Are square DAFT?!" this is a license to print money
I think the best, the BEST thing Square Enix could do would be to release a package, FF1 through to FFX-2 (and that excludes the spin-offs, although perhaps one or two could be added) with it, of course you get the Final Fantasy past collection (including FFVII original of course) but the main product with it would be the FFVII re-do. That package would probably cost £75-£100 (in dollars, lets go with $150-$200), i would buy it, hell i would buy the mega deluxe platinum and diamond encrusted collection :D

sanzo

Jan 21, 2009
yeah_so_no said:
Onmi said:
Spirultima said:

The thing is, though, Square has said they aren't going to remake it as long as it can be played on a current gen system...which it can be. All the remakes they've done for FF (1-4, 6 if you include the Gameboy Advance port, an 5 and 6 are still available because of the PS1 ports) have been for games that you can't play on current systems.

Remaking FF7 would probably be an excuse to print money, but I do see why they're not doing it--not just because you can still get the original game, but because this way they can't piss off the fans, who are going to have HUGE expectations for a remake.
You'd think just remaking the game with better graphics would be fine. Then again, I don't have the mindset of an FF7 fanboy, so I have no idea what kind of impossible expectations they would have

chronobreak

Sep 6, 2008
yeah_so_no said:

Yeah, the expectations would be pretty big. You gotta think, too, if they are gonna do it, then it should be sooner rather than later. I probably won't care enough about a remake once I get past 30, and I was 13 when the original came out, which I assume would be in the largest demographic that had played the game, I think.

Mister Blicq

Jun 24, 2009
WoolyCaterpillar said:
What an overrated pile of s***. FF7 fanboys should go die in a fire.
Yeah well you say that now but my fire is mastered and paired with an All materia, so I'd take you down with me, plus my buddy has Mime around somewhere so if you somehow survive we'd just repeat that shit right back at you.

So yeah.

Chaossebba

Aug 11, 2008
WoolyCaterpillar said:
What an overrated pile of s***. FF7 fanboys should go die in a fire.
Yes, how dare we like a game you dont like. BOO US!

Anyway i still got an original PS1 copy which is still in pretty good condition considering i've had it for ages, so i wont be DLing this.

I'm actually hoping for an FFVIII remake, cause those discs are total loss :(

sighh

Mar 3, 2009
Gxas said:
For those looking to play it and don't have a PS3 or PSX, there is a port made for the PC. Not to hard to find I'm sure but I got it from my friend. Took up a gig of space on my hard drive and plays wonderfully, though the controls are a bit difficult to get used to.
The PC port is horrendous. I lost track of the # of times it crashed when I was playing it, nevermind the game breaking bugs that I had to go find patches for.

Hiroshi Mishima

Sep 25, 2008
I have to say I sincerely hope they're NOT planning on remaking the game after they just released the ORIGINAL on PSN. Seriously, SquareEnix needs to really tone down their Remake Engine and start working on genuinely new games and not mass-produced copies of Final Fantasy VII and X with new names (like XII and XIII) that encorporate trends found in both of the two former titles. It's also concerning me that they keep remaking the older entries but keep fouling it up each time by making unnecessary changes to things like character design and/or continuity, such as making the female characters sexier than ever in FFIV on the DS, diving deeper into Zack on that FFVII PSP game, or trying to get us to buy into Chrono Cross by making a brand new ending for the DS release of Chrono Trigger.

I'll be perfectly honest. When I got FFVII, I loved it and finished it to the end gripping the controller in both rage and joy depending on the scene going on, and in one case snapped my controller in half out of shocked rage - which was silly because it was spoiled for me a year before the game came out - upon seeing a beloved character murdered for no real reason except to bring out those very emotions in the gamer and in many ways they succeeded, but they also introduced tits to RPGs which I've hated them for ever since. I have no real fond memories of FFVII anymore, they've all gone south and what remains are the bitter memories of the horrible Chocobo Racing, ridiculously difficult Emerald Weapon fights as he would spawn ON TOP of my exiting the underwater ruins or just going underwater in general - he's the very reason I developed an almost incurable fear of underwater segments in video games for many years to come which still persists in some way to this day (although I partially blame it on something to do with 3-D games themselves).

So no, I'm not buying this again I can just play it on my PSX or PS2, or I can emulate it if absolutely necessary. I'm sick of Square going on about the damn game for so damn long. It wasn't the end-all-be-all of RPGs, and it certainly didn't endear me to the series, that was FFI, IV, Mystic Quest, and VI. It wasn't even what got me into RPGs either, which would be FFI and many SNES RPGs.

sanzo

Jan 21, 2009
Hiroshi Mishima said:
I have to say I sincerely hope they're NOT planning on remaking the game after they just released the ORIGINAL on PSN. Seriously, SquareEnix needs to really tone down their Remake Engine and start working on genuinely new games and not mass-produced copies of Final Fantasy VII and X with new names (like XII and XIII) that encorporate trends found in both of the two former titles. It's also concerning me that they keep remaking the older entries but keep fouling it up each time by making unnecessary changes to things like character design and/or continuity, such as making the female characters sexier than ever in FFIV on the DS, diving deeper into Zack on that FFVII PSP game, or trying to get us to buy into Chrono Cross by making a brand new ending for the DS release of Chrono Trigger.

I'll be perfectly honest. When I got FFVII, I loved it and finished it to the end gripping the controller in both rage and joy depending on the scene going on, and in one case snapped my controller in half out of shocked rage - which was silly because it was spoiled for me a year before the game came out - upon seeing a beloved character murdered for no real reason except to bring out those very emotions in the gamer and in many ways they succeeded, but they also introduced tits to RPGs which I've hated them for ever since. I have no real fond memories of FFVII anymore, they've all gone south and what remains are the bitter memories of the horrible Chocobo Racing, ridiculously difficult Emerald Weapon fights as he would spawn ON TOP of my exiting the underwater ruins or just going underwater in general - he's the very reason I developed an almost incurable fear of underwater segments in video games for many years to come which still persists in some way to this day (although I partially blame it on something to do with 3-D games themselves).

So no, I'm not buying this again I can just play it on my PSX or PS2, or I can emulate it if absolutely necessary. I'm sick of Square going on about the damn game for so damn long. It wasn't the end-all-be-all of RPGs, and it certainly didn't endear me to the series, that was FFI, IV, Mystic Quest, and VI. It wasn't even what got me into RPGs either, which would be FFI and many SNES RPGs.
Thing is, there's still a very large fanbase for FF7. I mean, 100,000 downloads in a week? that's nothing to sneeze at.

So, why wouldn't they do something to make money? They're a business after all.

pigeon_of_doom

Vice-Captain Hammer
Feb 9, 2008
Khell_Sennet said:
Some of us actually prefer gameplay over graphics
Wasn't the graphics (or at least the FMVs and backgrounds) one of the major selling points of the game, as laughable as the idea sounds now?

Anyway, I'm glad this is selling well as it's proven the existence of a market for the game. Hopefully this'll force Square into doing a remake and we can finally judge the game's storyline fairly based on a good translation. A FFVII compilation...errr compilation would be ideal for me with a FFVII PS3 remake, Advent Children, Last Order and ports of Crisis Core (I've been waiting 2 years already) and Dirge of Cerebrus (just to complete the set). Bundle it with some figurines and art cards into a fancy box and you've got my dream package.

Until then I'll just have to persevere with my two original copies of the game.