PSN Games Won't Transfer to PS4

mattttherman3

Dec 16, 2008
So if I buy a game on PSN right now, and in about 3 years when my ps3 stops working, I would have to repurchase a DIGITAL copy? Fuck off lol

Kmadden2004

Feb 13, 2010
dragongit said:
Kmadden2004 said:
Okay, I know I'm not an IT expert by any stretch of the imagination, but surely if the PS4 is as incredibly powerful as Sony want us to believe, then why would it be "over stretching" the machine's processor to play older games? I mean, seriously, if the Wii-U can do it, why not the PS4?

And where does this leave certain next-gen titles like (if the rumours are to be believed about it being next-gen) Dragon Age 3, where you really need to import old PS3 save files to get the most out of the game?
you'd think that a PC could play old PC games without issue, concidering the requirements from the past are significaly less then they are today. but try to load up an old game without proper emulation will either result in the game not functioning, or a crash. Just because the hardware is more powerful doesn't mean it'll run everything smoothly. Sometimes a machine can be too powerful and overclock settings into an unplayable state. The story is that some titles from the PSN won't be playable "right away" meaning that they are focusing on making sure the launch games arn't buggy and laggy, while saving their "longer lasting" classic titles for another day, when they've ironed out internal emulation.
Forgive me if I'm getting this wrong, but I've always been led to believe that the problems with running older PC games on new machines are usually an issue with the operating system just not supporting the software, as opposed to "over stretching" processor.

dragongit

Feb 22, 2011
Kmadden2004 said:
dragongit said:
Kmadden2004 said:
Okay, I know I'm not an IT expert by any stretch of the imagination, but surely if the PS4 is as incredibly powerful as Sony want us to believe, then why would it be "over stretching" the machine's processor to play older games? I mean, seriously, if the Wii-U can do it, why not the PS4?

And where does this leave certain next-gen titles like (if the rumours are to be believed about it being next-gen) Dragon Age 3, where you really need to import old PS3 save files to get the most out of the game?
you'd think that a PC could play old PC games without issue, concidering the requirements from the past are significaly less then they are today. but try to load up an old game without proper emulation will either result in the game not functioning, or a crash. Just because the hardware is more powerful doesn't mean it'll run everything smoothly. Sometimes a machine can be too powerful and overclock settings into an unplayable state. The story is that some titles from the PSN won't be playable "right away" meaning that they are focusing on making sure the launch games arn't buggy and laggy, while saving their "longer lasting" classic titles for another day, when they've ironed out internal emulation.
Forgive me if I'm getting this wrong, but I've always been led to believe that the problems with running older PC games on new machines are usually an issue with the operating system just not supporting the software, as opposed to "over stretching" processor.
Why not both? the PS3 uses cell processing, which many developers hated and couldn't develop for poperly until years later, the PS4 is going back to a more traditional processing architecture. Perhaps the transition doesn't bode well for some games that ran exclusivly on the PS3. Once they have finalized the PS4 and it's functions, they can figure out how to optomize and bring back older games. Imagine if they just tried to tack on emulation without neither figuring out the best way to deal with it's previous processing, could result in laggy games or glitchy games. I'd rather them figure it out and release later down the line then the alternative, unplayable games.

Madmanonfire

Jul 24, 2009
I was starting to get hyped for this console, but now this happens...
The choice of buying a PS4 early or not is getting harder.

fwiffo

Sep 12, 2011
Let's clear out all the old games, then get people to buy them again on the new system. What's really sad are all the posters who have no problem with this. I guess the pc will archive all the old console games, so no worries. Keep on shooting Sony, you'll hit your foot one of these days.

MaryKamikaze

Dec 5, 2011
Since it's shaping up to have some seemingly good looking launch titles, I'm ok with this. Especially since they will be available eventually.

Torrasque

Aug 6, 2010
Backwards compatibility isn't so much of an issue these days, especially since the generation gap between system X and system X+1 is getting larger with each release.
When the Gamecube came out, the tech was so much more advanced than the N64, that it wouldn't make sense to make N64 games playable on the Gamecube. When the Wii was released, the technology gap wasn't as large as the gap between the N64 and the Gamecube, so allowing Gamecube games to be played on the Wii was not a big deal at all. Just a little hardware tweaking and adjusting, and you can play all your old Gamecube games on your Wii. I'm not positive, but it wouldn't surprise me if you could even play Gamecube games on the Wii U.

Sony on the other hand, shits the bed on this every single time. A lot of PS1 games couldn't play on the PS2 because of "hardware", same with a lot of PS2 games on the PS3. I remember a friend trying to play Kingdom Hearts 1 on his PS3 and the saves getting corrupted every second day, it was hilarious and sad at the same time.

I think it would be great if developers would just allow you to create an account with them, and save all your files and games to that account. Whenever you purchase a game, a digital copy comes with it and is instantly saved to that account. You can then use this account for any system they create, you just use the digital copy from that account. One downside to this, is that if you lose access to your account somehow, you're fucked. Another downside would be sharing, it would have to be set up so you can't just transfer your account to other systems and then share all your games to that console. But thats just thinking about how many feathers an unhatched chick will have.

Overall, I'm not surprised that PS4 will be stupid with the PSN.

prophet0607

Mar 11, 2009
Capitano Segnaposto said:
kiri2tsubasa said:
Not really going to be a problem since I will be buying a PS4 for PS4 games. Backwards comparability is a complete irrelevancy to me.
Same here. I don't know why people complain a lot about these things. My Question is, "Will my Trophies/Account carry over?"
We'll you're 100% in the minority. You're trying to protect your virtual achievements and your account (I can understand the account bit). Most people don't care about trophies. What they do care about is their own financial investments in games that they've bought. I buy a game for the PS3, I still want to play it for years and years.
Who wants to keep their PS3 when buying a PS4? That's stupid. The PS4 will clearly be able to run PS3 games (gameplay wise), they've announced the streaming service where you'll be able to stream PS3 games. A lot of people bought a lot of games on the PSN, and they shouldn't lose them. I can understand not being able to play PS3 games (as in to run off of disks). The consoles are too different and I accept that. But digital downloads are different.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Thaaaat suuuucks aaaass!

I know this can be seen as a small issue, but all these small issues, like backwards compatability, keep compounding on one another till it becomes a giant swarm of annoyance.

You'd better bring the bacon but good, Sony, if you want me to look past this.

Zeraki

WHAT AM I FIGHTING FOOOOOOOOR!?
Legacy
Feb 9, 2009
New Jersey
Country
United States
Well that settles it. If I ever do get a PS4, it'll be waaaay down the line after a price drop. Nothing shown at that announcement last night really wowed me anyway.

The lack of backwards compatibility I can somewhat understand(but if they expect people to repurchase games they already own they can go straight to hell)but not getting to keep all our PSN games is complete bullshit. Instead we get Facebook integration, a service I'll never use.

Woo hoo.

prophet0607

Mar 11, 2009
fwiffo said:
Let's clear out all the old games, then get people to buy them again on the new system. What's really sad are all the posters who have no problem with this. I guess the pc will archive all the old console games, so no worries. Keep on shooting Sony, you'll hit your foot one of these days.
Hell yeah. Hopefully we get some good PS3, Xbox 360, and Wii emulators for PC so we can finally replay (or play) all those games.
I think this is the generation where I leave the consoles. I've been trying to hang on to my 360 and my Wii but I just can't gather much enthusiasm for the PS4 or Wii U. Sure the games look good, but the companies are throwing away their player base by not transferring digital purchases/inviting people to buy them again (I'm looking at you Wii U virtual console) while digital downloads are a huge part of this past generation.
I guess Sony is telling people that they'll have PSN transfers eventually. That's ok.
I think the last straw will be if Microsoft doesn't allow for transferring from the 360 to whatever the hell they're making. I've had a 360 for 5-6 years and I've probably bought hundreds of dollars worth of Downloadable materials.

CrazyCapnMorgan

Is not insane, just crazy >:)
Jan 5, 2011
The only reason I bought a PS3 was for the older games I enjoyed way back when. I don't wish to re-purchase them. And I'm still waiting on Secret Of Mana and Secret Of Evermore. So, for the time being...

Epona

Elite Member
Jun 24, 2011
Country
United States
If PS4 supported all my PSN games (many came from PS+) then I could deactivate one PS3 to free up a slot. Sony better increase the amount of consoles I can activate under my account if I am going to have to keep my PS3 hooked up.

grigjd3

Mar 4, 2011
dragongit said:
The PC does pretty well for keeping games running though for the long history of the x86 architecture. Even so, it can take a lot of effort to bring old games up to speed, hence why I enjoy Gog so much.

Innegativeion

Positively Neutral!
Feb 18, 2011
kiri2tsubasa said:
Not really going to be a problem since I will be buying a PS4 for PS4 games. Backwards comparability is a complete irrelevancy to me.
Not all of us have hyper-cubes on our TV sets with which to store mountains upon mountains of outdated hardware just so we can enjoy our favorite old games.

Hell, even NINTENDO, notorious for a perceived disconnect with the "hardcore" crowd got this right; clunky though their system transfer may be.
Capitano Segnaposto said:
What, so you just sell your old consoles as soon as the new ones come out? That is stupid. Do you also sell books that you love when you finish them? What about Music?

I know I am not in the Minority as the games I bought will always be on that console. I can go back to play them at anytime. You aren't going to lose those games you bought, why would you? You just have to play on the console you bought those games for. I don't see why that is such a hard concept for people, like you, to grasp.
While no one here has any concrete statistics, clearly, I'd estimate that you *are* in the minority.

The book/music comparison is a weak one, because those don't take up much space, and themselves aren't media platforms, they're media itself.

A more apt comparison would be a music player, like an ipod. Generally, when a new ipod comes out, it can play all your old songs. You don't need to switch to your old ipod just to hear the songs you bought last year. It's the same concept. why should we have to clutter our TVs with all these plastic boxes to play old software? I only have so much shelf space, and I'll be damned if I have to wrench out my tv to rearrange wires every time I want to play Little Big Planet. I can probably deal with it this generation, but if the trend continues I won't be able to for the next.

It's a principal of convenience, something Sony's development team seems to have deemed not worth the cost, around the PS3's 2nd iteration.

Mr. Omega

ANTI-LIFE JUSTIFIES MY HATE!
Jul 1, 2010
And I find myself thinking "When Nintendo gets it right and you don't, you know you messed up..."

RaikuFA

Jun 12, 2009
Lets see...

No backwards compatability

Boring as hell games(seriously, Destiny looks like another bland generic FPS to me)

No playing games from PSN.

Makes it very hard to get games from the PS1 days that port to the PSP(seriously, SCEA is the only company that pulls this crap in the industry)

Didn't get that $10 voucher for being a "loyal" customer despite the fact that I've bought quite a lot for my PS3 and have games up the wazoo on my PSN.

Never gotton a beta invite to any game

Looks like I'm not getting a PS4.

The Hungry Samurai

Hungry for Truth
Apr 1, 2004
My ps3 still works so ill live. I just hope psn plus hooks me up with a hearty ps4 instant game collection around launch and continues to treat me as they did with ps3's premium offerings.