PSN Games Won't Transfer to PS4

inkheart_artist

Jan 22, 2009
Well that's the news I was waiting for. It at least means I won't be an early adopter. If they don't give the option to play the old games I got on PSN then I may just skip this console generation and stick with the PC.

FoolKiller

Feb 8, 2008
Zombie_Moogle said:
kiri2tsubasa said:
Not really going to be a problem since I will be buying a PS4 for PS4 games. Backwards comparability is a complete irrelevancy to me.
I heard this a lot when the PS3 dropped backward compatibility, & it's a valid argument. A lot of people would agree, but a lot of other people are gonna have a problem with losing all the digitally distributed games & content they've amassed; if Sony is smart, they'll keep PS3/PSN support a priority until they can establish some kind of virtual console set-up. If not, I don't see a lot of people making the switch any time soon
Well digital distribution is mastered by Steam so all digital systems will be compared to that. I don't care so much on my PlayStation but if I can't play my arcade games on the new Xbox, it will be a long time before I would consider getting a new console, and it would guarantee that I would never buy any digital content on that platform again.

Treblaine

Jul 25, 2008
"Eventually, some PS3 titles will make the jump, but only ones that the PS4 can emulate without radically overstretching its processor."

This is worrying, considering there are already functional PC emulators out there for PS3, this means either PS4 is not very powerful or Sony is telling some major porkies

This is inexcusable considering the number of PSN games that are just emulations to PS3 you just need to emulate to PS4 instead.

Also, what kind of price are we paying for a game that will start with NO back catalogue, not even PSN games?!?!

Frank_Sinatra_

Digs Giant Robots
Dec 30, 2008
This is kinda an issue since it seems incredibly stupid for Sony to do this, but not an issue really for me since I have one PS3 for disc games and another for downloadable games.
Yes, I have two PS3's for 2 different types of games.

Soulrender95

May 13, 2011
On the one hand backwards compatibility is nice and always useful as a space saving measure but on the other at least there not promising something now which they later remove or never add which I think they want to avoid after having to remove the ps3's backwards compatibility and the fuss that would cause as everyone rages over it's loss, best to take the PR hit so no one has any false ideas but still non-ps3 PSN games should be a priority transfer.

lazarus990

Sep 19, 2012
kiri2tsubasa said:
Not really going to be a problem since I will be buying a PS4 for PS4 games. Backwards comparability is a complete irrelevancy to me.
Dude, must be nice to be made of money. I for one, won't be buying a PS4 unless it is fully BC with the PS3 at a minimum.

Sylveria

Nov 15, 2009
mattttherman3 said:
So if I buy a game on PSN right now, and in about 3 years when my ps3 stops working, I would have to repurchase a DIGITAL copy? Fuck off lol
Repurchase a digital copy or replace your PS3. THough if you want to keep playing any of your PS3 games, you'll need to replace your PS3.

The Wii-U may not be a be a technical power-house and it needs games, but god damn did they nail how you do a next gen console right.

Quiotu

Mar 7, 2008
lazarus990 said:
kiri2tsubasa said:
Dude, must be nice to be made of money. I for one, won't be buying a PS4 unless it is fully BC with the PS3 at a minimum.
Get used to disappointment then. The hardware architecture is completely different between the PS2, PS3 and PS4. None of them are gonna play nice with each other, which is why streaming was their only option.

BTW, if the next Xbox is also X86 architecture, they'll have the same issue, so don't expect the 720 to be your saving grace. If BC is something you absolutely need for consoles, the coming generation will probably suck for you.

RicoADF

Welcome back Commander
Jun 2, 2009
Capitano Segnaposto said:
prophet0607 said:
kiri2tsubasa said:
Same here. I don't know why people complain a lot about these things. My Question is, "Will my Trophies/Account carry over?"
We'll you're 100% in the minority. You're trying to protect your virtual achievements and your account (I can understand the account bit). Most people don't care about trophies. What they do care about is their own financial investments in games that they've bought. I buy a game for the PS3, I still want to play it for years and years.
Who wants to keep their PS3 when buying a PS4? That's stupid. The PS4 will clearly be able to run PS3 games (gameplay wise), they've announced the streaming service where you'll be able to stream PS3 games. A lot of people bought a lot of games on the PSN, and they shouldn't lose them. I can understand not being able to play PS3 games (as in to run off of disks). The consoles are too different and I accept that. But digital downloads are different.
What, so you just sell your old consoles as soon as the new ones come out? That is stupid. Do you also sell books that you love when you finish them? What about Music?

I know I am not in the Minority as the games I bought will always be on that console. I can go back to play them at anytime. You aren't going to lose those games you bought, why would you? You just have to play on the console you bought those games for. I don't see why that is such a hard concept for people, like you, to grasp.
Consoles break and die eventually, if backwards comparability doesn't exist then when the consoles die off so do your games. Sony needs to offer a version with backwards comparability for those willing to spend the extra $$. Also for some space is an issue, they may not have the room.

RicoADF

Welcome back Commander
Jun 2, 2009
RicoADF said:
prophet0607 said:
kiri2tsubasa said:
Same here. I don't know why people complain a lot about these things. My Question is, "Will my Trophies/Account carry over?"
We'll you're 100% in the minority. You're trying to protect your virtual achievements and your account (I can understand the account bit). Most people don't care about trophies. What they do care about is their own financial investments in games that they've bought. I buy a game for the PS3, I still want to play it for years and years.
Who wants to keep their PS3 when buying a PS4? That's stupid. The PS4 will clearly be able to run PS3 games (gameplay wise), they've announced the streaming service where you'll be able to stream PS3 games. A lot of people bought a lot of games on the PSN, and they shouldn't lose them. I can understand not being able to play PS3 games (as in to run off of disks). The consoles are too different and I accept that. But digital downloads are different.
What, so you just sell your old consoles as soon as the new ones come out? That is stupid. Do you also sell books that you love when you finish them? What about Music?

I know I am not in the Minority as the games I bought will always be on that console. I can go back to play them at anytime. You aren't going to lose those games you bought, why would you? You just have to play on the console you bought those games for. I don't see why that is such a hard concept for people, like you, to grasp.
Consoles break and die eventually, if backwards comparability doesn't exist then when the consoles die off so do your games. Sony needs to offer a version with backwards comparability for those willing to spend the extra $$. Also for some space is an issue, they may not have the room.
That is why Ottoman's exist! I have like two of them in my Dorm room. Don't take up room at all as they are both shoved under my bed. (My Dorm room is only about 8x8 with two people livin' in it!). Yet I have all my games and consoles (about 500 games, 20 consoles) in both of them. Not to mention the one or two consoles I have out now and my computer that is on my desk.

If I can live in a tiny closet with all my games (I am a huge collector), then most normal people should be able to find room for the three or so old consoles and the 30 or so games they have for them.

As for the dieing: My Atari 2600 and NES would like to speak with you. Both work perfectly fine.
Older consoles are more reliable than the newer models, ironically while I probably will still have my on launch day PS3 running for a long time it will need service sooner or later.
What's an ottoman?

wooty

Vi Britannia
Aug 1, 2009
No big deal, I'll just keep my PS3 with whatever games I have on it.

Same as I have my PSX, PS2 and PS3 under my telly. Its crowded sure, but it adds to the "blokeyness" of my flat.

Redd the Sock

Apr 14, 2010
RicoADF said:
prophet0607 said:
kiri2tsubasa said:

That is why Ottoman's exist! I have like two of them in my Dorm room. Don't take up room at all as they are both shoved under my bed. (My Dorm room is only about 8x8 with two people livin' in it!). Yet I have all my games and consoles (about 500 games, 20 consoles) in both of them. Not to mention the one or two consoles I have out now and my computer that is on my desk.

If I can live in a tiny closet with all my games (I am a huge collector), then most normal people should be able to find room for the three or so old consoles and the 30 or so games they have for them.

As for the dieing: My Atari 2600 and NES would like to speak with you. Both work perfectly fine.
Think they can come give a pep talk to my NES which hasn't worked in over 15 years, or my PS2 which stutters and skips during loading anything?

You know I find your side funny. No one bitches about cameras being in phones saying you can just carry a digital camera as well. I've never heard anyone completely denounce the universal remote, or compain about any tablet feature replacing some other gadget. Did people ***** about people that couldn't carry CDs with them when MP3 players and i-pods came out? Why are videogames subject to this lack of respect for those that want the convience of a single device?

Good news for me is I can save some money at the hollidays on this.

RicoADF

Welcome back Commander
Jun 2, 2009
RicoADF said:
RicoADF said:
prophet0607 said:
kiri2tsubasa said:

Older consoles are more reliable than the newer models, ironically while I probably will still have my on launch day PS3 running for a long time it will need service sooner or later.
What's an ottoman?
I still have a first generation Xbox 360. Never had a RRoD. Unless I am just incredibly lucky, as long as you keep care of your electronics, they shouldn't fall apart.

Also an ottoman is basically a hollow piece of furniture that you can store things in. You can have a nice "couch" that is actually hollow, supported by a steel frame and hide all your things in it. Most are just small benches or foot-rests. You can get some ottoman's designed for games in particular as well. I suggest buying them if you have a small house/room and want the most functionality.
You got lucky with the 360, considering the statistics. I still have my PS2 and will keep my launch day no issues as of yet 3, and no space isn't an issue for me (my bedroom is the size of 2 rooms), but for others it is.

Ah yes I know what u mean (regarding the ottoman.

Mr.Mattress

Level 2 Lumberjack
Jul 17, 2009
prophet0607 said:
I think this is the generation where I leave the consoles. I've been trying to hang on to my 360 and my Wii but I just can't gather much enthusiasm for the PS4 or Wii U. Sure the games look good, but the companies are throwing away their player base by not transferring digital purchases/inviting people to buy them again (I'm looking at you Wii U virtual console) while digital downloads are a huge part of this past generation.
... Uhhhh... You can Transfer stuff from the Wii to the WiiU... You don't have to re-buy those. [https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iZDsHBq9nAY]