Psychonauts 2 is happening. Because Notch.

xvbones

Oct 29, 2009
(edit: multiple edits, people get pissy when i get facts wrong. i get facts wrong because i'm posting drunk at whateverthehelloclock in the morning. lesson learned, wait for sobriety. because people get seriously pissy over minor corrections.)

So, small background: Once upon a time, there was a game called Psychonauts and it was made by a man named Tim Shafer, who was already a legend of gaming due to his previous works, which included Grim Fandango and The Secret of Monkey Island.

And Psychonauts was the best game nobody ever heard of or paid any attention to, because Psychonauts was published by a company called Majesco, which spent about thirty dollars advertising Psychonauts and millions upon millions on a game called Advent Rising.

Unfortunately for everybody, Advent Rising was tepid at best and godawful at worst, drew mixed-to-negative reviews and subsequently sank like an anchor, dragging Majesco down with it.

And so, Psychonauts, which received rave reviews, sat on shelves, criminally underrated and almost completely unadvertised, one of the best and most brilliant platform games of any era, unsold in droves, known only to a small but devoted fandom (which has since significantly grown).

Some (like me) lay the blame for Psychonauts' commercial failure directly at Majesco's feet for backing the wrong fucking pony.

Some blamed an apathetic consumer base.

But we can all agree, fuck Majesco.

And then, this happened: http://www.digitalspy.com/gaming/levelup/a363303/double-fine-interview-off-cuts-tim-schafer-on-studio-creativity.html

Digital Spy interviewed Tim Shafer (creator of Grim Fandango, Psychonauts, Monkey Island, etc), and one of the questions and reponses was this:

Digital Spy said:
...I imagine fans would want to see more of a certain game? Is it difficult to go against that pressure and create new content instead?

"It's not that we don't have a choice! I mean I get a lot of, on Twitter or whatever, daily questions about Psychonauts 2. And I would love to do Psychonauts 2, I've actually pitched that to publishers several times and no-one has taken the bait so far.

"So it is hard because fans often don't know how the business works, with the difference between a developer and a publisher, it's hard to explain that. I'd love to do that game, but I'd have to convince someone to just give me a few million dollars, that's all."
And then this happened:

So, to recap:

Psychonauts 2 is happening.

Because Notch.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
Well, that's potentially cool.

Although I personally never really got on the Psychonauts train.

itsmeyouidiot

Dec 22, 2008
TheKasp said:
If this assface will use his money to actually do something good like supporting a person who knows how to make a game on his own without stealing ideas... I would actually stop calling him assface :D
Refining and building upon a previously established idea is not the same as stealing it.

It's true that Minecraft took a lot of ideas from Infiniminer, but Infiniminer feels downright primitive compared to even the earlier versions of Minecraft.

LookingGlass

Jul 6, 2011
Psychonauts was cool, and did sort of have an opening for a sequel, but I'm happy with Double Fine making anything... well, anything except Kinect games. Fuck those.

I got to play Costume Quest once it came to Steam and I actually enjoyed it even more than Psychonauts. I played through it in 3 play sessions because it was just hard to stop playing.

So I'd actually like to see them keep on producing new IPs. After (or at the same time as) bringing Trenched and Stacking to PC that is.

xvbones

Oct 29, 2009
rod_hynes said:
I'm pretty sure I played it on the PS3, just FYI- your putting out bad info.
Thanks for pointing that out, it did get a late port to PS2.

So long as we're pointing out each other's mistakes, it's 'you're.'

ohnoitsabear

Feb 15, 2011
I just want to say that this isn't happening yet. Nobody at Double Fine has responded yet, and there is the possibility that they won't take Notch's offer.

That said, Psychonauts 2 is now a real possibility, and that makes me very, very happy.

Mathak

The Tax Man Cometh
Mar 27, 2009
Hot damn, and here I was thinking Azatoth was just ignoring my prayers. Thanks, Blind Piper, I owe you one thousand and one souls!

Weaver

Overcaffeinated
Apr 28, 2008
xvbones said:
Recently, Psychonauts finally got a port to PC
Psychonauts didn't "recently" recieve a port to PC. It came to PC on April 26th, 2005. You know, 6 days after the XBOX release and two months before it came to PS2.

Qitz

Mar 6, 2011
Now lets just hope it's kept to the typical Psychonauts formula and not try to shoe-horn in too any different mechanics like what they did with Brutal Legends.

If they even decide to go with it.

Slanzinger

Nov 19, 2009
zombieshark6666 said:
If they want me to care, they might want to put Psycho 1 on XBLA, y'know.
It is available in the Games on Demand section, at least. (though in all honesty at this juncture the Steam version would probably be a better option, I hear the performance on the XB version isn't great, whereas the Steam one has been patched a couple times)

XDravond

Something something....
Mar 30, 2011
I've just saw this and I can only say

PRETTY PLEASE!

And I can't even scream that high enough..
Psychonauts is a great game that is talked about as "one of those that should gone better than it did". And whilst I can see how the whole concept doesn't work for everyone, most that I know whom actually tried it loved it. Although it can't just copy the original ad some new graphics and "levels", but really make a whole new follow up story, and perhaps some less amount of bugs... :D

So now let's just hope it becomes real :D and not a HL3/ep3 thing...
(O and I already bought the original 3 times)

scorptatious

The Resident Team ICO Fanboy
May 14, 2009
Awesome. I really enjoyed the first game. I would love to see a second one.

zombieshark6666

Sep 27, 2011
Slanzinger said:
zombieshark6666 said:
If they want me to care, they might want to put Psycho 1 on XBLA, y'know.
It is available in the Games on Demand section, at least. (though in all honesty at this juncture the Steam version would probably be a better option, I hear the performance on the XB version isn't great, whereas the Steam one has been patched a couple times)
It used to be there, but looks like it might come back, apparently.

http://www.doublefine.com/forums/viewthread/4712/

Thanks for the reply.

yaydod

Nov 29, 2011
I WANT!!!
I really loved the first game and was sad knowing it crashed so hard.
So hopefully they will fix the mistakes of the past and make a brighter future.