Queen Elizabeth II Sends Her Very First Tweet

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
I am personally disappointed that this contained nothing about corgis.

(Actually, I'm not interested in tweets, so no big deal.)

wAriot

Jan 18, 2013
Adam Jensen said:
Queen, eh? Well I didn't vote for her.
Don't quote me on this, but I'm almost certain that if a referendum was done, British people would vote for the monarchy to be kept.

Heck, even here in Spain, if the Conservatives let us have one (they won't, btw), I'm sure it would be around 50/50 for monarchy/republic, and our king doesn't have even a fraction of the knowledge, political power and influence of Queen E2.

Dimitriov

The end is nigh.
May 24, 2010
Steven Bogos said:
Queen Elizabeth II Sends Her Very First Tweet

The Queen finally joins the social media age by kicking off Britain's Information Age gallery with her very first Tweet.

Twitter is a pretty powerful tool these days. When used responsibly, it can quickly convey vital information to millions of people at once, and when used irresponsibly, well, it can completely destroy someone's career [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/138134-Paranautical-Activity-Pulled-From-Steam-After-Dev-Threatens-Gabe-Newell]. Now, it looks like Great Britain's Queen Elizabeth II is finally getting in on the action, sending her very first Tweet ever at the opening of the Information Age gallery at London's Science Museum.

Check out the first message the Queen chose to send to her subjects via Twitter bellow:

[tweet t=https://twitter.com/BritishMonarchy/status/525596327674400768]

The Tweet was then followed by a confirmation Tweet from the British Monarchy account, stating "The last tweet was sent personally by The Queen from her official Twitter account," and was later followed up with the picture you'll see to the right from the Science Museum itself, showing the Queen in the act of sending the Tweet.

The 88-year-old Queen Elizabeth is no stranger to embracing new technologies. In 1953, at her own request, she became the first British monarch to have her coronation broadcast live on television.

The Information Age gallery that she opened with her Tweet is a special exhibit focused on the evolution of modern communications.

Source: Twitter [http://edition.cnn.com/2014/10/24/world/europe/uk-queen-elizabeth-twitter/index.html]

Great Britain's queen!? Her Majesty certainly is, but she's the queen of a good bit more than that! You've left out North Ireland, Canada, Australia, New Zealand, and rather a lot more places besides.

*grumbling Canadian*

She's ahead of me now as I've never tweeted anything. Of course, I have no desire to do so.

Li Mu

Oct 17, 2011
Denamic said:
The first tweet that we know of. She might have been trollin' the net since the 90's as far as we know.
For sure. She's been trolling the fuck out of people on Xbox COD for years.

Adam Jensen said:
Queen, eh? Well I didn't vote for her.
http://youtu.be/rAaWvVFERVA

Josh123914

They'll fix it by "Monday"
Nov 17, 2009
Anyone else kinda hoping her tweet would be something like ''YoloSwaggins420 #TopKek''?
I dunno, I've been watching too many montage parodies.

Mangod

Feb 20, 2011
anthony87 said:
Too bad it wasn't something like "The fuck is the point of us anymore? #royalfamilyderp".

Serious question though, what point do they serve? What does the Royal Family actually do besides give Sky News something to fill a broadcast with?
Well, she provides the British government with 'uge amounts of dosh, for starters.

wooty

Vi Britannia
Aug 1, 2009
It'll all be good, as long as they keep Prince Phil off of twitter...

Christ, imaging the trolling and controversy......that he would post up.

Evonisia

Your sinner, in secret
Jun 24, 2013
wooty said:
It'll all be good, as long as they keep Prince Phil off of twitter...

Christ, imaging the trolling and controversy......that he would post up.
Please, somebody, get the good Prince on Twitter now. I could just imagine that most of her tweets would consist of apologies.

Best of the 3

Oct 9, 2010
I do like the Queen. If people get amazed of her Twitter antics, they should see what she's like behind the wheel of her Range Rover. Big Liz takes no prisoners on the road.

Thyunda

May 4, 2009
I find it kind of incredible that the same monarch who held the first televised coronation is also the first to send a tweet. I mean, neither are particularly incredible on their own, but it kind of puts into perspective just how little time has passed since the television came into existence and was available to the public, and well, technology as it is today.

Xan Krieger

Completely insane
Feb 11, 2009
This could just as easily be titled "Old Lady Uses Twitter". That's all it is is just an old woman using twitter, you'd think it'd be just as big of news when other people her age do it. (Yes I'm strongly against monarchies because they don't earn it, they're born with it and I don't believe in just being born into that kind of thing)

Abomination

Dec 17, 2012
Rozalia1 said:
lax4life said:
I like how the name of the account is BritishMonarchy rather than the Queen's own name. Not sure why I find that funny though.
I'd assume is so the next in line can *assume direct control* of the account or something of that nature.
Thanks for that mental image... but she's our SOVEREIGN, not a harbinger.

As a New Zealander I've always liked the Monarchy and I feel the constitutional monarchy government type carries with it the best of both worlds. She actually has to rubber stamp all of our laws into acts, essentially serving as a "constitution" of sorts. She has never turned down a law, even when we wished to legalize prostitution or gay marriage - and remember, she's also supposedly the Anglican version of the Pope.

The Royal family is also a significant part of the "anglosphere" culture. I'm struggling to see how they're detrimental to the commonwealth in any significant way that isn't considerably overshadowed by all the advantages they bring.

And have you seen William and Harry? Looking forward to Will's reign and Harry's drunken exploits on the media.

The_Darkness

Nov 8, 2010
kaizen2468 said:
Who the hell cares. This is honestly news for a gaming website? So incredibly stupid.
It's popular tech news, and the Escapist isn't just a gaming website anymore. Maybe it's not the most important piece of tech news in the world, but still, I enjoyed reading it.

CardinalPiggles

Jun 24, 2010
Meh, wake me up when she starts posting YouTube videos.

I can see it now, 'The Daily Royal Vlog'. With guest appearances from the lovable Corgi's.