Queen Elizabeth II Sends Her Very First Tweet

LordMonty

Badgerlord
Jul 2, 2008
Well she's more intrested in social media than me :) long live the queen 88 years old ain't bad, what else can she claim over her forefathers. First monarch in space?

Aesir23

Jul 2, 2009
CardinalPiggles said:
Meh, wake me up when she starts posting YouTube videos.

I can see it now, 'The Daily Royal Vlog'. With guest appearances from the lovable Corgi's.
It's sad but I'd probably watch that if only for the peculiarity of the Queen posting a vlog of all things.

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
And yet... I still don't give a damn about Twitter. I will say this though, this is the most genuine non-trolling thing I have seen it used for. Usually people just vomit their thoughts onto it and are surprised when someone is offended... and someone is offended every damn time.

CWestfall

Apr 16, 2009
Denamic said:
The first tweet that we know of. She might have been trollin' the net since the 90's as far as we know.
Indeed, and further back. The Queen sent the first royal e-mail while visiting a research facility on 26 March, 1976.

Alex Baas

Dec 2, 2011
This is further proof that our queen is actually pretty cool and modern. I wonder what else she might do on Twitter.

I'm Canadian btw, so she still is my queen

Someone Depressing

Jan 16, 2011
The Queen's still alive?

...Huh. I love how her Twitter handle's "BritishMonarchy" instead of "Elizabeth [something or other]".

God Bless the doting, senile old woman who could kill us all at the flip of the hat.

CaptainMidlands

Jul 6, 2010
The_Darkness said:
anthony87 said:
Too bad it wasn't something like "The fuck is the point of us anymore? #royalfamilyderp".

Serious question though, what point do they serve? What does the Royal Family actually do besides give Sky News something to fill a broadcast with?
They provide a face for various charities, they attract a LOT of tourism, and they provide a heck of a lot of land to the British Government rent-free... The Queen has also accumulated a fair amount of political knowledge over the years, and acts as a sort-of-advisor to whoever the current PM is. There's some debate over it, but my understanding is that many economists feel that the Royal Family is actually a fairly good investment for the UK - that is, when they're not providing the media with the next scandal...

Turns out though that they don't spend all their time sitting around in their pretty gardens feeding the corgis...

On topic: She is pretty immune to doxxing, isn't she? Also, there's an information age gallery at the Science Museum? Awesome, I'll have to check that out sometime.
I suggest you start with Republics myth busting page here http://republic.org.uk/what-we-want/monarchy-myth-buster, you will find a lot of the "monarchy" facts thrown about by monarchists are actually either not true at all (The Tourism one) or exaggerated and spun to play up the monarchy a lot more than deserved (Charity)

Xan Krieger

Completely insane
Feb 11, 2009
archiebawled said:
Xan Krieger said:
This could just as easily be titled "Old Lady Uses Twitter". That's all it is is just an old woman using twitter, you'd think it'd be just as big of news when other people her age do it. (Yes I'm strongly against monarchies because they don't earn it, they're born with it and I don't believe in just being born into that kind of thing)
Except that she's the queen of the UK, Canada, New Zealand and Australia (and the Falklands :)). That's like saying 'dude says words' when the president of the USA gives a speech. Technically true but missing the context that makes it relevant.
She's just a normal old woman, same as any other in the world. The president of the US though was (usually) elected to do a job. That's what separates the president from the so called royal family.

Kopikatsu

May 27, 2010
Xan Krieger said:
This could just as easily be titled "Old Lady Uses Twitter". That's all it is is just an old woman using twitter, you'd think it'd be just as big of news when other people her age do it. (Yes I'm strongly against monarchies because they don't earn it, they're born with it and I don't believe in just being born into that kind of thing)
Why?

At least they're more or less trained in politics from birth, and having executive control over the government (I realize the BRF has long since lost their power) means that they can actually enact changes without getting blocked at every turn like elected officials, so they have the capability to actually get shit done.

Besides, the only people with any potential for being elected in the US are just corrupt panderers. Voting literally serves no purpose because there isn't anyone worth voting for by nature of how the system is set up. Just gotta choose your favorite color; red or blue. S'all the same in the end.

Xan Krieger

Completely insane
Feb 11, 2009
Kopikatsu said:
Xan Krieger said:
Why?

At least they're more or less trained in politics from birth, and having executive control over the government (I realize the BRF has long since lost their power) means that they can actually enact changes without getting blocked at every turn like elected officials, so they have the capability to actually get shit done.

Besides, the only people with any potential for being elected in the US are just corrupt panderers. Voting literally serves no purpose because there isn't anyone worth voting for by nature of how the system is set up. Just gotta choose your favorite color; red or blue. S'all the same in the end.
As much as I hate democracy I don't believe in people just being born to power, seems unfair to everyone else. I believe in everyone having an equal opportunity but sadly I know it'll never happen.

Gordon_4_v1legacy

Aug 22, 2010
I like the Queen, she always struck me as interesting and I have mad respect for Prince Harry; flying gunships is dangerous and as I understand it, an RPG does not discriminate. Plus I'd party with that guy in a second.

Alpha Maeko

Uh oh, better get Maeko!
Apr 14, 2010
Her first twitter message should've been 'lollivethequeen lolololololol'.

Just sayin'.

DTWolfwood

Better than Vash!
Oct 20, 2009
RatGouf said:
If she had done this sooner I'd assume her first tweet would've been death threats to Scotland if they left....
hah this made me chuckle. +1