Question for the Guitar Players?

mooncalf

<Insert Avatar Here>
Jul 3, 2008
Pretty much all 'right' answers so far, and I'll throw Django Reinhardt into the mix, he played better with two right-hand fingers missing than many guitarists manage with all fingers intact. The handicap also forwarded innovations of multiple guitars in one band. (1910-1953)

MrGFunk

Oct 29, 2008
gremily said:
Okay it's finally time to decide. It has been argued time and time again...
Who is the greatest Guitar Player ever?
You should add a poll to this thread with one option.

Jimi Hendrix.

AuntyEthel

Sep 19, 2008
It makes me laugh when people pick some knob like Michael Angelo Batio. All he has is muscle memory, no actual talent. Its like saying people who shred solos on Guitar Hero are good guitarists. Great guitarists should evoke emotion through their playing, and have a sense of musicality, not just go MEEDLYMEEDLYMEEDLYMEEDLYMEEDLYMEEDLYMEEDLYMEEDLY.

Anyways, I'm gonna pick J Mascis from Dinosaur Jr and the combo of Thurston Moore and Lee Ranaldo of Sonic Youth.

Vires Vox

Oct 16, 2008
Joe Bonamassa certainly ranks as my favourite guitarist, in my opinion his music writing combined with his voice make him an awesome guitarist, probably helps that I love blues music though.

notyouraveragejoe

Dehakchakala!
Nov 8, 2008
I honestly have to say the best is Jimi Hendrix. He was a brilliant guitarist and managed to fuse multiple styles. I find him to be the greatest ever.

However my favorite is Slash. In Guns and Roses he paved the way for Rock and Roll. He created one of the greatest pieces of guitar, Sweet Child O' Mine, as a joke. Then he moved onto Velvet Revolver and continued to rock on. Also he has a band called Slash's Snakepit. All of these bands have kick ass guitar.

Phillosophic

Oct 30, 2008
Jimi Hendrix.
For reasons, go read a copy of Crosstown Traffic, it explains it all. He basically took the blues to new places & at the time of his death left a gauntlet lying on the ground that no one has picked up since. He could wring so much emotion from his instrument, innovated in so many ways, he just played from the soul. Ever hear people cover his songs? They just sound two dimensional in comparison. I don't think anyone one will remember Steve Vai & his ilk long after they are gone, do you?

Blind Willie Johnson (slide player) & Robert Johnston also deserve a mention. Again, maybe not technically amazing but emotionally in a league of their own. Dark was the night by Blind Willie Johnson is one of the spookiest pieces of guitar I have ever heard & not an amp or effects pedal in sight.

Neosage

Elite Member
Nov 8, 2008
Not Good said:
DICK MOTHERFUCKIN' DALE
I actually burst out laughing, I love it when people say Blah MUTHER FUCKIN Blah.

So GAD mutherfuckin' ZOOKS

Phillosophic

Oct 30, 2008
Eggo said:
It's kind of depressing seeing names like Hendrix, SRV, and all these other guitarists being mentioned :(
Depressing in what way? I will throw Pete Tosh in there, awesome Reggae guitarist. Xavier Rudd & Ben Harper rock out on Lapsteel/Dobro too.

jdog345

Jul 10, 2008
Eggo said:
Do we have any actual musicians here?
Yes, I play guitar, however it is not my main instrument.(Bass FTW) I like Dan Auerbach. Simple, but awesome.