Question of the Day, April 10, 2010

Ghost

Spoony old Bard
Feb 13, 2009
I'm not fussy, maybe a slight preference towards real time. Turn based games are becoming less common now it seems.

midpipps

Feb 23, 2009
Turn Based is probably my favorite of the 2 but I play both. I think it really depends on the game and how the system is implemented.

My biggest problem with most real time games is that while I am sitting there getting ready to fire off some of the great spells that I have been given I either get hacked to pieces or the enemy moves and the spell misses completely. That and turn based doesn't require as much twitch based reflexes as much as it requires you to be able to think a turn or two ahead and make your turns based on that strategy.

gregitaly

Mar 12, 2009
I don't really care what kind of combat an RPG has, as long as the flow getting in and out of battles is quick and smooth. Also, if the battles also progressed smoothly, not taking forever to show a spell or attack. So for me Chrono Trigger is difficult to swallow; the pause is to long between transitioning in and out of fights, and the technique animations are also annoyingly long. Final Fantasy X still has one of my favorite battle systems of all time though.

Crossborder

Oct 16, 2008
I prefer Real time, but Turn based can be fun too. I like how I can make my own playstyle in Real time.

barinelg

Apr 9, 2010
I like both. Turn-based adds a higher level strategy in my opinion, since you only have 1 time slot to attack/heal/defend. Real-time fighting is fun as well, and presents it's challenges with split second decision-making.

Sonic Doctor

Time Lord / Whack-A-Newbie!
Jan 9, 2010
AC10 said:
I love both!
Same here. it depends on my mood on what I feel like playing.

I fired up my SNES emulator yesterday an started to play Final Fantasy 6(3 in the US) and I like that you can choose between active combat where the enemy can attack you at any time and wait combat where if you are trying to make a decision on what attack to use, the enemy can't attack you. Though even with the wait option it still feels like half real-time and half turn based, mainly because when the turn meters are filling up on your characters, the enemy can pummel the crap out of you.

A Raging Emo

Apr 14, 2009
I'm a fan of both, but if I got to [choose[/i], I'd have to choose Real Time just because I find the action more exciting.

deth2munkies

Jan 28, 2009
Turn based. To clarify, Bioware RPGs (Baldur's Gate, KotOR, NWN, Dragon Age) are all pseudo turn based. All actions are on a turn timer the turns just automatically occur if you don't pause the game.

Real-time combat would be stuff like Oblivion, and I really don't like that kind of combat too much.

Turn based allows you to form strategies to deal with a particular enemy instead of just charging in mashing the attack key.

Sjakie

Feb 17, 2010
Turn-based always gives me that 'playing chess' idea, it just gives me the idea that superior tactical/strategical planning will always come out on top, and i love it when that happens.
Real-time is more of quick witts and quick responses kinda game.
I prefer planning and then executing a crushing defeat on my opponent

mexicola

Feb 10, 2010
While I played and enjoyed both, I think I prefer real-time because of greater sense of involvment and action.

Crops

Probably more bored than you
Aug 16, 2009
Both work fine, if at least they work properly.

-Turn Based systems have the advantage of generally providing you with more options and more time to think and strategise against the disadvantage of making things feel stiff and slow.

-Real time generally works faster and more intuitive, but usually limits your options in combat and require more pre-combat setup qua moves and stuff to bring.

Either way, a game gets pretty boring if all you do is mash X for autoattack in turn based or for whatever is assigned to X in realtime.

Exocet

Pandamonium is at hand
Dec 3, 2008
I prefer real time,because it gives combat a more fluid feel,rather than being a staring contest between 2 groups,and because in my opinion,it fits the very definition of role playing game.
Let me explain:
In a good rpg,you want to connect with your character,feel as if you were in his shoes.When he's in battle,he shouldn't have all the time in the world to browse through his inventory/spellbook and plan 10 minutes in advance what he's going to do.I feel that if he doesn't have that luxury,I shouldn't either.Hence the real time.Anything else just takes me out of the game's atmosphere.

Keslen

I don't care about titles.
Jan 23, 2010
Neither one is inherently better than the other, they're very very different, but both enjoyable if they're not diluted (I'll come back to that). Each one rewards a different play style: turn based combat encourages planning ahead and articulating an optimal strategy (or at least close), real time encourages quick thinking and responsive reflexes.

In fact, there's really only one thing you can do to either system that will ruin it for me: dilute it with the other. Nothing annoys me more than a battle system that attempts to satisfy both crowds and winds up ruining itself. The free online flash game Sonny 2 is a good example. The combat is turn based, but they added an element of real time by putting a timer on your turn. If the timer runs out, you wind up doing nothing for that turn. This, of course, leads to a massive disadvantage which stems from nothing but a feeling of being cheated out of something.

In the other direction, the classic Final Fantasy ATB is a real time system ruined by turn based components (it's worth mentioning here that I'm not looking to praise or demean Final Fantasy in any way, shape or form here, just offer a brief analysis of its battle system). I can't count how many times the following scenario occurred for me. Three (or more, but three relevant) characters on the battle field: one almost dead, one at half hp, one at full hp. Healer's turn comes up and I select a heal for the almost dead one. While I was selecting the heal, the enemies turn came up and they chose to punch the almost dead one and end his life. My healer's turn actually comes up and his target is dead causing the AI to select a different target for the heal which inevitably seems to be the one at full hp rather than half.

In short: a turn based system where your action comes up, time stops until you make your choice after which time resumes and that choice executes immediately is fun. A real time battle system where time is constantly flowing and my character responds to my button presses whenever I make them (if only to report an error due to cooldown or mana lacking) is fun. Any combination invoking elements from both systems is annoying at best.

darth jacen

Sith Reviewer
Jul 15, 2009
Turn based is actually one of the main reasons I don't like certain RPG's, I really do fancy real time that much more.

Coldsnap

Oct 24, 2008
Ya know, in terms of RPGs, I'd say they're largely some sort of combination of both systems. Generally, characters require time between actions and that allows for strategic use of abilities. Real time elements often come into play by having the enemies act as well, whether you've taken your turn or not.

So I guess I'm trying to say that in the games I generally put under the RPG label, I find that a good combination of these mechanics works best for me.