Question of the Day: December 8, 2010

DetectiveSparky

Size doesn't matter
Jul 16, 2009
First and foremost I have to either be very interested in the game, either by drooling over it while waiting for it's release or I go into the store and look at the stuff in the collector's edition and figure out whether or not I want it.

I will get a collector's edition if all or a couple of these are met:

A) It has something like a full soundtrack (or something close, 3 songs a full soundtrack it does not make)
B) Has an artbook (I love flipping through these, comics also fall into this category)
C) Something extra like a deck of cards (I collect cards), sometimes figure/statue falls in this category only if it looks cool
D) Steelcase
E) Doesn't cost me a whole lot more, it's usually like an extra 10 bucks or so, so I tend to go for it, what I've saved in the past by searching for cheap new games pretty much balances out right now.

C95J

I plan to live forever.
Apr 10, 2010
If it is a game I know I will like then yeah, I will think about getting the special edition. In all other cases I won't. So yeah they are pretty cool :)

tharglet

Jul 21, 2010
I look at them, but rarely buy them, as they aren't often worth the price tag imo.
I did get the special edition of Bioshock with the Big Daddy figure, as it was something like only £5 more, and I have the figure on display in my house :p

Soundtrack CDs are usually a pile of meh to me - the music is usually good with the game, but not the sort of thing I'd just sit and listen to.

Suicideking

Oct 28, 2009
I love them. I bought the Warcraft 3 CE, World of Warcraft CE, The Burning Crusade CE, Wrath of the Lich King CE, Cataclysm CE, Star Wars Galaxies CE, The Sims Online CE, Auto Assault CE, GTA4 CE, Halo 2 CE, Halo 3 Legendary Edition, Halo Wars CE, Mass Effect CE, Mass Effect 2 CE, Assassin's Creed CE, Prey CE, Resistance 2 CE, all 3 Guild Wars campaign CE's, Starcraft 2 CE, Star Trek Online CE, DJ Hero Renegade Edition, Dragon Age Origins CE, Fallout 3 CE, True Crime Streets of New York CE, Rainbow Six Vegas 2 CE, Hellgate London CE, Devil May Cry 4 CE, Fable 2 CE, Command And Conquer Red Alert 3 CE, Splinter Cell Chaos Theory CE, Mortal Kombat Deception Kollector's Edition, Gears of War CE, Gears of War 2 CE, Call of Duty 4 Modern Warfare CE, Schindler's List CE, Spiderman 1 DVD CE, Clerks 2 CE, Wanted DVD CE, and Family Guy Blue Harvest CE.

Also I have pre-ordered the LittleBigPlanet 2 CE, DC Universe Online CE, and the Witcher 2 CE.

Iamdude

Jul 7, 2010
Anybody else think it's weird that there's 2 options for liking them and 5 for not liking them?

Yvl9921

Our Sweet Prince
Apr 4, 2009
You know what does it for me? The box art. The rest of the stuff be damned, I will pay $20 extra for better box art. I learned this when I bought the Mass Effect 2 CE.

Nemu

In my hand I hold a key...
Oct 14, 2009
Blizz has fantastic Collector's Editions, hands down.

I've bought other sets, for platform games, for WAR and Tabula Rasa and Final Fantasy, but Blizz's sets (both WoW and SC, I expect to buy an awesome Diablo III set, too) are just jam-packed. Soundtracks, mousepads, boocks, the only thing that is missing is an authenticator. Tho, I suppose, if yer buying a Blizz CE, you already have one.

CEs aren't for everyone, and I understand that, but they aren't SUPPOSED to be--they're called "Collector's Editions" for a reason.

DSK-

May 13, 2010
I just want to buy the game, not all of the other stuff that comes with the collectors edition. Some of it can be cool, sure, but it's not for me.

Dragon Zero

No one of note
Apr 16, 2009
Most of the time I like them, such as my Collectors Edition of Mass Effect 2 or Splinter Cell: Conviction. I did develop a rule that I'll never pay over $20 more than the base game due to my purchase of the God of War Ultimate Edition. Essentially, I paid $100+ for the game, a plastic box, a skin that the game would rather I not use, an art book, and that documentary about the inspiration of the franchise. What's worse is the fact that the specially made Pandora's Box replica doesn't even look that special, its just some gray plastic model with a few parts painted gold, I could find better replicas on eBay for half the price! Thus I made that rule, never get a special edition if it costs over $80.

Macrobstar

Apr 28, 2010
yep got Dragon age origins CE, New vegas CE (107 of 6650)and dead rising 2 CE, new vegas one was awesome, dragon age was dissapointing

Assassin Xaero

Jul 23, 2008
I bought Fallout New Vegas' (big lesson learned there) mostly just so I could say I've bought a CE. Probably won't be getting another just because... unless, well... if the release a CE of Homefront with the novel included, I'll be getting that.

GeorgW

ALL GLORY TO ME!
Aug 27, 2010
I never feel like they're worth the money, but I'm glad they exist.

GonzoGamer

Apr 9, 2008
I never buy them myself but got the Fallout 3 one as a gift. I ended up really liking that game so I appreciate having the lunchbox that I still haven't converted into a high yield explosive devise and the Bobblehead which hasn't made me any more intelligent, charismatic, or stronger.

I would only want a CE if I really liked the game but how am I going to know I'm going to like it that much on launch day.

SageRuffin

M-f-ing Jedi Master
Dec 19, 2009
I like having the extra goodies usually associated with such versions of games - "privileged" DLC, soundtracks, artbooks, stuff like that. If there is one, I'll probably get it.

Rombor

Mar 29, 2010
Yes, I love them! I always try to find a collector's edition if I can. Just because. However, I cry together with my wallet every time.

comedian2603

Dec 8, 2010
Depend's on the game really. The Dead Rising 2 Zombrex Edition was pretty cool and unusual. However,I must confess to having bought the Signature Edition of GT5. Yes,it's a lot of money,but by god it's an absolutely beautifully crafted package!

sms_117b

Keeper of Brannigan's Law
Oct 4, 2007
I went throught my collectors edition phase, I still get some, but it has to be worth it, preferably something extra in game, like a Digital Deluxe version.