Question of the Day, Feb. 24, 2010

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
Question of the Day, Feb. 24, 2010

Most games have a range of difficulties for those who like truly brutal challenges, but do you ever go the other way and play on Easy?

Swaki

Apr 15, 2009
if a game scares me or is just brutally hard (stalker and such) yeah i put it on easy.

i paid for the game and damn it im gonna finish it.

Katherine Kerensky

Why, or Why Not?
Mar 27, 2009
I normally go through a game on normal first, to get a taste for the game and figure out how the enemy ticks, then I go for the harder difficulties.
Not much else to say, really.

Valkyira

Mar 13, 2009
I mostly play the hardest straight away, but I like playing completed games on a lower difficulty.

TriggerHappyAngel

Self-Important Angler Fish
Feb 17, 2010
most of the time i just start on the default difficulty (Medium most of the time), but if it is too Easy/Hard i just switch it.

Batfred

Nov 11, 2009
I said no, but I lied.

After I have completed it on Hard, opened Crushing/ Ridiculous or whatever and have completed that, I will often replay on easy to get any missing treasures/ trophies etc.

Kollega

Jun 5, 2009
Sometimes. Nowadays i'm good enough to play most games on normal difficulty.

Mushroom 118i

Jan 21, 2009
I'm doing it on Dragon Age, because I'm not fond of the combat, and just want to play through the story.

UnravThreads

Aug 10, 2009
I always play on the easiest setting, especially if it's something like D&D.
I can find RPGs hard enough without having to worry about blowing my own team up, or I'm not confident enough at RTS games to use a higher setting.
It's not just a case of skill, it's more a case of I would rather cruise through the game, not get stressed and focus on the story.

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
I normally play games on casual or easy. There are some exceptions of course but normally I go for easy.

Spiner909

Dec 3, 2009
I rarely use Easy right off the bat, but on BioShock 2 I switched to Easy immediately. The game was too frustrating for me otherwise.

Darkwolf9

Aug 19, 2008
I typically only play on normal difficulty. Some games only give you two options where one is easy and the other is hard. I've been playing for so long that for most games playing it on hard is about the only way to get any challenge.

Delock

Mar 4, 2009
Any game where I want to get my story first, or just feel like a complete bad@$$ (therefore raising the amount of fun I have with it), I play on easy. I'll bump the difficulty up when I want a challenge. However, sometimes I'll just play on Normal from the beginning.

I'm actually fine with a game having the difficulty set on Normal or Easy as default, but games like the heavy rain demo need to know that you should atleast tell people you have them set on hard before they begin.

Andronicus

Terror Australis
Mar 25, 2009
A long time ago, I decided that when I got a game, I would play through it in easy first, then normal, then hard, and so on. Once it finally occurred to me that I had neither the time nor the inclination to do that, it became my new policy to pick the highest difficulty possible and just work through that, step by gloriously hellish step. It actually means I get good at a game fairly fast; you'd have to learn all the right stuff if you want to continue onto the next stage as quickly as possible.

EDIT:
Kalezian said:
Ill do easy if there are "Beat the game on X difficulty" achievements/trophies, only because I like getting them in order.

however, if the game doesn't have them, then Ill do normal and tweak the difficulty as needed.

Example, in Fallout 3: Broken Steel, I had to up the difficulty AND lower the controller sensitivity
Don't games usually give you all the achievements/trophies for the lower difficulties anyway if you beat a game on, say, hard?

phoenix352

Mar 29, 2009
i usually play on easy because i rather enjoy the game and its story then have all the focus on surviving the next enemy...

i start with higher difficulty in most fps games tho

but on 2nd play through i usually use the hardest or almost hardest difficulty... so it steps up the game a lot from easy..lol feels like a whole new game

ssgt splatter

Oct 8, 2008
Unless I'm in the mood to go for the achievements you can only get through completing the game on harder difficulties, I always put it on easy.

Chipperz

Apr 27, 2009
Depends on the game. I play for the storyline and experience, so unless the storyline is awful but for some reason I want to keep playing it, I'll stay on Easy/Normal.

I don't think I'd ever go above the easiest setting in a BioWare game. They just don't understand difficulty curves.