Question of the Day, Feb. 24, 2010

Shaegor

Oct 29, 2009
It completely depends, if the game keeps kicking my ass and thus breaking the flow, then I pop it on an easier difficulty. Did so with Dragon Age, didn't feel like a challenge, it was just annoying.

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
swaki said:
if a game scares me or is just brutally hard (stalker and such) yeah i put it on easy.

i paid for the game and damn it im gonna finish it.
Same thoughts here. I just want to finish it, if I want a challenge I can always go back through it at a later date

cptawesome

Nov 2, 2009
A great example of this is Halo. sometimes, i enjoy pushing my mad skillz to the limit, and sometimes, i enjoy just going on a blood fueled rampage.

Magnalian

Dec 10, 2009
I'm not a serious RTS gamer, so once in awhile I'll start up Dawn of War, put the enemy, Orks, on easy setting and then repeatedly bash them in the head with a baneblade tank or a set of dreadnoughts.

Good times.

Izerous

Dec 15, 2008
Greyfox105 said:
I normally go through a game on normal first, to get a taste for the game and figure out how the enemy ticks, then I go for the harder difficulties.
Not much else to say, really.
I take this same approach, however depending on the game I won't always complete on normal before I crank it up to higher difficulties.

MacosEagle77

Jul 29, 2009
I always play on Normal or Hard. The only exception was DMC1 in which it took me a week to get halfway through on Normal, but it took me about 4 hours on Easy. That game needed some difficulty between Easy Automatic and "Normal."

FoolKiller

Feb 8, 2008
I only ever really play easy to either get achievements that don't stack with higher difficulties or to get a hang of a game that I don't really understand how to play.

hazabaza1

Want Skyrim. Want. Do want.
Nov 26, 2008
People who said 'no' have obviously never played a Stalker game. Hard as hell.

Beatrix

Jul 1, 2009
I tend to start out on Easy and adjust if it's too much of a cakewalk.
Unless higher difficulties yield better goodies, I'm a sucker for unlockables.

Bayonetta for example, I played that on Normal since the Easy and Very Easy difficulties don't count toward unlocking the Gunchucks.

_Cake_

Apr 5, 2009
Easy is ok, but I rather very easy :p Unless I'm play Bust-A-Groove or Fallout 3.

reg42

Mar 18, 2009
The only games I play on easy nowadays are Bioware's more traditional RPG's. I always start off on easy, but I end up getting beaten down to easy.

Frank_Sinatra_

Digs Giant Robots
Dec 30, 2008
Depends on the game really. Sometimes I want to punish myself into a coma, and other times I just want to burn through a game to get it over with.

Flour

Mar 20, 2008
It really depends on the game. If the game is a poorly designed piece of shit with cheap deaths and a punishing checkpoint system then I either play on easy or cheat.

I don't mind a difficult game, hell, sometimes losing is fun [http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/]. But when losing isn't fun and the game mocks me for not doing a difficult section right he first time then it can fuck off and die in some corner or something is very simple and I will not play the game how it was supposed to be played.

TraumaHound

Jan 11, 2009
I voted "sometimes" but I rarely take it out of the "normal" setting. I figure the "sometimes" for me would more refer to using cheats to get through parts of a game.

Going the other way, on a hardest setting, I've always found more frustrating than anything. In the case of the Halo series, I've never beaten the game on the hardest setting. I've watched vids, read tips & tricks, but I still can't get through the hardest setting. I think I find it more frustrating in that I've already beaten the game so I know what's coming or where to go next but the toughness and seemingly endlessness of the enemies just means I'm constantly restarting.

Thus, the locked achievement for completing the game on the hardest setting taunts me and probably always will.

The Great JT

Oct 6, 2008
You'd be pretty hard-pressed to find me playing on high difficulty. Mostly it's because of bullshit penalties that the game inflicts on you that isn't present on higher difficulty settings. A perfect example is the Left 4 Dead games. Left 4 Dead and L4D2 penalize people for friendly fire on higher difficulty by allowing you to damage your allies (a common griefer thing), and I utterly suck ass trying not to get hit with friendly fire penalties. I'm serious, in any given Left 4 Dead 1 campaign I'd rack up anywhere from 14 to 25 friendly fire penalties and in Left 4 Dead 2 is no better, hitting somewhere between, well, 14 to 25. Part of it is that I aggresivley try to assist by killing zombies munching on my allies' asses and part of it could be my weapon choice. I usually take the Deagle and either the Combat Rifle, Auto-Shotgun, Combat Shotgun or Sniper Rifle, and this can prove bad because the Deagle is a piercer (its bullets will go through multiple zombies and often this leads to me hitting allies), the shotguns are of course shotguns and have a wide spread, the Combat Rifle's burst mode hits zombies fine but that third shot ends up hitting allies as well, and the Sniper Rifle I just suck with. It also doesn't help that allies are ALWAYS jumping in front of me, so maybe those jerks deserve it for because heaven forbid they can shoot a zombie by standing THREE INCHES TO THE RIGHT!! (Yes, that was a SpoonyOne SWAT 4 Let's Play joke.)

Then there's the achievements. Look, if you can get the same achievements on a lower difficulty, what's the point of playing on a higher difficulty? I mean other than having to deal with more unwilling-to-die cookie-cutter baddies and fiddling with annoying controls and the bad camera that seems to be in most games.

Indecizion

Aug 11, 2009
always, i mean when i started gaming id play easy first but now most fps skills are transferable as are most rts skills so i just start on a harder skill if its too hard ill lessen it but ill never play on easy its just not interesting to me unless i find it hard.

Monshroud

Evil Overlord
Jul 29, 2009
I play most games on the 'normal' difficulty, mainly so I can enjoy the game and learn all the mechanics without worrying about dying in 4 or 5 hits. I usually will play the harder difficulty afterwards though.

The only game that I can remember lowering to the easier setting was Devil May Cry 4, and that was just to get the achievements, because for some dumb reason, in that game beating levels and the game on a harder difficulty does not give you the achievements for the lower ones.

GundamSentinel

The leading man, who else?
Aug 23, 2009
Mostly normal on first run. Then a playthrough on easy just to have fun followed by a try on a harder difficulty level. Some games I just start on easy. Hack & slash like Devil May Cry mostly, I'm just not good at that stuff but I do like to play it. Or sometimes games are just so tedious but I want to finish them (Dragon Age for example).

I always like playing on easy. It's a game, it shouldn't feel like hard work.