Question of the Day, January 11, 2011

Hippobatman

Resident Mario sprite
Jun 18, 2008
I'd rather stay behind. The natural conditions on Mars seems a bit... Lacking.

One way trip? No.

Two way trip? Sure! It'll be like a holiday, at least in my head.

gellert1984

Apr 16, 2009
aaaaaDisregard said:
Imagine your descendants learning your first words there: "Looks photoshopped, yeah I can see the difference in pixelation".
Fixed :D

I assumed the one-way trip thing was to start a martian colony, not just to go there and die when the oxygen runs out cos nobody bought oxygenating plants and a biodome.

Can you get broadband on the red planet?

Jaebird

Aug 19, 2008
Unless David Duchovny is throwing a bikini/speedo bash on Mars, I'm keeping my ass on Earth.

Acidwell

Beware of Snow Giraffes
Jun 13, 2009
As long as there were plenty of people going i wouldn't mind, since if there were less then about 100 there would be some serious cabin fever

GrizzlerBorno

Sep 2, 2010
Would i be able to have a normal Xbox Live account working on an Xbox on the ship (with Microsoft giving me a free copy of every game that launches)? Are the guys and gals i'm going with, just generally fun and interesting people? Then hell yeah, sign me up. I have no stake on this godforsaken rock anyway!

uppitycracker

Oct 9, 2008
I get bored enough on this planet, I'd prolly lose it and start slaughtering countless other fellow mars residents just for shits and giggles

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
HK_01 said:
If it's actually a well-planned expedition to establish a colony on Mars, I'd seriously consider it. I bet it'd be interesting.
I agree. I would seriously consider going but, not if the trip consists of stuffing a couple hundred people into a rocket and shooting us at the red planet. I would want to know what/ who exactly is going with me to Mars, what our places in the new community would be and, how soon we launch our attack on the dwellers of the blue sphere how long it would take us to get the place nice and terraformed so as to invite Earth-folk for a nice, friendly visit.

bladester1

Feb 5, 2008
If Mars wasn't a barren wasteland of Death (with no OXYGEN). I would so I could get away from all the nonsense that I have to deal with here on earth.

dragonslayer32

Jan 11, 2010
If my friends and family died, sure, as long as my name goes down in history. Although, I'd rather have my friends and family.

XT inc

Jul 29, 2009
depends on the scale of it, and how they go about it, and how long it would take, and the risk factors involved. I mean there is no chance in hell I'd go there with a small group of people on a shoddy ship made by the lowest bidder.

You'd need an large populous of skilled builders to zergrush the planet and construct living quarters to establish a foothold on mars, But realistically I don't think it is too viable I mean shit happens, and we need to focus more on the long fuse burning our sun out so we can gtfo and survive in the galaxy.

It's like a noob playing an rts, you have to focus the other teams aren't waiting for you to turtle up. Get ready to move out cuz if your con yard gets toasted your ass is roasted.

Furism

Sep 10, 2009
If the expedition is properly organized, why not. That means big installations, the ability to cultivate plants indoor and so on. Pretty much like the same you see in big spaceships in science-fiction, only on a planet.

Unfortunately, it'll be decades before we can send that kind of payload. We'd probably have to build an advanced station on the Moon, or simply build the necessary ships directly in space. For this we need very cheap means of transportation from earth to its orbit. That means space elevator (we know how to make the cable, but not how to make it more than a few meters long), or space planes, much like Virgin Galactic's.

So in the end I think that question will be relevant in about 20 years at best.

CatmanStu

Jul 22, 2008
Eventually this planet will be raped beyond the point is has any beauty or character left, but not in my lifetime. As long as there are fields and trees; oceans and glaciers; this planet has more beauty and interest than that big dull red dustball out there.

To paraphrase Mr T: "You aint getting me on any damn shuttle fool!"

PS. I will also refuse to drink any milk offered to me by a member of any space program.

DSK-

May 13, 2010
It would really depend.

......would there be tea and biscuits?

I think I'll stay here and moan about things if that's alright with you.

Bloodstain

Jun 20, 2009
At long as there is electricity and computers and internet (connected to earth) and some friends of mine, then yeah.
Otherwise most likely not.

duchaked

Dec 25, 2008
nah I'd rather just live here
unless I'm old and without a family
and dying of something
then maybe haha wouldn't that be something
well okay I probably speak for a lot of people