Question of the Day, January 14, 2011

The Escapist Staff

Jul 10, 2006
Question of the Day, January 14, 2011

A recent study showed that being sedentary for more than two hours a day could have severe health implications [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/106924-News-Flash-Sitting-on-Your-Ass-All-Day-Isnt-Healthy]. How much time a day do you spend sitting down in front of a TV or computer screen?

uppitycracker

Oct 9, 2008
Well not only do I spend 10 hours a day at work in front of the computer, but I also do many other things on it once I get home, including lots of music related things (band promotion, mastering of tracks, various sound editing, ect), as well as a lot of gaming when my video card isn't dead. So really, almost the entire time I'm awake.

Leg End

Romans 12:18
Oct 24, 2010
Country
United States
18/7, all day, erry day.

I need to sleep more. :B

erbkaiser

Romanorum Imperator
Jun 20, 2009
I work IT in an office, so that's already at least 8 hours per day. Add to that my "TV" (watching DVDs) and gaming, and I think I'll easily hit 12-14 hours per day.

Marter

Elite Member
Legacy
Oct 27, 2009
Any cause, huh? So, me spending almost all of my free time watching movies or going on the computer is more likely to get me hit by a car or shot by a mugger?

Good study.

Anyway, I don't care much if it will kill me faster, as I'm likely heading for an early death anyway. :/

Lovesfool

Jan 28, 2009
Gaming aside, I think that computer screens are something that most of us simply cannot avoid. Especially if you are working a desk job, then you have at least 5+ hours a day in front of a computer screen, just from work.

I have been a heavy PC monitor user since my very early teens, if not earlier. I am at my 30s now and I am still fine, both as far as my eyes and as far as my mind is concerned.

At least I think I am...

Mar 30, 2010
8 hours a day thanks to work, and probably 4 hours a day for TV, gaming, DVDs etc. So basically half my day. Heart attack here I come!

Although the study did specify it studied Scottish men, and Scotland has one of the (if not the) worst reputations for heart disease in Europe, so I'm not sure how conclusive those findings are.

GrizzlerBorno

Sep 2, 2010
I can't keep track, cause i'm on and off. I'll be studying for 30 minutes that watching a couple videos, responding to a couple threads and then back to the meat locker. But not more than 4-5 hours. I hope. And WOW that many people are 6+ hours.....*whistle*

DTWolfwood

Better than Vash!
Oct 20, 2009
Construction Manager closing out a job. So all my time is spent in front of a computer screen atm. That's already 6+ hours then of course i spend all of my free time at home watching the GSL, Anime, and hardcore PC gaming.

Starcraft 2 spectating has consumed my life! (wish i had the friends to play the game more often tho)

uppitycracker

Oct 9, 2008
Marter said:
Any cause, huh? So, me spending almost all of my free time watching movies or going on the computer is more likely to get me hit by a car or shot by a mugger?

Good study.

Anyway, I don't care much if it will kill me faster, as I'm likely heading for an early death anyway. :/
live fast, die young, leave a good looking corpse, i always say

Ganthrinor

Apr 15, 2009
I sit in front of a screen of some type roughly 8 hours a night at work. Not neseccarily LOOKING at it, but in front of it. At home, I slouch in front of my PC 4-8 hours a day. Again, not strictly looking at it, but in front of it.