Question of the Day, January 26, 2011

bak00777

Oct 3, 2009
ive had so many ideas for games/novels/movies floating around in my head for the last 5yrs. Most of them are Sci Fi or Fantasy, but i also have ideas for shooters. I have back stories, and an complete universes for several of my ideas. I should rly start writing them out, maybe write a book.

Ruptuk

Nov 6, 2010
I do make games for a livin... so other.

If you like to sleep, like to be paid a decent wage for the amount of hours you work, want to make your game ideas ever or like playing lots of game I would say DON'T go in to the games industry. It's a stupid amount of hard work and you only get to play one broken game for 3 months to 2 years for 8-14 hours a day. In my honest opinion it's calling, if after you have been up for 26 hours sat in the office and you still love what you do then it's for you. If not go have fun.

PS- Uni won't teach you everything you need to know how to make games, its not just technical skill that you need and you don't have to know any programming to be an artist and that goes the other way around.

Legion

Were it so easy
Oct 2, 2008
I don't think I have the necessary skills to be honest. The only skill I'd say that I have is that I am fairly good at writing, but I lack the experience that most game developers would want.

I wouldn't mind becoming a game critic or reviewer though.

Ranooth

BEHIND YOU!!
Mar 26, 2008
Well i am currently at Uni doing a games Production course and an intern at a local company :D

GeorgW

ALL GLORY TO ME!
Aug 27, 2010
Where's the "I already make games" option??
I'd love to make games, and will probably dabble with it one day, but I doubt I'll go professional.

Nenad

Mar 16, 2009
megaraccoon said:
i'd love too but i failed miserably in IT in school i was way better at creative writing and history
Maybe you could creatively write game stories and histories? ^^

As for me, I would like to be what I want to be, but it would be awesome if what I want to be could have a part in making games. Not quite sure what I want to be yet...

Ravek

Aug 6, 2009
Wow, only five people voted 'I'd rather make more money working elsewhere' like I did. Of course this is a gamer communnity, so it's to be expected that a lot of people would be interested in the game industry, but I'd rather have a job where I get a decent salary for my work. There are plenty of programmer positions that are more interesting than game development anyway.

EightGaugeHippo

Apr 6, 2010
I already do make games, noprofit, no company. Just for private use between me and friends/family.

I would like to get into it professionally as an artist. Designing worlds and characters is one thing I have always loved doing.

hutchy27

Jan 7, 2011
I'm learning to become a game designer so my answer is ummm.... yes. :p
£32,203 a year is good enough for me as my family growing up earned over £10,000 less then that but we still got along just fine ( that's me, two sisters and my parents).

Jonci

Sep 15, 2009
Other: I am a game programmer, but in the simulation industry. I make good money. Significantly more than 51K, at least.

Palademon

Mar 20, 2010
I choose two things. The game industry being the only industry I've been interested in so I'm obviously going to aim for it, but doubt that I have the neccesary skills. Also, I don't think I like the idea of doing the same job my entire life.

tj236

Oct 6, 2010
I know how hard game designers work and how much they get paid. Not at all worth it in my opinion, but thank goodness they exist!

I get paid more in IT than any game designer I know. I know 3, just to be clear, and one works for, what could be, the biggest developer in the world. Still makes less than I do, and does not have any sort of a social life at all. Always working.

starwarsgeek

Nov 30, 2009
I'm working towards a nursing degree at the moment. This puts me in the interesting situation where I'd have the time to learn the necesary skills and develop games independently without the risk of game development being my primary source of income.

GonzoGamer

Apr 9, 2008
People who work in games are overworked and underpaid.
Sure I have some cool ideas I would like to see made but the only way I would be involved with a dev studio is if I bought one and that?s generally a really bad investment so that depends more on my more lucrative investments and businesses making more money than I know what to do with. Then it would be a good and fun tax sink.
That way I would also feel more free to try some of my more risky ideas and not just buy some IP I can run into the ground.

Wombat of Doom

Mar 10, 2010
I would love to write for games-- I can't code to save my soul, and have little-to-no talent in visual arts or anything, so, "other," because while I would love a chance to write for a company, I'm not going to try to get into the "game design" field any time soon.

setvak

Sep 6, 2009
I'd be interesting in writing the story (creative writing minor here), but it's not a goal of mine. It would be an incredible opportunity though.