Question of the Day, March 18, 2010

Ocelano

Apr 14, 2009
Frankly I'm to lazy to take the time to do it properly so I just pick random numbers for date/month and only bother with the yea to put me above the 18 fresh-hold

Georgie_Leech

Nov 10, 2009
If I'm registering for a service, then the real date. For forums and the like, no. My YouTube profile claims I'm 109 years old.

Florion

Dec 7, 2008
When I was younger (variously, younger than 13 or younger than 16) I would often bump up my age and proceed to inject a certain level of stupid onto websites (mind you, back then it was places like Neopets, so...).

Nowadays, I usually put my real age on sites that remember my info, just because I can and it won't harm me. If it's for something like watching a video where I have to be 17 or older, I just say I'm born January 1st (random year before 1992) because it's easier.

Chechosaurus

Jul 20, 2008
Nope. According to most "age gates" I was born on 1st Jan in any year between 1990 and 1950. That's only because I'm 19 and can therefore view whatever I please so I just feel that my actual date of birth is irrelevant.

Kollega

Jun 5, 2009
BlindMessiah94 said:
Kollega said:
Nope. I always say i was born in Feubrary 31st, 1984. Or Feubrary 29, if 31st does not work (most of the time it does).
What's a Feubrary?
Well excuuuuuse me, princess! I meant February. English is not my first language.

Hutchy_Bear

May 12, 2009
No, not because im under age or anything it's just that I can't be arsed to change the days and the months, so I end up on the 1st of January.

bassdrum

jygabyte!
Oct 6, 2009
I feel as though age gates are useless and obtrusive. Any kid can pretty easily defeat the system by adding a few fictional years to their life, so they don't stop anybody from any 'mature content'. Plus, given the number of minors playing M-rated games, I'd say the system is largely unneeded--not only are companies not actually keeping people out, they're trying to stop the people who use their products.

OT: No, it's far more entertaining to come up with fantastic dates to get through age gates ('Why yes, I was indeed born during the American Civil War, why do you ask?').

Ophiuchus

8 miles high and falling fast
Mar 31, 2008
Depends how lazy I'm feeling - I'm 26 so there's no need to lie, but often it's simply too much effort to set the day and month when just setting the year to my real year of birth is enough.

(Also, hello Escapists, it's good to be back after nearly a month of having no internet connection.)

Kingemoney

Dec 5, 2009
I don't put my real age in, even though I'm old enough to the point where it doesn't matter. I'm also an extremely paranoid person, and the idea of giving away personal information like that somewhat frightens.

Idlemessiah

Zombie Steve Irwin
Feb 22, 2009
I always used to lie about my age on those things.
Now I'm nearly 20 theres no need but I still do it, purely because scrolling the year option down to the 70s/80s is faster than putting in my actual date of birth.

Swaki

Apr 15, 2009
i am 19 going on 20 (fellows will fall in line) so theres no real reason for me to lie, but i dont bother typing in my birthday, i just scroll randomly down on the year, 1 1 1980 usually.

Layz92

May 4, 2009
I never use my real age. Just because I'm kinda paranoid about having my real details on the net even if they are locked on some server somewhere.

Flight

Mar 13, 2010
I do, especially considering I'm old enough to view any content the sites have by now. :p

Twilight_guy

Sight, Sound, and Mind
Nov 24, 2008
My real birthday is here on the Escapist.
For anything that I have to make a profile for, I will give a real birthday and for certain gates I will to. Of course If I have to use them multiple times (curse you steam!) or they are a pain I will use January 1, 1990. Also, The Escapist should take an offical survey of how old its members are someday.

Abcxyq

Jan 3, 2010
I never have the patience to put in my real birthday. It's much easier to put in random crap, unless I'm registering for something.

By the way, I was born January 1, 1900.

Fr331anc3r

Nov 6, 2008
The sad thing is, I'm well past old enough to actually put in my own age, I'm just too lazy to actually find it in the drop down menus. If it's a type in one like on the Battlefield website I will put in my real age though. Odd thing how lazy those drop downs make me.

Leftyshu

Mar 19, 2010
I wonder why they do it? It's not stopping anyone. Is it like the [i'm a hoomin] buttons to stop bots? I have friends who makes sure that everytime they enter 6/6/1966 and others that go for as old as possible. I'd love to see the statistics for the ages of people who use the internet most. No youngsters and tons of old people who still act quite immature considering.

Anyway I do if it's game related. I like to stand up for the older gamer..and having a halloween birthday is something people should share:)