Question of the Day, March 24, 2010

Shynobee

Apr 16, 2009
I have a feeling that if every one can see your sexual preference out in the open, then it will only increase the number of derogatory slurs that are used, so, I'm gonna go with no.

cobra_ky

Nov 20, 2008
Where's the "Abso-friggin'-lutely!" option?

Could it invite abuse? Probably, but leave it up to the user decide whether they want to deal with it or not. It's not in the service provider's interest to "protect" users against their will.

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
I don't care and wouldn't use a sexual preference as part of any of my screen names. I do know that other people do care about such things though and I don't see why they should be inhibited.

Eric the Orange

Gone Gonzo
Apr 29, 2008
Uh, kinda both those answers. Yes you should have the choice to. But also yes it's probably a bad idea to say your gay among certain online gaming communities. Unless you don't mind the abuse I guess.

Doug

Apr 23, 2008
Unrulyhandbag said:
1. What has sexual preference got to do with gaming? What difference does it make if the guy shooting zombies with me is gay or straight?

2. Just like any other tag option a lot of people are just going to lie rendering the whole thing moot.

3. why isn't there a "why should I care" option.
1. What does Gamertag/Screen name have to do with gaming? Why should "Doug-McNutball" be ok, but "GayDoug" not be allowed? (not gay, btw, purely for illustration)

2. And good for them - so?

3. Because if your going to bother voting, have an opinion on the matter.

Neurowaste

Apr 4, 2008
I, personally, would not find as long as it was appropriate. But, on the other hand, it might cause a whole slew of problems with people abusing it and people being purposely segregated for their sexuality.So because of that I think it saves a lot of headaches if you keep that to yourself unless it's relevant.

ace_of_something

Sep 19, 2008
a good friend of mine has used the handle 'Buck Futter' which is a play one words of his own name and just sounds funny to the ear he has used this for easily 15 years on tons of different games. Apparently this was too sexual for Xbox Live (but not until the 360 came out) and he was forced to change it.
I thought this was stupid.

I don't really care what someone's 'handle' is but if it's really really stupid I'm probably not going to friend you for later no matter how good you are (looking at you CronicPayne420 wherever you are)

Vet2501

Mighty Morphin' Power Ranger
Nov 9, 2009
I don't see why it shouldn't be allowed. However, I also don't see why people feel the need to announce their sexuality to everyone they meet online, it's not like it makes you special.

Treblaine

Jul 25, 2008
Yes. In fact I think it should be a requirement.

See for a long time XBL effectively had a "Don't ask, Don't tell" policy, as in there is no actual exclusion of gay gamers but they'll face the ban hammer if they ever happen to bring it up. In frightening synchronism, XBL has followed in step with the US Army and retracted their "secret homosexual" policy:

http://www.qj.net/qjnet/xbox-360/xbox-live-code-of-conduct-changed-dont-ask-dont-tell-policy-nixed.html

I think this says a lot more about how close in mindset that particular Violent, Frag-happy, ultra-conservative, patriotic network has in common with Xbox Live (lol, I made a funny), but it seems the transition has been so uneventful that it doesn't seem to be all that big a deal overall.

Needless to say, this is a complex issue, but I think openness is the right direction to move to spite how many XBL users are located in the bible belt of the deep south. Of course they're going to make up some bullshit like "think about the kids" which his bullshit as XBL isn't suitable for little kids anyway and how can you take any "moral" stance while chainsawing someone in half.

Jangles

Mar 12, 2010
I voted yes, just because of my belief in free speech.

However, if you are playing WoW for example, then I would rather play with someone who has a creative user name rather than "Straightguy98" or "Gaysteve100". I don't really care about whether it is allowed or not, because if someone feels compelled to advertise it to everyone they are probably on either extreme of prejudice. Or near it.

Julianking93

May 16, 2009
Why is sexual preference such a big deal?

I don't care if you're gay, bi, straight or you like beastiality, I just want to play games.

Unrulyhandbag

Oct 21, 2009
Doug said:
Unrulyhandbag said:
1. What has sexual preference got to do with gaming? What difference does it make if the guy shooting zombies with me is gay or straight?

2. Just like any other tag option a lot of people are just going to lie rendering the whole thing moot.

3. why isn't there a "why should I care" option.
1. What does Gamertag/Screen name have to do with gaming? Why should "Doug-McNutball" be ok, but "GayDoug" not be allowed? (not gay, btw, purely for illustration)

2. And good for them - so?

3. Because if your going to bother voting, have an opinion on the matter.
I believe it's irrelevant is an opinion. It also appears to be the one microsoft has.